how to install Ubuntu 10.10 wireless drivers :|???

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by coolness, May 3, 2011.

1. coolness
    OP

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    I watched every tutorial tryed everything but when the sudo thing come i must type my password but when i type noting appears in the Terminal
    and i dont know how to find the drivers
    it started when i installed ubuntu 11.4, and it freezed and the wireless thing dont work anymore so i downgraded by installing it again via USB so i lost all my files -_-
    can someone help me with this??
    I also have teamviewer if someone cant tell but can let see how to do it

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Did you try running the drivers or hardware or whatever option in the main menu?

3. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    There isn't one. Ubuntu relies on having premade Linux drivers to find. The Additional Drivers dialogue only appears for specific proprietary drivers (usually the graphics card).
    So you downgraded and still have no Wireless... you sure the switch is on (I know it sounds like I'm calling you dumb but I really can't see why Ubuntu can't see it)

4. impizkit

Member impizkit Lazy Lurker

Australia
    I know what you are going through. The only way I can get ubuntu to read my wifi driver is to start with 9.04 and slowly upgrade all the way to the current distro. I havent updated to 11.04 because I have heard others say that the wifi driver is no longer found.

5. coolness
    OP

Netherlands
    my wireless drivers have been deleted when updating to v11.4, now im back at 10.10 via external cabel.

6. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    The thing is, if you reinstalled with a format that makes no sense. Since the data was gone anyway.

7. coolness
    OP

Netherlands
    Yes, I thought at first because the wireless driver already had been removed, it was better to downgrade from ubuntu 4.11 to version 10.10, and that i maybe then get my wireless driver back

8. cookiemonbc

Newcomer cookiemonbc Newbie

United States
    http://linuxwireless.org/

I haven't tried their backports and other drivers yet, but it seems like a good place to start looking for the necessary software to get your wifi working. I plan on trying when they carry my atheros wifi/bluetooth combination card on my tablet. I would imagine that your card should be covered on the list under users/downloads up top. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. [​IMG]

9. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just a quick note from me... When you type your password for sudo. It is alright that no password shows up. Just slowly type your password and than press enter. it'll make you sudo than.

-Tyler

10. Jamstruth

United Kingdom
    Yes but if you reinstalled Ubuntu 10.10 by formatting then the driver should have been reinstalled with the rest of the OS. Sounds like its just not detecting the hardware for some reason.

11. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.4 but have had no issues (other than I cant get the SCDS2SDK to work fully but that's another topic) however on the Ubuntu forums they are calling it the Vista of Linux.

However back on topic. You can download the CD from here and hopefully it should be nice and simple then.

12. coolness
    OP

Netherlands
    but there is another problem i dont have a CD reader on this laptop
    its a ASUS Eeepc 900 linux xandros, later i deleted xandros and now i have ubuntu i updated again back to 11.4 maybe its better for now to have but i also tryd wine to install wireless windows drivers etc but dont work too bad [​IMG]

13. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    Is your Laptop a dual boot system? If it is you could look through this tutorial.

BTW nothing will show when you are typing in your password in the terminal. You just type it in and hope you've put it in right.

14. kamins

Newcomer kamins Member

Lithuania
  15. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    I've just noticed. If you download from the Ubuntu site you can specify which version download you want (11.04 or 10.04 LTS), then whether its 32bit or 64 bit, then in section 2 it allow you to create a USB stick. That way you at least have a pre 11.04 Ubuntu on your system and once you have that then you can mount 10.10 as a virtual disk and off you go.

16. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    About the sudo thing:
    It's supposed to do that so peekers won't know what your password is or how long it is. It's being typed, you just can't see it.

17. coolness
    OP

Netherlands
    yes but when i type wait for some seconds and press Enter it tell me that i put a wrong password -_-
    EDIT:guys no need help anymore this isnot fixable everyone thanks for your help