How to install PKG?

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
how do i install PKGs?

i have the PS3 PKG File on my NTFS formatted thumbstick, and the PS3 PKG is placed in a folder named Packages.

when i go to the Package Installer on the PS3's XMB it says no Packages found.

i already used the NTFS Prep App.

and the my PS3 can detect my ISOs games stored on the tumbstick, but not the PKGs that i want to install. am i missing something?

any clue? thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
put the pkg on root. it's possible to install from the packages folder, depending on what's in the category_game.xml. that's the file that determines where you can install pkgs from. it's in dev_blind/vsh/resource/explore/xmb , I think, but it's been years.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do i install PKGs?

i have the PS3 PKG File on my NTFS formatted thumbstick, and the PS3 PKG is placed in a folder named Packages.

when i go to the Package Installer on the PS3's XMB it says no Packages found.

i already used the NTFS Prep App.

and the my PS3 can detect my ISOs games stored on the tumbstick, but not the PKGs that i want to install. am i missing something?

any clue? thanks.
Maybe it's because of the ntfs formatting? Not sure if can only read from fat32 formatted drives or not, but it might be the case. Also, make sure to plug the drive in port 0.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
tried putting the PKG on the root didnt work either. maybe it is the NTFS format, but kind of odd it can find the ISOs but not the PKG files.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i know, i would have to FTP the games to the PS3, but then it would be doubling the space needed, going to get harder for bigger games.
Not really doubling, you just install it and delete it afterwards (pkg file). And you can keep the pkg file on your pc if you want to instead of on the ps3..

Reactions: DS92

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Not really doubling, you just install it and delete it afterwards (pkg file). And you can keep the pkg file on your pc if you want to instead of on the ps3..
yeah this is dumb, these are disc based games that i am looking for, so i should just be looking for ISOs.
can i put ISOs on the Main PS3 Hard Drive?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i move ISOs from the PS3's Hard Drive to a Thumbstick, i overdid it and now have less then 500MB on my PS3.
Yes of course, use a file manager, something like Multiman. Now the usb drive has to be in NTFS format (not fat32) 'cause obviously ps3 isos exceed the 4GB limit of fat32.

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Yes of course, use a file manager, something like Multiman. Now the usb drive has to be in NTFS format (not fat32) 'cause obviously ps3 isos exceed the 4GB limit of fat32.
tbh i am just going to upgrade the PS3 with a bigger Hard Drive, but idk how to move all the PKG Games and ISOs over from one Hard Drive to another

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh i am just going to upgrade the PS3 with a bigger Hard Drive, but idk how to move all the PKG Games and ISOs over from one Hard Drive to another
With isos you just copy them to the drive, however with pkgs they're installed to the hdd and can't be extracted or copied afaik (unless you saved the pkg files)..
As for changing the hdd, from what i know the ps3 has to format it first then you'd need to reinstall cfw afterwards. At least that's how it used to be.
@godreborn would know if there's any other options you could go with..

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
With isos you just copy them to the drive, however with pkgs they're installed to the hdd and can't be extracted or copied afaik (unless you saved the pkg files)..
As for changing the hdd, from what i know the ps3 has to format it first then you'd need to reinstall cfw afterwards. At least that's how it used to be.
@godreborn would know if there's any other options you could go with..
can i go back to the old HDD if something doesnt work out right?
Post automatically merged:

how do i flash my PS3 when the site doesnt allow it anymore?

Last edited by DS92,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i go back to the old HDD if something doesnt work out right?
Post automatically merged:

how do i flash my PS3 when the site doesnt allow it anymore?
if you're on cfw already, you can just reinstall the firmware. I think this is only needed with NOR consoles. by this, I mean reinstalling the firmware after swapping the drive. if you're on a later ofw, then your only option is a flasher, since the site is down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show