• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Sorry (again) to ask a newbie question...What effect does changing the mac address have on internet connection? I would like to try with Raspberry pi, but as I've not really done much tech stuff before I want to make sure my internet connection will not be interupted. Would using a BT homehub 3 be an option for use with the Rasp Pi or would I have to get another router? And if I got another router, could I just get one with dd-wrt and not bother with the Raspberry Pi? Like I said, not really that techy, but wanting to give it a go.
There shouldn't be any problems.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry (again) to ask a newbie question...What effect does changing the mac address have on internet connection? I would like to try with Raspberry pi, but as I've not really done much tech stuff before I want to make sure my internet connection will not be interupted. Would using a BT homehub 3 be an option for use with the Rasp Pi or would I have to get another router? And if I got another router, could I just get one with dd-wrt and not bother with the Raspberry Pi? Like I said, not really that techy, but wanting to give it a go.

Just get another router that is compatible with DD-WRT and use it as an Access Point, then your internet will not be interrupted and you will still be getting loads of streetpasses.

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country

The raspberry pi doesn't have an in built wireless network adaptor you will need to use a usb wifi dongle to setup the streetpass relay. As the raspberry pi will be connected to the internet via a wired connection, changing the mac address of the usb wifi adaptor shouldn't impact on your internet connection.

For the BT homehub 3 I don't think you will be able to change the mac address of the wireless connection on the device. Routers do not come with a dd-wrt firmware loaded on it from the manufactures as it is developed by a third party, you will have to buy a router which is listed as supported by dd-wrt and load the firmware yourself.

Sakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I might have a go with my mobile first (when it arrives!) since that seems the least bothersome. Then I might go for the router with dd-wrt, though I like the idea of playing with a Raspberry Pi. Can anyone explain the basic process of using a router? As I currently understand it, the router picks up the broadband signal and allows my computer etc to connect to the web. How does homepass work with a dd-wrt router? Does that router create a hotspot that is separate from my broadband connection? And if so, where does the signal come from? Does it connect to my broadband to make a hotspot?

Sorry for the noob questions, but better to ask and learn, than not ask and stay stupid.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I run my homepass setup using the onboard wireless adaptor on a Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard. The internet is connected via an ethernet cable which is then shared to the virtual wireless adaptor. I haven't changed any of the properties for the wireless connection.

I use my own batch scripts to setup the virtual network, change mac addresses and start/stop the virtual network.

I'm not saying that anyone changed there setttings, but maybe the defaults are different for different drivers. So, it would be relevant to take a look at settings regardless of if you have touched anything.

I can confirm that (in my case at least) using a wired connection in and then creating a hotspot using the wireless card, I did not lose any sort of internet connection on my laptop. Now, you do lose connection on anything connected to that hotspot for a few seconds while everything restarts and the devices reconnect, but I generally found that to be a few seconds tops.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can you post a screen shot of your network connections... Do you the virtual adapter and does it show the network it's connected to is "attwifi"?

What do you get as the output to the following commands:
netsh wlan show hostednetwork
netsh wlan show drivers
I see the virtual Adapter in my connections but no actual Wireless Network is fed out at least all my devices can't see it. Could you PM me and help me out?

EDIT: OH! It works now. Someone should add his guide to the 1st posts. Odd thing, I'm not getting any passes from any of the MAC addresses. :(

BorealisRex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone successfully set up a relay using an Apple computer? If so, did you need to take any steps that aren't listed in the tutorial? I've tried this on four different Apple computers while I wait for a dongle to come in the mail for my Pi. I follow the steps listed, I can access Nintendo Zone etc. but the light never comes on. I've changed the MAC address manually, as well as used the auto-cycler. Are there necessary networking steps that anyone has found that's missing from the above tutorial?

bzlai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got it (partially) working! I tried many methods but eventually found out I could do it with my router haha :P.
However, I've run into a problem.
The Nintendo Zone app/icon flashes and I can access it just fine but I don't get any streetpass tags!
I tried reading through the thread to see if anyone else had this problem but there's over 70 pages T-T.

Reactions: kp_centi

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been doing some more experimenting with MACs and the Atheros chip set problem. I tried setting the MAC to the 2 range from the start and it then was shifted up to 3. That got me thinking that perhaps if another adapter (Ethernet in my case) was occupying the 2 address and I set the WiFi to 3 that perhaps I'd get lucky and it would shift to the 4 range...

...sadly, it did not work. I simply had a duplicate MAC between my Ethernet adapter and virtual hotspot. Really wish I could sort this out to access the full potential of HomePass...

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
Could somebody who uses the hostednetwork check the settings of their wireless and mini port adapter and let us know what the on/off, yes/no, or true/false settings are?

Not sure how applicable this will be to you since you use a Atheros chipset where I am using a Broadcom chipset. These are the setting from the advanced properties of my wireless network adaptor.

20/40 Coexistance: Auto
40Mhz Intolerant: Disabled
802.11h+d: Loose 11h
802.11n Preamble: Auto
Afterburner: Disabled
Antenna Diversity: Auto
AP Compatibility Mode: Higher Performance
Association Roam Preference: Disabled
Band Preference: None
Bandwith Capability: 11a/b/g:20/40MHz
Bluetooth Collaboration: Auto
BSS PLCP Header: Auto (Short/Long)
BT-AMP: Enabled
Disabled Bands: None
Disable Upon Wired Connect: Disabled
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
IBSS 54g(tm) Protection Mode: Auto
IBSS Mode: 802.11a/b/g/n Auto
Locally Administered MAC Address: *
Minimum Power Consumption: Enable
Mixed Cell Support: Disabled
Power Output: 100%
Priority & VLAN: Priority & VLAN Disabled
Rate (802.11a): Best Rate
Rate (802.11b/g): Best Rate
Roam Tendency: Auto
Roaming Decision: Auto
RTS Threshold: 2347
Short GI: Auto
Wake-Up Mode: Magic & WakeUp Frame

retrogradesnowcone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm running a dd-wrt setup. it works fine, but after a few hours the crons just seem to.. stop running. no more streetpasses.

if i go to the ip and manually disable/enable cron, it works again fine. anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
i'm running a dd-wrt setup. it works fine, but after a few hours the crons just seem to.. stop running. no more streetpasses.

if i go to the ip and manually disable/enable cron, it works again fine. anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Just making sure you know this (you probably do): you can only get 10 relays at a time. You have to greet them at the Mii Plaza to reset.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
IMPORTANT NOTE:

MAC's starting with 1E and 2E octects should be added to the default list, because many people are having issues with their routers, this will help them to get more Miss rather than the same miis everytime.

Is this possible? I mean those will be 200 more MAC's :D

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
IMPORTANT NOTE:

MAC's starting with 1E and 2E octects should be added to the default list, because many people are having issues with their routers, this will help them to get more Miss rather than the same miis everytime.

Is this possible? I mean those will be 200 more MAC's :D
Hey, don't forget 0E's! :lol: That's the modification I get.

I'm just happy streetpassing the same 5 people over and over but more variety wouldn't hurt. :P

Reactions: DSoryu

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I'm just happy streetpassing the same 5 people over and over but more variety wouldn't hurt. :P

I know, I have two routers, one of them changin the octect to 2E. I use that one for speedruning Mii Quest, because with that MAC I get lvl 7 Miis, very useful to beat all the chambers in the alternate secret quest :yaysp:

Reactions: Snailface

amrum

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finally got it (partially) working! I tried many methods but eventually found out I could do it with my router haha :P.
However, I've run into a problem.
The Nintendo Zone app/icon flashes and I can access it just fine but I don't get any streetpass tags!
I tried reading through the thread to see if anyone else had this problem but there's over 70 pages T-T.

In your 3DS settings, you have just one connection to your router right ? Not 2 or 3 to any other access point ?

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hey, a fellow 0E! I think I know your Mii, actually. If I'm right, I bet you're enjoying the healthy boost in numbers you get by destroying my army in Warrior's Way, haha.

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
In your 3DS settings, you have just one connection to your router right ? Not 2 or 3 to any other access point ?

I have 2 wireless connection setup on my 3DS, my normal home wireless network and the streetpass hotspot. They don't seem to conflict with each other as I have no problems in getting streetpass hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, doge is dead
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan: