How to get started?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by HavokLoks, Dec 7, 2010.

Dec 7, 2010

How to get started? by HavokLoks at 7:18 PM (712 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. HavokLoks
    OP

Newcomer HavokLoks Newbie

United States
    So I've been lurking these forums for a few days now and after reading through some stickies, I finally decided to make a forum account and ask for help. Now, I'm new to the Nintendo DS scene and since I can't seem to find what I need in the stickies, my question is this: After purchasing a flashcart, will there be anything else that I need to get in order to play roms and homebrew? I'm not decided on whether to get the Acekard or SupercardDSTwo but if I were to purchase either one, would I need anything else to do what I mentioned above or will I be set? Thanks in advance!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm going own a Nintendo DS Lite if that helps.

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    In addition to the cart, you need a microSDHC card, which you can purchase online or at almost any store that sells cameras, phones, and accessories (Walmart or RadioShack, for example).
    I recommend at least an 8GB, which will run you about 20USD.

The flash cart will come with a USB card reader which you can use to read and write to the microSDHC via USB drive, and the microSDHC normally comes with an SD card reader which is only useful if your PC has an SD card slot.

After you have the flash cart, and the microSDHC, you're ready to download and play the roms on your flash cart (just don't ask us where to find the roms).

3. dills2

Newcomer dills2 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    put firmware on and get a micro sd or sdhc and put games on also what ds do you use

4. HavokLoks
    OP

Newcomer HavokLoks Newbie

United States
    Ok, so basically any microSDHC card will do the trick after I've purchased the flashcart? I'm just asking in case that there are known incompatibilities between the microSDHC and the flashcart.

Also, @ dills2, what do you mean by "put firmware on?"

5. Lassik

Newcomer Lassik Advanced Member

United States
    Flashcarts don't come with firmware on them for legal reasons. When you get the cart you'll need to go download the firmware for it from the flashcart's homepage or another site that offers firmware for the card you've purchased.

As a side note, one of the best flashcarts out right now is the Supercard DSTWO but since you're getting a DS Lite and not a DSi, if you want to save some money you can get an original R4 DS and download the Wood R4 firmware for it. The original R4DS goes for around $6-$10 while the DSTWO is upwards of $35.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Don't just buy the cheapest microsdhc cart, cheap ones are slow and can cause loading issues with games simply because the system can't read the ROM fast enough. You'll want a Class 4 or Class 6, the CLass 2 ones tend to be cheap.

Don't buy it from bay or a cheap online chinese site, either.