Hacking How to force a Firmware Update?

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

I was wondering this. You know, when you just update your Wii, and then you try to update again, of course it won't because you are in the latest firmware. But do you know what does it check for that? Some IOS version? If so, would be possible to downgrade that / those IOS (installing them from WADs), then running the update again and make it run through and update again?

Thanks!

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know running the update option in the system menu options menu will update every IOS and System Menu to latest version if they are not already.

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehmmm... yes, that I know!
wink2.gif
frown.gif

But how do I force it to run? That's the question, I think it was quite explained in the OP. Thanks anyways!

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
What do you want to accomplish by doing this?

Now I want to satisfy the curiosity by knowing what does the "Update" button checks for and be able to force it to update, even if to the same FW version. In the future, to be able to overwrite every IOS with Nintendo's originals, by using that button instead of others FW upgraders.

pm_41

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Dan_Aykroyd said:
nabster92 said:
What do you want to accomplish by doing this?

Now I want to satisfy the curiosity by knowing what does the "Update" button checks for and be able to force it to update, even if to the same FW version. In the future, to be able to overwrite every IOS with Nintendo's originals, by using that button instead of others FW upgraders.
Sounds like an anti-brick solution in the making...
biggrin.gif

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehm... No
frown.gif
Just wanted to know where is the flag that the manual updated checks and says:

- Your software is up to date
- Your software needs updating

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I would assume it would check the version number and compare that to the highest number possible for your region, if its lower it would update it. If not it wouldn't. If you install an older version of an IOS (Maybe IOS Downgrader), then update it'll reinstall that lastest IOSs.

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes... obviously it checks for the version number of the FW, but I wondered... where? An specific IOS an its version? More than one IOSes? Some other place that stores the FW version?

Thanks

Dan_Aykroyd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Checking "all of them" is the complement of "checking only one". When you check all of them, how do you decide to update? If one IOS is older than the latest FW, that's how. So that'd be how it worked.

I don't know, but would be a good test to run. If someone has more info, please comment.

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D