How to dump GBC sav?

Jhyrachy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sonicrings
Thanks for your offer, i'll consider it, but the postal service here is really horrible (to give you an idea, a lot of seller do not ship to italy because the % of lost package is too high -.- ) and i fear more that the package will be lost or damaged then to lose the save using a linker :P
But i'll check some courier and i'll let you know if i find a truthworthy service :)

Monty Kensicle
In fact, i have a N64 :P
and i think i have the gbc game reader too, i remember using it with pokémon stadium :D
But the everdrive cost around 100$ and it was not used here D:

Reactions: SonicRings

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sonicrings
Thanks for your offer, i'll consider it, but the postal service here is really horrible (to give you an idea, a lot of seller do not ship to italy because the % of lost package is too high -.- ) and i fear more that the package will be lost or damaged then to lose the save using a linker :P
But i'll check some courier and i'll let you know if i find a truthworthy service :)

Monty Kensicle
In fact, i have a N64 :P
and i think i have the gbc game reader too, i remember using it with pokémon stadium :D
But the everdrive cost around 100$ and it was not used here D:
Awesome, sounds good. Hope you find a trustworthy service/get your save files backed up soon!

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
In case you missed it:

Also, such devices still have a risk of losing data. Although extremely unlikely, the risk still exists. The only way to definitely back up a SAV file FOREVER, as OP asked, is by transferring to a computer. This allows you to copy it to a USB, the cloud, your phone, etc.

I hold my Pokemon Gold save file very close to my heart. When I backed up its SAV file I instantly copied it over to every USB I own (over 20), every SD card I own (over 20), my two external hard drives, all my Dropbox accounts, my two Mega accounts, my Google Drive, emailed to myself, all my devices with emulators (phone, Tablet, Wii, DS), and even sent it to two of my closest friends. If this isn't preserving it forever, I don't know what will XD

How is your method the only one without risk? How will any other linkers which also backup to the computer somehow delete the save file? All you have to do to confirm the backup was successful is load it into an emulator before doing the battery swap.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How is your method the only one without risk? How will any other linkers which also backup to the computer somehow delete the save file? All you have to do to confirm the backup was successful is load it into an emulator before doing the battery swap.
Answer me this: How will you load up the save file into an emulator?

The first time I attempted to back up my Pokemon Gold save file, after putting it on my computer it turned out to be a dud: it was a completely blank file! Thank GOD I had a way to check if it was good! I redid the backup and it was a success.

Oops, misread your post, thought you said asked about linkers which do not backup to the computer. My bad!

As for linkers that backup to the computer, there's always a risk of it requiring you to format before you begin, and other strange things... Computers are complex but dumb. At least on a Gameboy, it's just dumb: can either get it right or not at all, no other risks are associated. :P

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy Christ this thread escalated quickly. Chill out folks, please.

In any case, the main issue is that you really can't access GBC mode from the GBA at all, partly due to a difference in operating voltages (3.3V vs 5V) and partly because of the completely different CPU architectures between the GBC's Z80 processor and the GBA's ARM7 processor. That's why you have to use tools and hardware made directly for the GBC in order to dump, restore, or otherwise manage GBC game save files. You can't even use GBA linker cables to dump the save files, as the GBC hardware doesn't recognize the GBA's serial link port at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock