How to dump GBC sav?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Jhyrachy, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Jhyrachy
    OP

Jhyrachy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2011
    Italy
    Hi everybody!

Today i found my really old pokémon yellow cartridge and, like a miracle, the battery is still working and all my pokemon are still here!
    Now i'm wondering if there is a way to dump the SAV to save it forever.

I have:
    GameBoy Color
    GameBoy Pocket
    GameBoy Adance SP
    GameBoy Micro
    DsLite

EzFlash IV
    R4
    AceKard 2i

There is any way to do it?

2. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    zfreeman likes this.
  3. Jhyrachy
    OP

Jhyrachy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2011
    Italy
    Nice, but 55$ is pretty expensive for a thing i'll use two times

sonicrings likes this.
  4. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    You can't buy one anyway as their Paypal account has been suspended.

I have what's called a Monster Brain by datel that can backup Pokemon saves to its internal memory and I use it to change the batteries in Pokemon GB games without losing the save files.

5. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    I can gladly back up your saves for you. Click on the link in my signature to be taken to my thread detailing how I do it! If you can't view my thread, just send me a PM and we'll go from there.

EDIT: 400th post!!!!

6. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    The flag says they live in Italy so I don't think it'll be cost effective to mail their cartridge to Canada and back to Italy.

7. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    It will surely be cheaper than $55. Let him worry about the costs. He'll make a decision based on how much he values his save file(s).

8. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I don't know about Italy or Canada but it usually costs me roughly $8 to ship something 3 oz or less in weight internationally and the tracking only tells me when it leaves the country so that's always kinda scary not knowing if your package actually arrived or not. Had packages get lost a few times.

Might have to seek out someone more local who can do it.

9. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Dude it's alright, Jhyrachy will deal this. Don't work yourself up over this. :P

10. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    How am I working myself up over anything? And please don't call me a dude. I know you want to push your save dumping service but the OP should try to look at every option available to them.

11. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    What is your problem? Why do you keep responding? Why do you insist the OP not use my service? O.o It's his decision. You don't have to decide for him.

12. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I could ask you the same question. I never said the OP should not use your service, I was just listing the cons of such an arrangement.

13. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Oy... Like I said, the OP can deal with this himself, you don't have to work yourself up over this. :P

14. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Why do you keep saying that? I'm doing nothing of the sort. You seem agitated that I'm not all for your option.

http://www.hkems.com/product/gb/gba-tr.htm

Here's something else OP might want to buy to backup their saves.

15. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    I'm pretty sure OP is aware of these methods (it's like the #1 search result, after all), and thought they are too costly, which is why they listed what they owned hoping they could backup their saves using what they already own.
    That right there costs a good $25 plus shipping at LEAST. My method, with the shipping costs you kindly provided, would cost $16 + $2 per save.

16. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    If OP knows about linker hardware already than why would they ask if the hardware they already had was sufficient?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datel-Mega-...d=1420266282&sr=8-1&keywords=mega+memory+card

Does anyone know if Amazon UK ships to Italy?

17. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    Funny you ask that, I asked the same question on this forum not too long ago myself. Comparing knowing about linkers and knowing if their own hardware was capable doesn't make sense. I was aware of linkers but since I didn't want to spend $35 plus shipping for the one I found, I asked here to see if a method existed using things I already owned. Turns out there wasn't, so I bought a Mega Memory card for $35 locally (gas killed, though, making it cost closer to $50).

But yeah, if you insist on suggesting more expensive means compared to mine, feel free. Like I said, it's OP's decision. If they want a cheaper, more reliable way of getting their save backed up, I will gladly do it for them, eliminating the risk of them screwing something up and losing the save all the while being stuck with a useless linker.

Plus, the Mega Memory card you linked doesn't allow the transfer of the save file to a computer. My method does. :)

18. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    You forget the weeks it will be in transit via your method and depending on the cost of shipping it might cost just as much as buying linker hardware. Though it is desired by most OP didn't mention wanting a digital copy of their save file.

19. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Do you know anyone with a Nintendo 64?

http://micro-64.com/features/gbromdumping.shtml

20. sonicrings

Oct 7, 2012
    Canada
    Johto
    In case you missed it:

Also, such devices still have a risk of losing data. Although extremely unlikely, the risk still exists. The only way to definitely back up a SAV file FOREVER, as OP asked, is by transferring to a computer. This allows you to copy it to a USB, the cloud, your phone, etc.

I hold my Pokemon Gold save file very close to my heart. When I backed up its SAV file I instantly copied it over to every USB I own (over 20), every SD card I own (over 20), my two external hard drives, all my Dropbox accounts, my two Mega accounts, my Google Drive, emailed to myself, all my devices with emulators (phone, Tablet, Wii, DS), and even sent it to three of my closest friends. If this isn't preserving it forever, I don't know what will XD