Hacking How to convert 3ds rom size size to GB? And is 8gb enough?

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Always use ROM tool to trim, but don't super-trim.

The way 3DS ROMs work is that the ROM size will always reach the cap of its tier, if the game size is within its range. For example, a 700MB game and a 900MB game will both be 1GB ROMs. The trimming removes all that empty space, so no data is lost but space is saved on your microsd.

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I can't speak for Linux (haven't specifically looked), but on Windows files are measured in KiB, but still denoted as KB.

All of your storage medium are measured in the new KB, though.

Hooray for standardization.

I think it's just a cheap way storage drive manufacturers implemented to save costs. 9% of a HDD is insignificant, but it can make a noticeable difference in cost for a SSD. Conveniently, consumer SSDs just happen to hit the market in 2007...

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's just a cheap way storage drive manufacturers implemented to save costs. 9% of a HDD is insignificant, but it can make a noticeable difference in cost for a SSD. Conveniently, consumer SSDs just happen to hit the market in 2007...

It also has to do with the fact that the International System of Units (SI) defines the prefix as such:

kilo- = 1,000x
mega- = 1,000,000x
giga- = 1,000,000,000x
tera- = 1,000,000,000,000x

So to better conform with our base 10 standards (and because of storage device manufacturers), the definition was officially changed.

Unfortunately, digital systems are base 2, not base 10, so outside of storage medium and clock speeds, the newer base 2 units are used.

Prior to the creation of the new units, however, KB could mean either of the two, hence the confusion.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
People got used to the SI prefixes and that could be the reason they are still used by everyone except for storage device manufacturers (which is convenient for them). In my opinion, the binary prefixes sound awkward.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How can a 3DS cartridge have more capacity than a single layer Blu-Ray?

While it doesn't, what makes you think it couldn't? There are MicroSD cards out there with more storage available than a single layer Blu-Ray and they're far smaller than 3DS carts (if physical size was your reasoning?)

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The HDD makers have always had it right. Network speed and processor speed also use the (proper) decimal SI prefixes. It's the RAM makers who were lazy and abused the SI prefixes back in the day, and that's what led to all the confusion.

TallBear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, my gateway is almost here but I need to buy a micro sd card for the 3ds roms. So the Zelda size is 8192, what would that be in gb? Also would an 8gb card be enough or do some games exceed that size? Do you think that 8gb would be able to support 2 roms once multi rom support comes in?

Unless you are a heavy rom user and light eStore user, 8gb isn't nearly enough as many rom games are in digital form and can be 1-4GB

This will eat up a card very fast

I use a 128GB card in my 3ds xl

If anyone says fat32 has a 32gb limit, untrue, it has a 2TB or 2,048GB limit. I have a 2TB fat32 HDD hooked up to my directv geniego. It's just that windows and other OS format utilities stop it as 32Gb. Just get partition magic and you can format any size SD card. I've even seen a friend using a 256gb card in his 3ds.

Granted there might be a block number limit. 64gb is just over 450,000 blocks. 524,288 to be exact. But after space used for format and the 3ds initializing it... About 450k blocks are available. So 128gb is just about 900kblocks ....256GB IS 1.8M blocks. Im guessing the wii U doesn't have more than 1.8M blocks either...but I don't own a wii or wifi u. I Use xbone/ps4/PC for serious gaming and N 3ds XL /Vita for games I can't get on the above systems and not available for the iPad either.

Hi guys, my gateway is almost here but I need to buy a micro sd card for the 3ds roms. So the Zelda size is 8192, what would that be in gb? Also would an 8gb card be enough or do some games exceed that size? Do you think that 8gb would be able to support 2 roms once multi rom support comes in?

Criznittle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it doesn't, what makes you think it couldn't? There are MicroSD cards out there with more storage available than a single layer Blu-Ray and they're far smaller than 3DS carts (if physical size was your reasoning?)

blu-ray is moving to 4k in 2015, even those will just be a maximum of 100GB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~