Gaming How to choose video card in Windows 7

Excellentnuke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop, which isn't even a month old, has two graphics cards, Intel HD Graphics and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M. Is there a way so I can choose to have my laptop always use the NVIDIA graphics card? Everything is detecting my computer as using Intel HD Graphics instead of the NVIDIA card. Is there anyway to fix this?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coincidentially, I got a laptop a few days ago with those same cards. And up until today, I was only using the integrated because... I messed up installing the drivers. If the drivers are installed correctly, you should be able to right click on your desktop and go on the Nvidia Control Panel and choose your GPU preferences.

Though, I suggest you stick to the Intel HD. The Nvidia card creates a LOT of heat.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Excellentnuke said:
My laptop, which isn't even a month old, has two graphics cards, Intel HD Graphics and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M. Is there a way so I can choose to have my laptop always use the NVIDIA graphics card? Everything is detecting my computer as using Intel HD Graphics instead of the NVIDIA card. Is there anyway to fix this?
i also have 2 gfx cards.
right click->nvidia control panel->3d settings->in the 1st screen, click drop down box and select nvidia.

this might not be totally correct since i don't have my laptop in front of me.

Excellentnuke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did that, and DxDiag and this site (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/) keep seeing my graphics card as Intel HD Graphics. I reinstalled the NVIDIA graphics drivers using the software that Samsung made to go along with my laptop.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Once the drivers are installed properly, nVidia Optimus technology is supposed to automatically switch the active GPU (graphical processing unit, since there are no graphics "cards" in laptops) depending on the type of application you're running. If you're just browsing the web or watching videos, it's supposed to stick to the Intel HD graphics (that's built into the CPU) because it uses far less power. If you're gaming or running a big graphics software suite (e.g. A video editing program), then it's supposed to automatically switch to the nVidia graphics for a large performance boost. The nVidia graphics will take up more power and produce more heat, but that's to be expected when gaming.

EDIT: fixed a couple typos. Typing on an iPad can be annoying sometimes...

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellentnuke said:
I do, but I'm still a tad bothered by how DxDiag and Can You Run It? show that I'm using an Intel HD Graphics card.
On the global settings tab, I have the option to always use dedicated. Make sure firefox.exe, dxdiag.exe and java and flash are set to dedicated. No reason why they wouldn't see it if you do that.

If you can't, set a game you have to run using integrated graphics. You should see a MAJOR difference in quality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?