Homebrew How to back up GameCube saves to PC...

Death Eye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to back up my GameCube saves to my PC, but finding a GameShark for the Cube is like looking for the Holy Grail, the Action Replay's accompanying device that I've read can do it is unstable. from what I've read, and the EMS product was corrupt on arrival at my house.
With no more ideas I can trust to work without erasing several thousand hours of game time (I think), I turn to Wii homebrew.
Problem is, I've read that Wiis with homebrew can be rendered entirely dysfunctional by updates and possibly even using the Wi-fi, and I'm not the only one that uses the Wii anyway, so all that Homebrew Channel stuff is something I need to avoid if at all possible.
Is there a way to do it without the Homebrew Channel or any other lasting effects on the Wii itself that could leave it broken and without a warranty to replace it?
If not, is there a way to set up the homebrew without one of those USB Geckos? Because if I can avoid it I would like to not make any purchases in the process of doing this. (It didn't go so well last time I bought something to back up my saves...)

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use a game exploit to launch one of the 3 or 4 homebrew apps that can dump saves from a GC memory card to SD card.

Death Eye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, there's no way to do it with nothing more than the Wii's web browser (That I've not used and don't know the limitations and abilities of)?

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...No. There is no way. Unless you hack your Wii. Which is very easy with ModMii. So just do it. There's no harm in doing it, barely any risk of bricking unless you can't follow basic instructions.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Death Eye said:
So, there's no way to do it with nothing more than the Wii's web browser (That I've not used and don't know the limitations and abilities of)?
No, but if you have a computer with an SD Card slot, then as GiantPune said, you can use an exploit to launch something like NuGaSa. No lasting effects, no bricking.

P.S. My Wii is also a family Wii. My solution: Place the HBC on the 4th page of the Wii Menu.
Also, hacking education is best. My whole family now uses the USB loader I set up.

Death Eye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I know how to do the exploits thanks to YouTube, but the videos seem to show how to install the HBC. How do I run NuGaSa with the exploit? Do I just need to put the boot.dol on the SD Card and use the exploit?

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there was extra hardware that one could buy that let you read memory cards on a pc. i'm pretty sure it's really hard to find these days.

Death Eye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sweenish said:
there was extra hardware that one could buy that let you read memory cards on a pc. i'm pretty sure it's really hard to find these days.
Yes, it is. I have one, but it was corrupt when I got it and can't be un-corrupted without paying who-knows-how-much to send it back to Hong Kong to get it repaired, and it'll probably get broken on the way back. That's why I'm trying homebrew to get my files backed up.

Death Eye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've tried using the exploit. The exploit works, but NuGaSa doesn't launch. It says it failed to load boot.elf or something. There's a boot.dol on the SD card that came in the download, do I need to rename that to get the boot.elf?
Oh, and it is definitely formatted properly.

Oh, wait, never mind. I figured it out. Needed Front SD ELF Loader.

Death Eye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did. I successfully got the backup application to work and backed up my Gotcha Force save, but that's all I was particularly concerned with backing up since I've logged several hundred hours in that save that I don't want to lose. And just about everything else I play can be copied anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday