Homebrew How to apply a backup?

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
So, I was following a guide on CFW (because when it comes down to things such as Luma, i'm an utter noob) and I managed to do a ctrtransfer to 2.1.0 successfully.

Then I moved onto this step of the guide, which appeared to be going OKAY. I understand the uTorrent steps and followed the guide, even double checking I had each file correct (to what the guide was telling) and went onto booting my O3DS in 2.1.0. I insterted the SD card AFTER it was booted, which is what the guide says I assume, and proceeded to enter the url as prompted. When armloader9 actually booted, it said something about a payload error and I then gave up at that point because I'd been running into a few errors before hand. I decided to call it a day (and here is where I really think I screwed up) I did back up as it says in the previous step.
"If you do not already have a NAND backup, backup SysNAND to NANDmin.bin when prompted by pressing (A)
  • Having a backup of your device’s NAND is REQUIRED.
  • Skipping this backup will result in the LOSS of all installed games and saves!"
I updated the system via system settings, and fixed my SD into it's previous state (deleting a lot of the payloads and .bin files required ect.) and booted up my 3DS. Immediately it had my custom theme that was previously installed, there. Most my (legit) CIA games weren't there which I wasn't surprised by, but now I have no idea how to get them back. My safeHAX no longer works due to removing a payload, and I have no idea how to retrieve any of my savedata from my backup. safeHAX is still in my homebrew but does anyone know whether i'll have to reinstall all my CIAs or what I'll have to do to retrieve this
'backup' I created in safeHAX before doing the ctrtransfer.

Also, it comes up in FBI as under 'Ext Save Data'.

I honestly wish I'd tried to figure out the payload issue with armloader9, because a lot of the games had progress. Sorry if I sound like a noob lool, I'm honestly not used to payloads or .bin files. I only really know basic homebrew + legit CIA install + save manager in all honestly.

++ Does anyone know a way to skip sig check without a CFW or am I just being a noob again? I can't even install cakeFW without screwing up somehow.

Last edited by vinstage,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, well assuming you don't have Hourglass9 on your 3DS anymore, you should still at least have it downloaded, place it in SD:/luma/payloads, and rename it from "Hourglass9.bin" to "start_Hourglass9.bin". Hold start and power up your 3DS, choose "SysNAND Backup/Restore", "SysNAND Restore (keep a9lh)". That will restore the last NANDmin.bin made.(This file along with the corresponding SHA file should be in your "files9" folder located on the root of your SD card.)

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,
Reactions: vinstage

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
OK, well assuming you don't have Hourglass9 on your 3DS anymore, you should still at least have it downloaded, place it in SD:/luma/payloads, and rename it from "Hourglass9.bin" to "start_Hourglass9.bin". Hold start and power up your 3DS, choose "SysNAND Backup/Restore", "SysNAND Restore (keep a9lh)". That will restore the last NANDmin.bin made.(This file along with the corresponding SHA file should be in your "files9" folder located on the root of your SD card.)

No I didn't have Hourglass9 on my 3DS, is anything else meant to be inside luma/payloads, or does Hourglass9 work simply on it's own (without CFW)

++I installed the hourglass9.bin and renamed to start_Hourglass9.bin, but had to create the luma file and payload file, as it wasn't there before hand/I probably deleted it earlier.

I hold start and boot up my O3DS (11.2) and it comes up with normal home menu. I'll look around google some more, see if it might be just me.

Last edited by vinstage,

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
So you want to restore the nandmin.bin backup you made?

Follow the guide from the start like before, up to booting decrypt9 - and this time instead of the 2.1 ctrnand transfer you restore the nandmin.bin

vinstage

sweg
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
So you want to restore the nandmin.bin backup you made?

Follow the guide from the start like before, up to booting decrypt9 - but instead of the 2.1 ctrnand transfer you restore the nandmin.bin
Thank you, I don't know why I overlooked this, I think I was panicking because of the amount of game save data I could've lost.
It's the only necessary luma payload to have, that I'm aware of. It's main purpose is for creating/restoring NAND backups.
Sorry, I don't think I really made myself clear in the original post, but thank you for explaining the CFW side of things, in case I do eventually get round to Luma. I think my trouble was I gave up halfway without realising and just made it worse for myself, without having a CFW for some stability.
My sysNAND is restoring now. Thank god.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I don't know why I overlooked this, I think I was panicking because of the amount of game save data I could've lost.

Sorry, I don't think I really made myself clear in the original post, but thank you for explaining the CFW side of things, in case I do eventually get round to Luma. I think my trouble was I gave up halfway without realising and just made it worse for myself, without having a CFW for some stability.
My sysNAND is restoring now. Thank god.
Ah I see, I thought you had already installed A9LH and Luma3DS. So yeah, Hourglass9 wouldn't have booted for you. My bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all