Hacking How the hell do people burn their Wiis?

bttfpromo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, it's not that hard to solder the points. With a 15-watt, you just hold for half a second, then push the flux into the tip.

Repeat a few times, then do on the modchip board.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah it looks like people are not just using very hot irons (which in experienced hands wouldnt be a problem), but it looks like they like to touch the pcb ALOT and also like to rest the tip of the iron on things like connectors and ribbons.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ya i was wondering too

I was very inexperienced when i did it, used a huge tipped iron,really thick solder and i did a perfect install. I dont understand how people manage to do such damage to their Wiis.

Soybomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My wii went fine but I've lifted pads off a pcb in the past. I think its easy to want to get that perfect solder joint and in a split second you've applied too much heat and its all over. Ok to great to sad takes place over a second or two
biggrin.gif

Robotochan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had 20 minutes practise on an old IDE Controller PCI Card. I will say that my soldering job way beyond sub par but it all works fine. Took Solder Pad 3 off the Wiikey but the wire stayed connected so I selotaped it down. Not even a sign of burnt PCB
smile.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
just spend 15AUD on a 15 watt iron. save u time and stress. most solder has flux in it. i wouldnt use lead free solder if anyones using it, but if your in the EU you have to use lead free.lead free needs more heat, and maybe thats y some of your pads lift

Killian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Watts don't really matter, the majority heat up to the same temperature......... its just the higher wattage have more heat in reserve so don't cool down as fast. Get yourself a damp sponge and make sure you tin the wires and everything honkey dorey : )

I'd never soldered before but did hours of research before I put iron to wii............... took me a while but had no problems : ) Have even done a friends now!

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldnt use lead free solder if anyones using it, but if your in the EU you have to use lead free.lead free needs more heat, and maybe thats y some of your pads lift

My best advice in those cases are to use an SnAgCu lead-free solder (melting point ~217C), its a higher melting point than PbSn (183C) but makes a strong connection and is a better mixture than other lead-free alloys.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I prefer a really hot iron as I think most people burn stuff by leaving a weak iron that is not heated properly on for too long.

As for lead free most small electronics shops still stock lead tin stuff.

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
most importantly, a soldering iron with a SMALL tip like on most 15w irons. I had a 12W iron and the tip is freakin small, which means, easier and more accurate soldering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1