How stable are switch mod chips

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently modded my old and when I was trying to screw the heatsink down, there mod chip was too close so I pushed it over a bit.

The mod chip stopped booting and I had to redo a bunch of points trying to figure out what the problem was.

Eventually I got it working and I slowly rebuilt my OLED piece by piece turning it on in between every piece I added to make sure the No-SD screen was still there.

I have put my switch back together and have turned it on/off over 20 times now. Sometimes the switch boots faster than other times, I get really bad anxiety in between boots because it seems like at any moment the chip could stop working.

I used double sided tape but it wasn't as strong as I would have liked. Is the pressure from the metal shield enough to prevent the chip from moving?

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Double sided tape is strong enough but I always add another layer of kapton tape on top to prevent the metal shield touching and shorting the chip. From my experience hwfly oled v4 and instinct nx v6 has enough clearance between the metal shield and the chip, even if I push the metal shield a bit it still won't touch the chip. Are you using rp2040 zero?

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Double sided tape is strong enough but I always add another layer of kapton tape on top to prevent the metal shield touching and shorting the chip. From my experience hwfly oled v4 and instinct nx v6 has enough clearance between the metal shield and the chip, even if I push the metal shield a bit it still won't touch the chip. Are you using rp2040 zero?
I used kapton tape to prevent shorts. What I wanted to know is if the pressure from the console being built is enough to keep the chip in place if the tape fails.

I am using instinct nx

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yes I think so, i've never seen the tape loses adhesion and causes problems before, nor did anyone posted about it, so I guess it's very rare to happen. You can also glue the chip down to the metal shield, but that won't be necessary

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yes I think so, i've never seen the tape loses adhesion and causes problems before, nor did anyone posted about it, so I guess it's very rare to happen. You can also glue the chip down to the metal shield, but that won't be necessary
Problem with that is that if you need to redo wires or change the chip for some reason, the glue will stick to the cover permanently.Hopefully the chip will be okay, but I used regular double sided tape instead of the one shown in Sthetix video. I could not find that one, not to mention that I read on here that the padding on that thick tape can make the switch too tight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...