How smooth does Daedalusx64 run?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by jameslieb1, May 14, 2013.

1. jameslieb1
    OP

jameslieb1 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2012
    United States
    thinking of getting a psp as a portable retro emulator, but i want to know how smooth it is with n64 games

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    slow and choppy with sound on
    slow and somewhat playable for some game with sound off

3. jameslieb1
    OP

jameslieb1 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2012
    United States
    damn.. sounds terrible :(

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Everything depends on the game in question - there's only so much you can expect from a PSP, it's a mirracle that it even manages to emulate the N64 in the first place considering how different the two systems are and what little performance gap is between them. Try it out yourself with the games you're interested in and check results.

Here's a recorded compilation, it should give you a general idea of what kind of performance you may expect. The emulator is more optimized for some games, less for others hence the framerate spikes.

5. AaronZ

AaronZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Looks like it's improved since I last used it a few years ago, I wouldn't play games without audio though personally.

Since PSP runs PS1 games at full speed, running N64 games shouldn't be THAT much harder.

6. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    The PSP runs PS1 gaems via virtualisation, basically it has hardware capable of running PS1 gaems. And remember, PS1 gaems are running because the emulator was created by Sony. N64 is a bit of a bitch regarding emulation and is being developed by homebrewists not by a company who knows the inner workings of the system.

BortzANATOR likes this.
  7. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yeah, the PSP doesn't have to emulate a PS1 to play PS1 games, which is why they run fullspeed.

N64 is meh.

8. jastolze

jastolze GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2012
    United States
  9. AaronZ

AaronZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Popsloader release before Sony released the official loader? I'm probably wrong though I didn't join the PSP scene until like 2006.

10. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    Popsloader just tell the psp to use the Sony's POPS files that you have on the MS (to load a different version other then the installed FW one)

11. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yeah POPSloader should more accurately be called "POPSchanger" or something.