How should I organize my desktop?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tomato Hentai, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Currently, I have is crappily organized using colours, before that I don't even know what it was.
    [​IMG]

2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I just keep all my shortcuts/links in the MATE equivalent of the start menu. That menu is setup similar to how a well organized Windows 95/98SE/2K/XP start menu would be.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I auto-sort by name, but to answer your question, you should organize your desktop however you want.

4. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    *sweats*
    I don't know how I should organize my desktop.

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    One solution is to delete all the shortcuts and move any documents or files to my documents.
    If you want to launch and apps, you can always use the start menu.

Also, if there are any apps/documents you don't need, just delete/uninstall them.

6. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Get Fences.
    I dunno how anyone lives without it. makes your desktop look soooo much neater, and it's incredibly easy to keep it sorted.
    Prob need to pirate it if you don't wanna buy it, that's what I always do. It used to be free.

7. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    For games use a loader (Steam, Origin, etc).
    For system software (CCleaner, defrag etc) put everything in the Start button.
    For essential software that you don't want it to use with "Start with Windows" put into the task bar.
    Delete every program shortcut that can fit in the notification area (like the Antivirus).
    Hide every icon in the notification area that you don't need when inactive (like the Action center).
    Delete every program shortcut you don't need (WinRar).
    Put everything on your User folder. If you have A LOT of stuff, make multiple folders on your desktop for easier access.

Mine looks something like this:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

The three folders above are personal files and projects (blue), work (green), games (should be white but I cba). I use GIMP frequently so I keep it on the desktop. Same goes for MTG: O. Breath of Death VII is the game I am currently playing. If I press the Start button, I can access to all the programs to improve my PC (CCleaner, Disk Defrag, etc). On the taskbar, I have the web browser, mIRC and a music player. On the notification area I have mIRC (I like how it bleeps when there is activity), Skype (to change the status fast), Steam (I don't like keeping it open, so it's there), Ad Muncher (I can check when it's active by seeing when the cow goes omnomnom), Wifi and audio (to check the strenght/power). I am considering to remove the clock because I have it on my keyboard.

Mine is just an example, but you can definitely organize without any software.

8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Personally, I'm a keyboard junky. I use slickrun so much I often don't even realise I'm using it (it's freeware as well). It takes a while to set up and get used to, though. Basically, what it does is allow you to quickly start a program or folder by using a single keyword (or more, if you want parameters). On this rig, it always runs in the background until I press 'CTRL+W' (on an AZERTY-keyboard, those are close together). This opens up a prompt where I can immediately type a keyword I want.

Some examples:
    CTRL+W skype <- this automatically opens "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe"
    CTRL+W maps <- this immediately opens my browser at https://www.google.be/maps (or a new window, if there's already a browser window)
    CTRL+W steam <- this opens - you guessed it - steam
    CTRL+W w qdfqf <- I've assigned a single 'w' for a google search. In this case, it automatically googles "qdfqf" (I use ww and www for picture google and wikipedia)
    CTRL+W ne tijd <- this automatically opens the site "http://www.vertalen.nu/vertaal?vertaal=tijd&van=nl&naar=en" (meaning: it automatically shows the translation of the Dutch word 'tijd' to English. I've also got en for English->Dutch and nf and fn for French/Dutch).

This program by itself can clean up your desktop by itself, providing you can assign each shortcut to a name you can remember (you can have multiple aliasses for each program, so you can assign both toystory and toystory3 to actually 'start' the shortcut).

Other than that: classic shell. It barely takes any tweaking, and completely gives you a clean and working windows 7-ish start menu (though I'm on 8.1, it's been months since I've seen any tiles).

9. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Use the power of The Start Menu! :D

10. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks he's better than all of you

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    That one place
    I don't think i'm allowed to respond to give you hints on this

yeahh really messy

11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Might be messy, but that's what desktops are for. Sticking shortcuts to all your frequently played games and apps, with a few things thrown in there for ease of access. Also, desktops are a great way to slideshow all your favourite anime wallpapers :3

12. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    I'll second Fences.

13. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I take the minimalist approach to my desktop, choosing to delete most shortcuts and dump various things I save like pictures into otherwise unorganized folders. I rarely need to reference what I dump in the folders, and I use the start bar/start menu (which is on the right side for me) for my handful of frequently used applications.

My Desktop for Reference

14. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks he's better than all of you

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    That one place
    Alright i fixed my mess

Aww man super hyped for Bloodstained

15. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I got most of the shortcuts on the left side.