Hardware How screwed am I? (Strange boot loop, video attached)

shorty_bobert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Sony fixed it for free and even paid shipping both ways. I was out of warranty but they still didn't charge me. Just posting this because I hate when people solve problems and then close the thread without mentioning how they fixed it.

Just got this secondhand and as seen below, it will boot to the software repair bar at 32%, and reboot after about a minute or so. It just keeps doing that infinitely (I left it on all night)

Safe Mode is stuck at "Plug in controller and Press PS Button", however, I've used all of the USB ports, 2 cables and 2 controllers and nothing will make it respond, and it still does the boot loop at the same interval.

If I send this to Sony out of warranty, can I pay them to fix it?

And does it look like a PSU issue? My guess is a busted capacitor, but I'd rather Sony fix it before I tear it apart myself, even if it's expensive.

Last edited by shorty_bobert,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possible chance that the internal storage is messed up. I think it requires a heat sink, so it may be overheating, but that's just a guess. maybe the previous owner tried to upgrade it or something?

shorty_bobert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possible chance that the internal storage is messed up. I think it requires a heat sink, so it may be overheating, but that's just a guess. maybe the previous owner tried to upgrade it or something?
It doesn't have anything in the SSD upgrade slot, so if you're referring to the internal storage, is there actually a way to remove that? I'm also curious because the reboot loop happens in the Safe Mode screen too.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the internal ssd. it doesn't look too difficult to upgrade that, but I personally haven't done it. google how to upgrade the internal storage. I think the default value is around 800GBs.

shorty_bobert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the internal ssd. it doesn't look too difficult to upgrade that, but I personally haven't done it. google how to upgrade the internal storage. I think the default value is around 800GBs.
That will be great to try and find info about. Everywhere I've searched just brings up how to install an M.2 in the expansion slot, which isn't the internal SSD, but is "internal" so it's hard to search for lol

shorty_bobert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the expansion slot, mine's empty right now. I'm 90% sure the actual internal storage is soldered to the mobo. And I'm also fairly certain that it isn't the problem because the loop happens in about a 1 minute loop even in safe mode, which would at the very least have different timing since the storage repair is much more taxing on the internal storage and would overheat it faster if that were the case.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say send it to sony then. they should be able to repair it or send you a refurbished unit. I actually thought the expansion slot plugged into the back of the unit.

shorty_bobert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say send it to sony then. they should be able to repair it or send you a refurbished unit. I actually thought the expansion slot plugged into the back of the unit.
I'm hoping they will just charge me to fix it instead of sending it back broken since I bought it on facebook

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too much a pita for me to have checked it to begin with, since there's not much room to move my ps5 around. I think I could've if I moved the switch, but I was too lazy. :P

shano

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Could be a overheating issue or the internal ssd is dying is my guess. Are the USB ports blown or just the console is not responding to the controller?

How much did you buy it for off the Marketplace? Hope you didnt pay too much. Did you know it was like this before buying or did the guy do a shady on you? If cant fix it yourself your options would be getting a refund from the guy if possible, sending to Sony for repair, or take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

shorty_bobert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be a overheating issue or the internal ssd is dying is my guess. Are the USB ports blown or just the console is not responding to the controller?

How much did you buy it for off the Marketplace? Hope you didnt pay too much. Did you know it was like this before buying or did the guy do a shady on you? If cant fix it yourself your options would be getting a refund from the guy if possible, sending to Sony for repair, or take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
The USB ports charge my phone, so I'm pretty sure they're still good. I'll have to time the boot loop because I'm pretty sure it restarts faster when it's charging my phone, or maybe that's confirmation bias because my theory is still the PSU.

I paid 50 less than retail including 2k22 and a second controller, he told me the problem and I was pretty sure it was a different problem that I already knew how to fix so I jumped on it because they're still impossible to find right now. Can't tell if he wasn't telling me the full truth, but that's irrelevant at this point, I'm sticking with my choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!