How safe is using a USB cable?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Simplicity, May 4, 2015.

1. Simplicity
    OP

Simplicity Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2013
    United States
    I've been using the normal AC adapter forever now, and it's incredibly inconvenient. So I am (probably) going to purchase a couple USB cables for the 3DS. My question is, how safe is this? Has anyone ruined their battery/fried their 3DS? Can I charge it at 2 amps safely?

Thanks!

Margen67 likes this.
  2. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    USB cable is just a cable, its competely safe. Be sure to use good quality chargers with it though, 2A is ok and 3ds will only take 0.9A from it.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I used a usb cable that I got when I bought a flashcart, works fine. Normally I used my PC to charge my 3DS, but I have used a cell phone ac adapter with the 3DS usb wire. Can't confirm no 2 amps though, I guess if the wire supports it then it should work.

4. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Yeah, 3DS USB cables are perfectly safe. A friend of mine uses it ALL THE TIME with his N3DS XL and a power bank that he has. I on the other hand am as paranoid as you are, and for me using the original 3DS adapter that I have is not inconvenient, so that's what I use ALL THE TIME :)

Edit: By the way, he has this...

Code:
    http://www.dx.com/p/project-usb-power-charging-cable-for-ndsi-dsill-dsixl-3ds-3dsll-3dsxl-black-150cm-261837#.VUbxoZMb_vZ
    :)

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I usually charge my 3DS with a retractable USB cable I keep in my pouch and I've had no problems.
    The USB voltage is a bit higher (official chargers use 4.6V) I am not sure if this is regulated down to the correct voltage by the 3DS though, that might be the case.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Avalynn

Avalynn I'm here to help poeple out as I can.

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    That should be fine, even the Gamestop Universal ones are basically USB to a switching wall adapter. The incoming power is filtered and passed to the 3DS charging circuit and power regulators, of course there is a maximum voltage rating which these devices can handle, a decent USB charger should be able to handle that just fine. Make sure you have a decent AC to DC USB wall charger and you want to avoid really really cheap unregulated USB chargers at all cost really for any device. You'd want a decent 1A charger at least or 5W total power.

Aside: I have been using a normal USB cable for my N3DS since I got it and it's fine.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Always great to hear from someone who's AWESOME AT 3DS HARDWARE. This actually lifts my fear of using the USB cable with my Samsung 1 Amp charger that I got with my Galaxy S3 :)

Thanx Avalynn. YOU'RE THE BEST! :yay:

Margen67 likes this.