Hacking Question How safe is overclocking the Nintendo Switch?

If an app gave you a choice of clocks...

• Total voters

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's 100% safe, as it's just bringing the chip back up to it's rightful factory spec. Nintendo down-clocked the X1 chip to save battery life. And on some first-party games like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, it will self-overclock to speed up the load times. So technically it's not even overclocking, just stock-clocking the Switch.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 100% safe, as it's just bringing the chip back up to it's rightful factory spec. Nintendo down-clocked the X1 chip to save battery life. And on some first-party games like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, it will self-overclock to speed up the load times. So technically it's not even overclocking, just stock-clocking the Switch.
(not true, it's not safe, the board wasn't designed to handle it. note for boost mode, it sets the GPU to 76.8MHz,and they do that for a reason.)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No, it's not. As I said the board wasn't designed to handle it.
It's only intended to handle maybe 10W or 15W at most, when OCing you can reach 30+. It's really bad for the board.
Temps are whatever.
Have you seen any reports of broken switches because of overclocking? So far I haven't seen any.

Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

m3rcurial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever overclocking you take the risk of potentially damaging your device.

In my case just recently, my overclocked 780ti bit the dust and I had to upgrade to a rx 580. So stating this I know that devices are delicate with heat and I'm seeing apps on the Switch that take use of 1785 MHz now when the base clock is 1020 MHz.
I've seen threads stating people have been able to clock to 1.9 GHz but at that point things get a little unstable/hot. If that's the extreme on a scale to 1-9 with the smallest being 1020 MHz then the average is a clock of 1460 MHz.
So, I guess my real question is how safe is overclocking in general? Is 1785 MHz pushing it or is this nothing for the switch?

Push it to the limit

Theone5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine has light damage.
But it's more so long term shit.
I believe this could be the case similar like fast charging wich reduces the life span of the battery. I have tried sys-clk for a week now and (this is just a feeling) putting the mem clock tot 1600MHz in combination with the CPU at 1785MHz for a long period does not heat the device up that much.

However when I turn the GPU up above 537MHz things start to feel tricky. The fan starts to act like crazy and the Switch lite vibrates. When put back to 460MHz everything "feels" fine again. Though I can overclock the GPU to 921MHz I would not advice it in the long run. No evidence though, just a feeling.

Last edited by Theone5000,

RRuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now there has been a lot of different information on this thread, as I am still deciding if I want to do this for certain games and emulation on my switch I'd like to dig this up to maybe get some more opinions.

From what I understand and read on the internet so far, is the switch does not get that hot it should be no problem for the CPU (Which makes sense to me). But it could get problematic for the battery life since there is a lot more power drawn from the battery.

The battery issue would also be fine for me, as its not that hard and expensive to replace it. But someone on here mentioned that it could be potentially harmful for the board, as it was not designed to handle such high wattages. This also makes sense to me.

So how much truth does this hold? Anyone knows any good resources that may have tested this or something of the like?
What clocks would be safe (As in minimum increase in wattage drawn) and what would be especially dangerous? Any way I can see how much power is drawn at the different clock speeds?

This whole board thing would be a big issue for me, as the board is not easily replaceable and would basically mean I would have to get a new Switch, which is expensive. Also its especially hard to get a non-patched switch these days.

Sorry if this might be newbish questions, just new to this whole stuff and want to make sure not do make any mistakes. Have overclocked my PCs before, but with good gaming mainboards I did not even think of that issue (As I think the Boards I used were made to handle stuff like that).

Would be glad for more opinions and/or more insight on this matter

Last edited by RRuler,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now there has been a lot of different information on this thread, as I am still deciding if I want to do this for certain games and emulation on my switch I'd like to dig this up to maybe get some more opinions.

From what I understand and read on the internet so far, is the switch does not get that hot it should be no problem for the CPU (Which makes sense to me). But it could get problematic for the battery life since there is a lot more power drawn from the battery.

The battery issue would also be fine for me, as its not that hard and expensive to replace it. But someone on here mentioned that it could be potentially harmful for the board, as it was not designed to handle such high wattages. This also makes sense to me.

So how much truth does this hold? Anyone knows any good resources that may have tested this or something of the like?
What clocks would be safe (As in minimum increase in wattage drawn) and what would be especially dangerous? Any way I can see how much power is drawn at the different clock speeds?

This whole board thing would be a big issue for me, as the board is not easily replaceable and would basically mean I would have to get a new Switch, which is expensive. Also its especially hard to get a non-patched switch these days.

Sorry if this might be newbish questions, just new to this whole stuff and want to make sure not do make any mistakes. Have overclocked my PCs before, but with good gaming mainboards I did not even think of that issue (As I think the Boards I used were made to handle stuff like that).

Would be glad for more opinions and/or more insight on this matter
Temps are whatever, max safe power draw is 18W, which is also the max the official charger will provide.
Realistically, games won’t get it that high, but if you see the battery draining significantly while using an official charger, you probably want to bring it down.

D

Deleted User

I've been doing it for over two years in Retroarch but then again I treat my Switch like a console and it's almost always docked so that probably doesn't count.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Temps are whatever, max safe power draw is 18W, which is also the max the official charger will provide.
Realistically, games won’t get it that high, but if you see the battery draining significantly while using an official charger, you probably want to bring it down.
Wasn't the official charger max 32 watts?

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't the official charger max 32 watts?
32W or whatever was with a cuda stress test fully stressing all 256 cuda cores with a GPU overclock and voltages forced to max with the CPU also being pushed significantly at its max clockspeed.
It’s not really indicative of what you’d get in games.

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
For overclock users, maybe this help.

I mod my Switch to improve the heat disipation, upper to the SoC, there are two bad things, the first and most important, it's a plastic sticker (simulating copper on upper side) on the metal plate, I remove it, because not only not seems good conductor, its between two layers of bad quality thermal paste... so this is so negative for heat conduction.

I remove the sticker and put only one layer of Artic MX 4 between SoC and heatpipe, the Switch can reach the same temps (with more time than before) because the system regulate fan speed depend of SoC temperature, but disipate the heat more quickly than before too, on my opinion it's a good improvement.

The ram chipsets that are bellow the metal plate, don't have any disipation system on stock, put two thermal pads betwen chips and metal plate help chipsets to disipate heat atleast to the plate, and the metal plate to headpipe.

About the removed sticker... didn't know the reason why factory put it there... maybe prevent liquids go inside the SoC, but on normal conditions it's harder because have the headpipe there, but if you are paranoid about this you can apply a little layer of thermal paste on the borders of square cut on the metal plate, this help to prevent liquids and do contact between metal plate and headpipe, helping a bit the ram chipsets to disipation if you put the thermal pads.

If anyone know the reason about this sticker I whan't to know it, just because give me curiosity why they put it there making more harder the heat conductivity with SoC and headpipe.

After two months with this mod, my Switch still alive and still showing a little improvements, not only with heat disipation, it loads the same game more fast than other stock Switch (tested with Splatoon 2 and my son Switch), because my Switch didn't underclock like stock I guess thanks to better heat disipation.

I still having a doubt about ram chipsets, maybe isn't good idea comunicate with headpipe because SoC can transfer heat to ram chips, but for now didn't see any issue, maybe a person with more electronic knowlements can say if it's recommended or not.

I test the OC option of retroarch to see the diferences between OC and stock, but didn't for so much time, just testing things, but if this modification works better on stock things, should be better for OC too.

Unafortunally I didn't have images of the process, so can't make a tutorial, but it's very simple if you know how to replace thermal paste on PC or other devices, so I think isn't needed a guide for this.

Last edited by Chocola,

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
up to 2193MHz is still safe for me. btw just a few games that benefit from CPU overclocking because of bottleneck with GPU or so. Just tick with max 1785MHz to be safe.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not only with heat disipation, it loads the same game more fast than other stock Switch (tested with Splatoon 2 and my son Switch), because my Switch didn't underclock like stock I guess thanks to better heat disipation.
Placebo and/or other factors.
Nintendo doesn’t adjust clocks based on temps, it’ll always run at whatever the devs set it to until it reaches overheating ranges, where it’ll force sleep/shut off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.