Question How safe is overclocking the Nintendo Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by coppertj, Jan 9, 2019.

?
  1. 1020 MHz (Base Clock)

9.5%
  2. 1220 MHz

9.5%
  3. 1350 MHz

5.4%
  4. 1580 Mhz

10.8%
  5. 1785 Mhz

25.7%
  6. 1900 Mhz yolo

39.2%
  1. coppertj
    OP

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    Whenever overclocking you take the risk of potentially damaging your device.

In my case just recently, my overclocked 780ti bit the dust and I had to upgrade to a rx 580. So stating this I know that devices are delicate with heat and I'm seeing apps on the Switch that take use of 1785 MHz now when the base clock is 1020 MHz.
    I've seen threads stating people have been able to clock to 1.9 GHz but at that point things get a little unstable/hot. If that's the extreme on a scale to 1-9 with the smallest being 1020 MHz then the average is a clock of 1460 MHz.
    So, I guess my real question is how safe is overclocking in general? Is 1785 MHz pushing it or is this nothing for the switch?

Illuminaticy likes this.
  2. Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy GBAtemp Fan

Oct 6, 2018
    United States
    The way I see it is, my switch gets hot enough to hurt my skin playing Mario Kart 8 on medium brightness/airplane mode, gets even hotter playing online/LAN, I sometimes have to give it a break it's getting so hot, it scares me lol.

When I overclock in RetroArch, my switch is much, much cooler then playing Zelda, MK8, demanding switch games. Yes, it's overclocking the CPU, I'm sure long term it's not good for it. (or maybe it won't hurt? only time will tell)

I'd rather overclock in RetroArch all day everyday, then run MK8 all day everyday.

Adr990, username23bob and coppertj like this.
  3. coppertj
    OP

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    What about other demanding homebrew titles like the new N64 dynarac emulator or the streaming software? Accidentally left it running while plugged in to the wall clocked at 1780 with GTA V being streamed to it which when I noticed after like 45 minutes of not moving it, it wasn't hot to the touch like how you described mario kart 8 but... I guess that's not that bad then if the switch is really able to get that hot.

Illuminaticy likes this.
  4. Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy GBAtemp Fan

Oct 6, 2018
    United States
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't leave it overclocked past my playtime, I also only play handheld so battery is usually dead before anything like that could happen lol. The switch can get really hot before shut down, I saw a video early in the switch life, some dude had to cover the vents with towels for it to actually shut down, so I'm not worried too much about the heat from normal switch games, I could see overclock shortening the life of your CPU if it's done way too much for sure. But I've still never had my switch heat up as much as MK8 heats it. I also live in hot ass humid Florida so air temp is always a bit warmer and doesn't help anything

5. Sakuraibr

Sakuraibr Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2019
    Brazil
    1.7 GHz is the safe-zone limit for the Tegra X1 chip but possibly not the safe-zone for the Switch due to heat (and battery drain, of course). 1785 MHz is not pushing the console beyond the limit, so you can use it if you keep the temps in check. I don't remember hardware health problems being reported because of 1785 MHz overclock (specially because overclocking's still not common outside RetroArch).

I always use the Switch stock clock, btw, due to Switch overclocking being something new yet and I'm not taking any risks. I choose to wait for better software optimization instead.

Last edited by Sakuraibr, Jan 9, 2019
    coppertj likes this.
  6. cagycee

cagycee Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2018
    United States
    im sorry but i had to choose the last option. was too funny to me.

7. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Ah yes, another painful reminder of when overclocked my first android tablet and ruined the battery in the process. Never again will I overclock a tablet device. Ever!

8. username23bob

username23bob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    i haven’t noticed any side effects (new retroarch n64). i guess just don’t play for ridiculous amounts of time? like you said, switch gets hotter playing mk8 and zelda in handheld mode than overclocked retroarch running oot lol

9. NRamos

NRamos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2018
    Puerto Rico
    In my personal experience playing overclocked Retroarch set to max settings, Docked in TV mode (5-6hours daily) Doing this weeks ago:
    I have not had any issues whatsoever. The heat i feel from my nintendo switch is still lower(cooler) in comparison than when i use a nintedo switch game itself, playing 2-3 hours docked with a nintendo switch game when i undock it, it blows and flushes away the hotness(Makes like a wushhhhh sound)
    It is fine for me.

10. JuansPotatoes

JuansPotatoes Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2019
    United States
    So the only risk with clocking to 1785 is heat?

11. nifoc2099

nifoc2099 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2018
    Singapore
    I recommend testing out Witcher 3 using the Dynamic Resolution Tweak & do tell which game gives out more heat

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

May i know which streaming software you use that requires CPU OC instead of using the full RAM access (Press R Method)?

Last edited by nifoc2099, Nov 20, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted