How much can I haggle this guy?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by HuskyXD, Dec 20, 2016.

1. HuskyXD
    OP

HuskyXD Banned

Banned
    Nov 5, 2016
    Canada
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Say 600.
    Could always try.

HuskyXD likes this.
  3. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    i love how the 3 games he mentions he gets 200fps in are vaguely easy to run games, i could run all 3 of them fine on my 750 ti (if i ever bothered to check what i got on LoL and csgo that is)

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    To save others a click

"Specs:
    Intel i5 4690K (overclocks to 4.4 GHz stable, without additional voltage)
    Gigabyte z87x-D3H Motherboard (with SLI support)
    XFX R9 280X 3GB
    8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 RAM (1866 MHz)
    500GB Seagate Storage
    Thermaltake 500W Power supply
    Bitfenix Comrade White Gaming Case
    (Could include USB keyboard, mice, and speaker set)"

It is a several year old, second hand mid range machine (fairly low RAM though of a decent clock and small hard drive, possibly to pay for the GPU which is not that bad or maybe there was extra storage which has since gone to something else) at the time with what has to be one of the nastiest looking cases I have seen since the 90s. Why anybody would price it up using new parts I am not sure, well actually I am but I am trying not to be quite so cynical this morning. The games mentioned are hardly system killers and it also fails to mention the settings used for the fps counts.
    Upgrade potential is not absent but I could see this being a "get shot of it while it still has some value" play.

I would not personally buy it unless it was going for a token sum. If they have priced it at that you are unlikely to get it down to a level I would feel comfortable paying out for.
    It is at this point we usually get to spec up something equivalent, and I did start but it seems some of those parts are in the "legacy good stuff so we know you will pay it" price bracket and you could probably do better another way. General parts seem to be pretty high in Canada, maybe due to the less than stellar exchange rate but who knows, so I would have to take that into account.
    I had a quick look around and there are quite a few computer refurb places in the Vancouver area, several selling old business class machines with nice processors and memory that you could then stick a GPU into (maybe with a power supply upgrade).

HuskyXD, migles and RaMon90 like this.
  5. nitrostemp

nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
  6. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    Not a bad pc, price is high seriously. Maybe worth at least 600$ for used components, the cpu is awesome, the graphic card is old but you can play at medium high settings on latest games, only 500gb storage isnt enough if you install many games from steam.

7. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    You can build a way better ddr4 PC for $750

8. Elemi

Elemi Yo!

Feb 29, 2012
    England
    This is way overpriced for a 4th gen i5, I had one last year for under £350 with a comparable R9 card. Considering fast RAM and decent motherboard I would offer $550 and take £600 at best.

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    For what it is that's actually a pretty decent price, if he was selling it new I'd say grab it immediately. Since it's used, though, I'd say start with an offer of $600, but be sure to mention you'd be willing to meet him somewhere in the middle as opposed to insisting that price. Try giving him the $600 and then asking what the lowest he'd be willing to go is

10. HuskyXD
    OP

HuskyXD Banned

Banned
    Nov 5, 2016
    Canada
    Ok thanks for the input guys. I sent him an offer of 550 in hopes he will counter it with 600 :yay:

11. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I hope the price is C$, because that's an awful deal in USD. For just over $700 USD you could build an i5-6500/RX480 machine with faster DDR4 RAM, more storage, and maybe even a solid-state drive large enough for Windows and a couple big games; the only real tradeoff is that you wouldn't really be able to overclock the 6500, but at stock speeds it'd still outperform that by a good margin.

That said, $600 Canadian wouldn't be terrible. The 4690K is still a more-than-capable processor, and the 280X is still ready to play most games on high settings at 1080p/60FPS, although it's by no means ready for Ultra settings if you want above 30FPS in demanding games. The RAM's not the worst DDR3 you could get, but 500GB of storage is going to vanish quick.