How Many Nukes Will It Really Take to Instantly Annihilate Humanity?

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this article at Gizmodo, seems interesting.

Forget about nuclear winter. Humans are resilient. We will survive. So how many nukes will it take to destroy every single human being in the planet, on first blast? Here's the calculation in graphic form—with a surprising answer:

The first part of the graphic—created by David McCandless—shows how much space is actually used by the entire population. According to the Guardian Datablog and the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, only 12.5% of the planet's surface is actually occupied by humans. A total of 18,617,500 square kilometers.

500x_nuclear1.jpg

Now, the most powerful active nuclear warhead in the world is the B83, which has a destructive power of two hundred Little Boys, the bomb that destroyed part of Hiroshima. That's a 14.9-square-kilometer total destruction area. Complete instant tanning, and obliteration of anything in sight. To give you an idea of what this space means, Manhattan is 58.8 square kilometers. Central London is 26 square kilometers.

500x_nuclear2.jpg

Now divide the total number of square kilometers by the destruction radius of the B83 to get the total number of nukes required for instant annihilation. As you can see, we need 123.36 times the amount of nukes available today: 10,227 nukes vs 1,241,166 nukes needed to completely disintegrate every single one of us in a millisecond.

Conclusion: WE NEED MORE NUKES, NOT FEWER. Better die instantly than having to survive nuclear winter and yet another horrible movie with Mel Gibson playing Mad Max. One that would last for a few hundred years at that. [David McCandless—Thanks David Keyes]

500x_nuclear3.jpg

Original post here. What do you guys think?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn lol. I laugh in the face of death
rofl.gif
If that ever happens I'll eat every sock I own before the nukes huff and puff me and my house.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow, that's some amazing info right here!
I never knew a nuke would only destroy such a small surface. I always thought it would be whole countries at once....
Thanks for learning me something new today
tongue.gif

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
if history servers...thats OLD TECH.....(Nukes that is)

Personally i worry more of a BIOLOGICAL or CHEMICAL Hiroshima...

and if you think the mindless cleche that is "teerorrism" kills remember this:

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Health/T...Healthcare.html

ALOT LESS PEOPLE DIE FROM "terrorism" than heart related illness every year WORLD WIDE...

why dont you look and see what the gov allocated its funds for...the answer would make you SICK.....

This is all to perpetuate the monetary system that is by all means OUT DATED in comparison to the technology available that could fuel a resource based economy *that wouldnt be perfect but WOULD BE ALOT BETTER THAN ANYTHING WE HAVE NOW!

The monetary system perpetuates greed, war, scarcity, hate, and lack of general education...

TO LEARN THE TRUTH WATCH THIS!:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912

ca_michelbach

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't necessarily have to destroy a large amount of people with the nukes, they could be used to chemically polute water suplies and take out necessary resources. This would take longer to wipe out humanity but it would mean you could do it with less nukes.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
geedub said:
in theory only one !

The Nuke would have to be the size of Texas though for any results.

it really depends how far out of the box you want to look at this !

once one nuke is released , the rest will follow !

if one nuke could cause enough dust or watever to block out the sun , then were back in the ice age !

or if it ever becomes possible to nuke the sun , we too are gone

even nuking the moon , we're gone !

if a nuke was to penetrate down to the core , we are gone !

just think about that lol

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
or we could gather every human and put them on one large land mass eg america the release only a few nukes an bobs ur uncles everyones dead but in a war i dont think everyone will crown into america so scrap that idea

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc