AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since 1995. I had the online add on for the Phillips CDI pretty much just to play the online game Ram Raid.

(interesting fact) RAM Raid was the first worldwide enabled online multiplayer game. Players from any country in the world could compete against each other as long as they both had a copy of the game.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some time in the late 90s with AOL but I got no way of really knowing for sure.
lol. I remember that some people would save and collect those discs because they were sent to everyone, unrequested, for free. Then they would send hundreds of aol discs back to aol. TAKE THAT!

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Eversince I was Born(1996), my parents are both engineers, (father is electrical/HVAC, mother was a chemist/chemical engineer, so they'd have much more use for a computer in the 80s and 90s)

Dial up, aol,msn....who remembers catch-a-call?

Back when there was gold in that there thing called a cpu:

2020-07-26 11.06.13.jpg

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol. I remember that some people would save and collect those discs because they were sent to everyone, unrequested, for free. Then they would send hundreds of aol discs back to aol. TAKE THAT!
I would collect hundreds of them when they were on floppy discs because free floppy disc.

Anyway. Technically had some minor interaction with UK/Europe BBS (which is to say I looked over someone's shoulder), and similarly played an awful lot of pirated Amiga games so was inculcated into the notions of things via that and the burned discs of hacker tools, hacked websites and whatever else we used to get from computer fayres. Had some goes with compuserv not really knowing what was what, used school computers and council library efforts probably around 2000 or so (bit later compared to some here), friends got modems and laptops with modems not so long later but I was still mostly offline saving school (which was a single computer in the library or a year or two later as locked down as you like) and being at houses of friends. There was also a free line ISP that had an advert bar which was nice. Almost off to the races at that point.
Got DSL probably around 2003 but it was still a single modem that needed to be shared and worked over USB, a year or so later got a proper DSL modem with wireless and joined the wireless world. All bets were off at that point.

Somewhere in the mix WAP appeared on phones so various friends burned their paper round money on credit all the time (my ambivalence towards phones was already in place and seeing the pointlessness there when they could be getting N64 or PS1 games/discs to burn PS1 games and payment for the rental shop... yeah).

Remember my first time online properly following the BBS stuff if that helps. Already knew computers, networks (we had played network games with serial cables and then crossover cables before being given a blistering 10mbps wired network switch + a few patch cables from someone, though that also meant buying a network card for a few machines -- multiplayer carmageddon though... My introduction to vampire tap would not be for a few years) and basic internet usage (help files and said hacker discs, not to mention age of empires needed IE and that was an optional extra at that point).
Anyway we wanted winzip and none of my computer shopper discs, hacker discs or whatever seemed to include it (or winace or winrar) and Windows did not have anything other than its own internal unarchiver for cab files. Anyway school library had a connection. One floppy disc in we set it to download. Had to book internet time in 15 minute chunks and we got there at the start of lunch. It took most of the rest of lunch despite starting out so well and we righteously pissed off some kid a few years older than us who wanted to email his uncle in Bangladesh and the librarians were none too happy either (though they always hated me so eh).

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
...who remembers catch-a-call?

I think this is similar with Austrians "Half or quarter" Telephone Connection.
It was in the 80´s/90´s and not every Hosehold have or could not afford an Single Connection,so these Types was available too.
Half mean you have to share it with another House Resident or Neighbor.Quarter with 3 others.

So,if one of the other "participants" is phoning,YOUR Line was occupied and the otherway,so no Internet,no Phone.:D
You have to make deal "Times" when he or you wants to use Internet or Phone Calls.
A Quarter was more harder to manage.:rofl2:

Last edited by Alexander1970,

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We had to input *72 before the modem would dial out to turn on call waiting. If you were online and someone called the house, you got kicked!

Oh yeah, catch-a-call. In the US it was called a party line. I’ve never used it. I think I was born during its use (1977) and by the time I grew up, it was gone.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
I think this is similar with Austrians "Half or quarter" Telephone Connection.
It was in the 80´s/90´s and not every Hosehold have or could not afford an Single Connection,so these Types was available too.
Half mean you have to share it with another House Resident or Neighbor.Quarter with 3 others.

So,if one of the other "participants" is phoning,YOUR Line was accupied and the otherway,so no Internet,no Phone.:D
You have to make deal "Times" when he or you wants to use Internet or Phone Calls.
A Quarter was more harder to manage.:rofl2:
s-l400.jpg

It was a line sharing device, so when you called (or fax) me while I was internetting your ear didn't get nuked by my 56k modem, or boot me offline, easiest ddos ever

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My school got a dial-up internet connection on one of the computers in the IT room. It was an Acorn Archimedes, they used app packages in a similar way to Macs, so there was an icon you double-clicked to connect to the internet, but I discovered that if I right-clicked and opened it up, there was a script text file where I found the login details for the school's Demon Internet account. My mum had a modem at home for work, which I'd used for BBSs and shit, but I figured out how to use the school's internet account on it too. I guess the ISP never complained about the account being used from multiple locations (school, my house and a couple of my friends), probably simultaneously sometimes.
It was 1996 latest, possibly '95?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: