How is living on a middle floor in an apartment?

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apartment dwellers, how is living on a middle floor? I plan to rent my first apartment soon but the apartment I want is on the third floor of a four-story building as the top floor apartments are too expensive. I'm concerned about noise from my potential upstairs neighbors. The complex I'm looking at is a newer building (as in, I remember it being built) if that helps. Also, the complex is in the suburbs.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It depends entirely on the building and on the tenants. I am completely oblivious to my neighbours in my current apartment, but I've lived in several apartments where their presence is inescapable.

I'm not sure what I can tell you to look out for. Carpeted floors can help to dampen noise – but they're a lot harder to keep clean. If the floor creaks at all when you're walking around, you can probably expect the floor upstairs will creak as well. Small children and pets can probably make more noise than mature adults – but not always.

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends entirely on the building and on the tenants. I am completely oblivious to my neighbours in my current apartment, but I've lived in several apartments where their presence is inescapable.

I'm not sure what I can tell you to look out for. Carpeted floors can help to dampen noise – but they're a lot harder to keep clean. If the floor creaks at all when you're walking around, you can probably expect the floor upstairs will creak as well. Small children and pets can probably make more noise than mature adults – but not always.

I can say that the floors are carpeted. I've talked to a friend and they only had one noise problem but they issued a complaint and management took care of it. They live on the second floor.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
also an idea to keep the price in mind... of course it's not a strict rule, but if the rent is rock bottom, don't be surprised if the walls, insulation, management, quality of the other renters, are all worse.

bottom floor is worse security wise, since that's the most easily accessible from the outside.

Last edited by cearp,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Go to your upstairs neighbour, knock on their door and introduce yourself and ask about the building..... BUT.... this is mainly to see if they have any young kids.

If they do..... Look for something else! Damn brats will do your head in running and jumping all around their own floor all day and night :rofl:

Seriously..... I should know. My brothers and I were said brats many years ago :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Reactions: cearp

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
IT'S AWFUL AND COOL AT THE SAME TIME.

Pros:
  • You will never have RATS on your bedroom for they won't take a third floor as their hidding.
  • Insects like Worms, Spiders and pretty much other Crawlers will scarse. They tend to prefer warm and moist places near ground.
  • You'll get some exercise everytime you leave/get into your apartment.
  • Light cars won't bother you.
  • If there's a flooding, your belongings will be 100% safe.
  • Better view.
  • Will receive more sunlight each day.

Cons:
  • Depends on how stupid your neighbors are, you'll suffer occasional random noises during the day... everyday.
  • You can hear footsteps on your ceiling.
  • You will definitely hear when they drag their furniture.
  • Additional steps in order to get out of the building on any potential earthquake?

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...