How is leaking keys illegal?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheKawaiiDesu, Mar 21, 2016.

1. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    I asked this question some time ago in some random 3DS thread, but never got any answer, so... this is a sort of bump :P

Anyway, as the title implies, can someone explain to me why leaking keys is illegal? How can a chain of 32 (or 64, or 128, etc) characters be copyrighted?

And let's say I encrypt one of my hard drives. By luck, the key I used to encrypt my HDD is the exact same as the 3DS' common key (I know the probability for this to happen is insanely low). Then, I share this key on the Internet. Would it be illegal, since I don't know that this is the 3DS' key?
    Then, if some time later the entire Internet is aware that this key is the same as the 3DS', will Nintendo be able to sue me for sharing my hard drive encryption key?

I know this question is probably a bit weird, but it's been on my mind for some time, and I couldn't find the answer anywhere :)

(and sorry if this is not the right place for this thread to be posted, I can't really see where I should have put it)

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Mar 21, 2016
  2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    it's because ninty copyrighted EVERYTHING! even some hexadecimal string

3. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    tbh i am also wondering. but if they cannot sue you for sharing your hdd encryption key even though it is the same as the 3ds encryption key, can't we just find the 3ds encryption keys, then use that on a hdd. then it is the hdd enc key. that couldn't be how it's working

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  4. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Cause it will open all the coyrighted stuff, wich isn't good for them obviously.

5. Shinitai

Shinitai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2013
    Uruguay
  6. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Thank you very much! It was really interesting, and answered my questions :)

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    As I see them, keys are not copyrighted, because they're not the product of a creative work.

They're (allegedly) generated from machine-generated random numbers and algorithms, neither of which have "originality" (for this same reason, the current Microsoft logo - four squares - isn't copyrighted either)!

This of course is thinking about "classic" copyright, I'm sure the DMCA has some excuse...

8. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    BTW, if you encrypt your hard drive, don't share the keys and algorithm to the entire internet.:teach:

9. Goombi

Goombi Meme crypto = my crypto

Jun 1, 2014
    France
    RnVja1lvdU15RHVkZQ
    That's too long but I got the idea. Origin is accountable but computer science cannot keep track of it by design, creating the confusion. Seems fair.
    Interesting read nevertheless, thanks, might get back at it later.