How I think Nintendo can come back

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games,Online,"The young has become the new standard": This is what Nintendo aims to fix with the help of developers and the release of the WiiU.

Console Name Irrelevant. As long as the console itself plays good and people enjoy playing it, the console name doesn't really matter.

AdvertisingMoney, which is the area that Nintendo isn't doing very well in if I read the papers correct.

ControllerNintendo didn't change the format of the controller because it wasn't working, they changed it to try and bring innovation/new concepts to gaming. It's ironic what you said about getting into the gameplay with a regular controller, because the Wii Remote was also supposed to get you into the game more as well. (you fetty)

Stop alienating players This baffles me completely...buuut it could also be money. Only a handfull of people know about Operation Rainfall in comparison to the people that know about Nintendo. They probably still think that the games might not do well here in the US.

Nintendo saw some if the problems that the Wii had and seek to fix these problems with the release of their next gen console. We need to see what course Nintento will go after the release of the WiiU. It's WAY too early to tell.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Some points for me:
1. Nintendo has awful advertising nowadays for their new products.
(3DS is a DS + 3D? Oh, and Wii U is all about that frikkin tablet)

2. Nintendo has poor online for games - they care too much about the 'experience' but neglected this portion - REALLY BADLY.

3. What else to add? They are behind in hardware - but I don't really mind. The games are enjoyable

It's nice seeing Nintendo doing some 'catching up' though

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has really improved on advertising (now they're focusing on the other aspects of the 3DS, like the better graphics and gyro).

Name? No one really gives a shit.

Online? I don't see a problem. I can play a game of Mario Kart DS online no problem. God Eater Burst on PSP? Fucking XLinkKai plus AdHoc bullshit.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cris92x said:
Your view is very biased and you did mention that in the first post but I am just going to point out a few flaws in your list. The games you say?
1. No company just out right says no to shovelware if it sells. I think the wii has the right amount of sholverlware, im sure alot of ignorant users will stop reading around here and start bashing but hear me out. Go look at the NES/SNES/GENESIS consoles as an example: there are so many glitchy,buggy, shitty games that were released, do we remember them? No, you only remember the games you enjoyed. If nintendo had released the wii with specs similar to the xbox360/ps3 then you would get games that would be multiplatform and the same. the main problem with the wii is the specs aren't up to par with the competition. That is not to say the wii didn't have great games, it has some of the best games i've played and there are mature games on the wii go play the godfather, scarface, madworld all of them "mature" titles.

I didn't say anything about Mature titles. You did. I know no company says no to shovelware, but with the Wii, it just got ridiculous. I know there are Shovelware titles on Xbox and PS3 and DS, and PSP and every thing else, but the Wii took it to a whole new level. And yes, many of us remember SNES and NES for the good games. But when there's so much shovelware for the Wii, and their first party games aren't as memorable as SNES and NES games, it's hard to forget that there was a lot of shovelware.

2. Console name, when has a consumer truly cared what a product calls itself? It would only matter if its offensive... i mean what the hell does ipod mean? xbox? An for the ds to 3ds naming, what about gameboy and gameboy color or gameboy advance? How do you explain to someone what the difference between someone from a xbox to an xbox360 if they have not experienced it? The naming is only going to be confusing for those who don't keep up with their handhelds give it a few months probably near xmas when every kid wants one to play mario kart 7 that the whole world will know the difference.

I don't mean generations. I mean the horrible choice of names. Wii. That doesn't sound like a gaming machine at all. Before the Wii was released, it was called the revolution. We all thought it was dope. Then we found out it was Wii, and the whole internet goes "WTF?!". Wii just doesn't sound like a gaming machine at all, and WiiU only makes it worse.

3. This brings me to the next point advertisement, what better advertisement than the internet. Before you would turn on the tv and then see a commercial for super mario world and then go out and buy it, now thanks to the internet you can find out months b4 the game is even out for you to be ready to purchase it, the biggest advertiser is now the internet. Word of mouth is still a very strong selling point especially for something like the 3ds, only someone who has experienced the 3D of the 3DS can explain it better than a 2D commerical on the tv.

A lot of people don't like using the internet before a game releases as in this day and age, it's damn near impossible to not have a game spoiled for you. Just because the internet is a great way to advertise, doesn't mean they can't put up a lot of posters, or have more than one ad air more than twice a month. Like I said, Rockstar did it with Grand Theft Auto IV with the insane sized posters, and they did ads on tv while on the internet. Microsoft did it with Halo 3 having the ads on tv, superbowl ad, posters, and that "Believe" campaign. And look what happened, Microsoft sold a bunch of Xbox's along with the game, the game has racked in over $300 million in it's first week!

4. The last story and the whole rainfall operation.... they are rpgs and you know what happens in the west with rpgs? they dont sell well, its a small market. I agree though, NoA should have at least told everybody the truth in an open letter why they wouldn't release the games.

So just because other RPG's haven't sold well, it means every one of them won't? Final Fantasy still sells over here, Bioware products still sell. There was no reason for them to not bring it over. It would have sold, a lot of people were excited. They just didn't want to. And until they say otherwise, there's no other reason.

5. For controls, go play goldeneye for the wii, pointing to the screen will always work better than any analog stick or dpad in the world, you cry gimmick, go look at old arcade games, they started out with a 4 way joystick and 2 buttons, now well besides almost dead you can find those cabinets with lightguns to play a shooter, or an 8 way joystick with 8 buttons or a yolk for a flight sim, Different ways to control a game has always been a pinnacle to progress, what are you going to do as time goes on? more buttons? I mean eventually won't we want games with more features and the limitations of buttons severely limits that, motion controls let you get way more sucked in into a game than any regular joystick controller granted that of course the game was built for motion controls and not tacked on which has been a great issue for the wii a bunch of half baked motion control tacked on games.I say with time eventually more games will be better adapted to motion controls.

This is opinion and dependent on the player. A lot of people say FPS is best played with Mouse and Keyboard. I play better with Xbox controller. You can't prove it as being fact and speak for everybody in the world. It's just impossible. Pointing works better for you, analogs work better for me.

6. When you say gamers 15 and up what do you mean?

Exactly what it says. Instead of advertising and making games for the younger population, advertise to those kids older brothers and sisters. You can still make pokemon sure, no doubt about it. But when there's only a handful of GOOD M rated games and most games are E and aimed towards the younger audience, you're shooting yourself in the foot. You could be making more profit by killing two birds with one stone. Nintendo is relying too heavily on the Z Generation of kids. And it's because of that that a lot of titles that appear on Sony and Microsoft's platforms don't go there, because they won't get sold. But at least with the WiiU, they're bringing in some Mature rated titles (surprised to see Batman Arkham City on there).

QUOTE(TheDarkSeed @ Aug 7 2011, 07:31 PM) Games,Online,"The young has become the new standard": This is what Nintendo aims to fix with the help of developers and the release of the WiiU.

In order for developers to start developing for it, Nintendo has to show them how it's done. Also, the online is Nintendo's problem to deal with, not other developers.

Console Name Irrelevant. As long as the console itself plays good and people enjoy playing it, the console name doesn't really matter.

It's very much relevant. It may seem small and trivial, but a name of a product does matter more than what people think. Say if I'm buying a console. I have a choice between the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, 3DS, PlayStation Vita, or Wii. Which one would I not choose because of the name?

Not the greatest example, but it still gets the point across. A name matters. I mean would I want to buy a car that has the name "Mustang" or "Viper" or, would I want to buy one that's called "shit", if I didn't know what was under the hood?

AdvertisingMoney, which is the area that Nintendo isn't doing very well in if I read the papers correct.I call bullshit on your papers. Nintendo is nothing but money, especially after the huge success of the DS Lites and Wii alone, they're swimming in it. And there is no way that, since the launch of the 3DS, they are in that big of trouble. It's just impossible.

ControllerNintendo didn't change the format of the controller because it wasn't working, they changed it to try and bring innovation/new concepts to gaming. It's ironic what you said about getting into the gameplay with a regular controller, because the Wii Remote was also supposed to get you into the game more as well. (you fetty) What the hell is a fetty? And I didn't say the controller wasn't working. I said that, a lot of people really don't want to be flailing their arms to swing a sword.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of these are good points. Honestly, I just don't get the need for all these gimmicky controllers on their consoles. They don't add to the experience or immersion at all; more often than not, they just distract or irritate.

The Xbox 360/PS3 controller set up is as close to perfect as controllers get, really. Just use that, maybe add a few tweaks to enhance them, and focus on the important parts of the console - the games and online infrastructure. A Nintendo console, priced at around $300, maybe even less, with PS3/360 graphics, a large library of 1st and 3rd party games, and a good online system would definitely be a resounding success.

I appreciate that Nintendo wants to innovate with the hardware, and the tablet idea is cool... it just doesn't seem like the best fit for a game console (I feel the same way about the Kinect, too.). If the wheel isn't broken, don't fix it; innovate the gameplay instead.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
As several posters have said, Nintendo is still here.

Games
Definitely I think this depends on the person. Maybe someone liked Super Mario Galaxy more than Super Mario 64, or Twilight Princess more than A Link to the Past.

This one is universal. IMO every sane person knows that online isn't Nintendo's strong point, although they gave a step in the right direction with the 3DS.

Console Name
I hope you're not talking about the name meaning. Does the name have an impact in the way you play the games? No.

On the other hand:
3DS
Here lies what I think is one of the most hindering "features" of the 3DS. Nintendo decided to launch 3 revisions of the 3DS (Lite, DSi, XL) which is why people now think that the 3DS is just another one of them. That's why this differs with other consoles (PS->PS2, XBOX->XBOX360).

Wii
And that habit I mentioned above will probably hit the WiiU pretty badly too. Nintendo has made up a reputation amoung players of releasing many revisions of their consoles and to make it worse, the way they revealed it a E3 made it look like a revision of the Wii.

Stop alienating players
Again, you're right with this. I know american gamers who are boycotting Nintendo for not bringing The Last Story and Xenoblade. I was planning on buying The Last Story, but if it won't come over here then I'll just pirate it. As simple as that.

Controller
This one is personal too. I have friends who like the WiiMote more than the Gamecube controller.

Advertising
(This depends on the country) (i.e. the Robin Williams' commercials for Europe)
...And a commercial for Ocarina of Time 3D just aired on the TV. Here, in Mexico I think they do it somewhat right. Dunno about the US.

The young has become the new standard[/b]
"The younger audience is impressionable. If they see something that their older brother thinks is cool, they're going to think it's cool and want it." So true.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Muddied up the format and everything =_=
TheDarkSeed & Shadow Soldier said:
Games,Online,"The young has become the new standard": This is what Nintendo aims to fix with the help of developers and the release of the WiiU.

In order for developers to start developing for it, Nintendo has to show them how it's done. Also, the online is Nintendo's problem to deal with, not other developers.

cool.gif
(me): http://gbatemp.net/t297442-nintendo-s-iwat...flexible-to-dev

It's very much relevant. It may seem small and trivial, but a name of a product does matter more than what people think. Say if I'm buying a console. I have a choice between the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, 3DS, PlayStation Vita, or Wii. Which one would I not choose because of the name?

Not the greatest example, but it still gets the point across. A name matters. I mean would I want to buy a car that has the name "Mustang" or "Viper" or, would I want to buy one that's called "shit", if I didn't know what was under the hood?

cool.gif
: I get where your coming from but that's a bit out of proportion. In any situation, if I was looking to buy something I would do research on all available products as to ensure that I get the most out of my money. And to answer your question, I don't know about you, but if the shit was good then yes I'd buy it!

ControllerNintendo didn't change the format of the controller because it wasn't working, they changed it to try and bring innovation/new concepts to gaming. It's ironic what you said about getting into the gameplay with a regular controller, because the Wii Remote was also supposed to get you into the game more as well. (you fetty) What the hell is a fetty? And I didn't say the controller wasn't working. I said that, a lot of people really don't want to be flailing their arms to swing a sword.

cool.gif
: That just means that they're all fet!
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
machomuu said:
Come back? When did they ever leave?

They never left but they seem to be doing alot of half-assed things over the years and pissing off alot of there current fans...

But to them it's a big "Who gives a fuck" because they're making more sales than ever before (with the Wii and DS at least).

One thing Nintendo realized is that their fanbase is hardly as important as people make it out to be. Their fanbase couldn't carry the Gamecube far enough, or the N64. They needed more appeal.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be honest and non-biased, i don't see a problem with nintendo getting cut within the next couple decades.
i understand where you come from as a fanboy, ShadowSoldier, but again, from a non-biased point of view you have to understand that you're basically trying to bring back to life an industry that's been around for decades, has lost its appeal, has pumped out the same titles over and over, refuses to step their game up and use current to next-gen hardware, is chock full of shovelware for the kiddies, and failed miserably with their latest console, the 3DS. not talking sales, of course. i mean the system itself.

now i love nintendo games like i love any other platform games, but i think they had their run.
nintendo has been given the position as the children/family gaming industry, and that's where i think they belong.
a few gems here and there for the gamers (and by a few gems i mean the hundreds of amazing games exclusive to nintendo consoles), scattered among a sea of shovelware and uninspired sequels to the same franchises you've been playing since the '80s.

they had a good run. let the dream die, man.
i'm not saying i want nintendo to end, or that i think they should. i love nintendo. but if their time is up then their time is up. it's time to shift your fanboyism towards the likes of something better. if they make a comeback with the wii-u (which they won't, since it's hardly above par with the current-generation's PS3 and X360 [remember, they refuse to implement any sort of advanced hardware] and will soon be outdone by PS4 and Xbox 3), more power to them. nintendo was always my go-to choice for RPGs, so i'd like to see them step outside of their "we only use old shitty hardware" bubble, and surprise me with something that i want to buy on launch day. LIKE THE FUCKING VITA.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Guess what my little brother said to me the other day?

"Did you know they're making a new add-on for the Wii? It's called the WiiU."

My other little brother was listing all the Nintendo handheld systems a few days ago, here's what he said:

"Gameboy > GB Colour > GBA > GBA SP > GB Micro that's the gameboy generation. After that it goes DS > DS Lite > DSi > DSi XL > 3DS."

^That is EXACTLY why they need to change their names. If it wasn't for the internet I would think exactly the same thing.

Also, with their 1st party games, when was the last time they actually came up with a NEW character in their own series? They just keep repeating the same people over and over. This page shows Nintendo's franchises

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
InuYasha said:
machomuu said:

They never left but they seem to be doing alot of half-assed things over the years and pissing off alot of there current fans...

But to them it's a big "Who gives a fuck" because they're making more sales than ever before (with the Wii and DS at least).

One thing Nintendo realized is that their fanbase is hardly as important as people make it out to be. Their fanbase couldn't carry the Gamecube far enough, or the N64. They needed more appeal.

The N64 one is debatable. Just like Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

QUOTE(Scott-105 @ Aug 8 2011, 07:24 AM)
I agree with pretty much everything. Especially the freaking online. It sucks so bad.

Speaking of online, what's your 3DS friend code?
tongue.gif

I don't know yet, I don't have a wireless router so it's pointless right now lol.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
The N64 one is debatable. Just like Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

The SNES did win though. The N64 was outsold roughly 3 to 1 by the PSX. That's an incredibly harsh defeat for someone whose had their foot in the gaming industry's door for a while now.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I totally agree with al of this except one thing.

The Wii remote is one of the sweetest controllers to be released for quite a while. For the first time, your hands are not locked in place, you can position then wherever you want. It's even leftie-friendly. The pointer feature can even, in some cases (see Metroid Prime 3) be an excellent second analog replacement.

Sure, it'd be just great if Nintendo went and put out a dual analog controller al la dual shock, but the Wii remote isn't bad. If you think all Wii games require you to "get up off the couch" then you're doing it wrong.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i play cod with my older bro and my buddy on 360, on zombies, but when it comes to online head to head ill leave a game on the 360 5 kill 25 death.... cod on the wii with motion controls i do 40 kill 10 death ratio.... its not just because im playing kids... if i switch to classic controller i do just as bad as on the 360.... i get a rush doing fps with wii zapper motion control...ya know heart racing and sweating fun....if i play with dual sticks i get bored and cant play worth shit, not even the same feeling....its all about motion control for me.. im sure others feel the same way

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Midna said:
The Wii remote is one of the sweetest controllers to be released for quite a while.
Only bad thing about it is telling adults how to use the thing.

"You're too close to the TV"
"Why are you stretching your arm out?"

Rage. Everytime.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
InuYasha said:
Make less shovelware,bring over more japan titles,cut down on rehashing older games and for the love of god find a way to bring some zoid titles back on the nintendo system for us english speaking folk...
Do you mean Nintendo as a whole (Sega, Capcom,etc) or Nintendo itself?
I didn't remember Nintendo ever making shovelware.Unless you mean "Allow less shovelware".
Snailface said:
8. I'll add one more thing.

Miyamoto has a tendency to do something called "Upending the Tea Table"* where he'll completely scrape a good but not great idea at or near the completion of a project. This leads to less projects being completed overall and is thus a partial reason they don't have enough titles to satisfy the hardcore's demand.

Iwata needs to put his foot down and stop Miyamoto from doing this so Nintendo can be more productive. The lack of games resulting from "Upending the Tea Table" is killing Nintendo.

* http://www.industrygamers.com/news/zelda-p...or-development/
I think you read wrong and/or got the wrong idea from that article.

It more like the game they are working on get multiple changes in development. It not like screw this game let go on to the next big thing.

machomuu said:
Never did.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(heartgold @ Aug 7 2011, 07:41 PM) I agree with you, the success of the Wii and DS has given them so much profit that they can afford to slip up with the 3DS. This is a 30 years old experienced company in the video game industry, they'll know what to do.

Only good software will increase the sales for the 3DS, thankfully holiday season is looking good, 3DS hasn't failed, it's just they Nintendo expectations were higher.
hrth.gif

QUOTE(Hells Malice @ Aug 7 2011, 07:54 PM)
and the 3DS IS an upgraded DS. It's the same system, with 3D, better hardware, and a few new features.
No.

/post

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
InuYasha said:
Make less shovelware,bring over more japan titles,cut down on rehashing older games and for the love of god find a way to bring some zoid titles back on the nintendo system for us english speaking folk...

Nintendo as a whole? What? Sega, Capcom and those are not part of Nintendo at all.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
KingVamp said:
InuYasha said:

Nintendo as a whole? What? Sega, Capcom and those are not part of Nintendo at all.
I meant work for/with Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work