ROM Hack How hard is it to hex edit gamesaves for Nintendo 3DS SNES Virtual Console games?

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried to figure out how to hex edit them but couldn't.

For example, I wanted to hex edit a save for EarthBound.

I get the feeling that it's not as easy or simple as hex editing something like Ever Oasis. Is there a process to this?

Thanks.
Dump the save using JKSM, then hex edit the resulting file

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
JKSM is all I use. :P Problem was figuring out which one to hex edit, couldn't seem to find what I was looking for in them. (Money stats, EXP, etc.) It dumps like 4 files, I think. Not sure if they're protected or require a checksum either as I am not knowledgeable in that area.

Thanks for the response.

I wish the guy here would update his editor to work with EarthBound 3DS VC saves:

https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/36822/page/1
What files do they dump? May I see a screenshot?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The save data isn't a common emulator save like SRM. which is the file most cart emulators use. Is data inside of vc data that makes it work. While I know GB vc is exact same since you can easily copy save data from emulators like VBA to VC and use it with no problem, other VC games are tricky. You may want to either figure out.

1. How to convert VC save data to emulator SRM data
  2. How to edit Virtual console data.
Save data conversion isn't something I know how to do yet. Why would I want to do it? Using emulators is possible to just add cheats and other functions i want then save and port it back, instead of knowing countless addresses and values to manipulate, and save data edits have far more restrictions than ram edits or rom edits.

If it was me, I would choose option one, and yes i know there has't been a way to do it yet, it may be better than that. Honestly i rather use NTR debugger ram search than actually trying to edit brand new VC specific save data since a common way is already well known from years of save data mods. Sorry if is not much help.

Another option maybe is to inject cheats into the rom and use a rom VC builder to compensate. Just inject your save data into the new rom. (If you have CFW and use vc injections) And another thing, wasn't there a way to alter rom data in VC with text file? I noticed in some gameboy games there is text data that make edits to the game like Shantae removal of the capcom publishing logo even though the rom is untouched. On the fly patching that nintendo VC been using since WII VC to patch or censor more stuff.:unsure:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have personally not seen any cheat plugins for the virtual console version, but then maybe I have not looked hard enough.
In this case I was suggesting NTR debugger, in the case of actually finding addresses that can be modified and using that to change values in the game running on virtual console. For example max money. Is not a plugin, is a debugger program I been using in various game. Noticing I can't actually find the plugins for game I play i just use that instead. But good luck with your situation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y