Gaming How Does Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Save?

NonStopInTheMix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well Hi there everybody. I had a problem with my pokemon diamond. [Im running it off a Supercard DS ONE] I tried to hack the .sav file so that i could change the name of my rival (i didnt like it and i was pretty far thru the game)

But while trying to do this i realized something. Even if i delete my .sav file for pokemon, the game still loads with my saved data on it =\ The even weirder part is that if i reformat my microSD card and then patch in a clean new pokemon diamond rom, my old save file STILL COMES UP
blink.gif

So i have the weirdest feeling that like theres more to Pokemon than the .sav file. Does anybody know about this? and is it possible that pokemon actually saves onto the hardware of the flashcart or DS itself?
unsure.gif

Note: if you wanna try it, take your pokemon game and throw in a new .sav file for pokemon diamond/pearl. chances are, you game will still run with your OLD save data =\ [please if you're going to do this, backup your data first. if you are afraid of losing your hard earned data please dont attempt this. i dont wanna claim responsibility for wrecking your game >_

feaks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i'd like to know as well. I tried to search the forum on the subject but there's like 10zabillions of topics...

btw i want to know as well cause i wanted to be able to play pearl AND diamond on the same DS (for my bro and sis) but apparently they share the same save (on DS-X) o_o

update : i can't even delete the save from inside the game (with up+select+B). I deleted the rom and retransfered it but the save is still there... wonder where this is saving...

Wolfsclaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lol, seems like nintendo included a funny save system there.
Random thought is that the save is back-upped in the RAM or something, but i thought the DS deletes whats in there after the system is shut down... but its just a random thought so i dont know anything at all
tongue.gif

Maybe its saved somewhere in the deep space of the system, where the firmware is also stored...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
It's impossible. RAM is cleared when the DS is off. You can't save to any rom, if you check the crc before and after the save, it'll be the same.

Sorry but you must be dillusional.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had the SAME problem man. What you gotta do is TRICK the SCDS. After you edit your save, rename it to something else. Then rename the rom to match. THEN, start your game. It's tedious but it works.

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ive had the same problem, though out of the supercards i believe it is only the supercard ds one, possibly because we have to take off the enable patch (which takes off enable save) because i have also a supercard sd and a rumble sd and you can change the save files, thats just my theory about the enable patch, though i think i may be correct

NonStopInTheMix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
aha an update, it seems the save file is either stored into the SUPERCARD DS ONE itself, OR the ds. I took my friend's ds + supercard ds one [all his] and put my microsd inside. surprisingly pokmon still ran with MY save file. However when i took my microsd out and he tried downloading pokemon and playing it [finally] a week later, he found me save file WAS STILL ON HIS DS!

this is pretty strange... =\

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just start a different game (i.e. not diamond or pearl) before you put the new pokemon save on the card. This should clear out the memory area where the SCDS stores saves during gameplay and force it to load the new save.

edit: Actually, it should be even simpler than that. Just start up the DS and go into the SCDS menu before copying a save to or from the memory card.

AFAIK, the SCDS stores saves in a seperate memory area during gameplay, then copies them to the file the next time you start it up. When you put a save file on the card without letting this happen first, it gets overwritten with the save from the last time you played.

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen that problem, but my DS froze and when i started the game back up it said the save file was corrupt and that it will load the previous save. I'm guessing it is somehow saving directly into the rom, the ds, or some new hidden sav.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
These games with 4mb flash save files actually contain 2 save files, one being the most recent save and the other being the 'previously saved game'.

Aril

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i'd like to know as well. I tried to search the forum on the subject but there's like 10zabillions of topics...

btw i want to know as well cause i wanted to be able to play pearl AND diamond on the same DS (for my bro and sis) but apparently they share the same save (on DS-X) o_o

update : i can't even delete the save from inside the game (with up+select+B). I deleted the rom and retransfered it but the save is still there... wonder where this is saving...

My friend got a a DS one and he had the same problem.
I just suggested him to make de different folder for each pokemon game.

Something like :

Root
-> Pokemon pearl
-> Pokem Diamond
-> Other games

And now it works fine, no more saving problems
ph34r.gif

NonStopInTheMix

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
*bump* sorry guys has anybody got any updates on this topic? because with the new os Supercard 0.2 my pokemon game is not sav file dependant but my friend's pokemon game still saves onto this ds =\ and is not sav file incluenced...

Ahren Cort

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I tried separating the Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl into different folders, but they still load the same save game. I'm at a loss here, people. Any ideas, because I want them to have separate save files that I can, ultimately, mess with to get version-exclusive pokemon on the same save by using my buddy for Palkia and then just regular saving for the rest.

Edit: For the record, I have a DS-X.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: