How does one make Homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Nujui, Jan 21, 2011.

Jan 21, 2011

How does one make Homebrew by Nujui at 12:53 AM (732 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I've always wondered how some people make homebrew. Like, how do you make a nes homebrew? Do you use anything from the source like a emulator? Or do you just build from the ground up? Please answer as I want to try and learn how to make homebrew.

2. Odnetnin46

Member Odnetnin46 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You use a programming language,but it really depends what kind of homebrew you want to make.
    For instance,IIRC,the Wii's homebrew sometimes uses C++.

3. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Looks like I'll have to learn somethings before I begin to try and make it. Thanks for the reply.

4. relminator

Member relminator GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    If you want to make DS homebrews, I'd say C/C++ is the way to go.

Here are some nice sites (aside from GBATemp of course ) that would be helpful:

DevkitPro.org
    Gbadev.org

5. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
  6. MJaoune

Member MJaoune GBAtemp Regular

United States
    First you have to study C++ and be good at it, second you have to study the DS hardware, third you have to study LibNDS Language. It is not easy

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    NES and SNES homebrew tends to be programmed directly in assembly. N64 has virtually no homebrew. Gamecube and beyond tends to be written in C and C++, using toolchains written by a few select individuals who are skilled enough to make the build tools in assembly and the such.

For GBA and NDS, I would *HIGHLY* suggest looking at the Tonc tutorials. They're a bit difficult if you've never programmed in the C or C++ languages ever, but they're the easiest common link between the states off "I have an idea" and "I made a homebrew program!"

For the DS, there *is* PALib, which is a wrapper on top of the standard DS libraries that is a bit easier to understand and easier to program in, but it's an unsupported library. The creator of the DS built tools highly highly suggests against using PAlib, and it tends to break after every new release of DevKitARM/DevKitPRO.

There's also this "DS App Studio" thing which I believe is like a type of Game Maker for the DS, but with simplicity comes limitations. The easier it is to program, the harder it is to make the hardware do exactly what you want.

8. RoyalCardMan

Member RoyalCardMan DS App Studio™ Developer

United States
    DS App Studio is like DS Game Maker, but it has less limitations than DS Game Maker, being that DS App Studio uses DSAL for making Nintendo DS applications and games. Also, DS App Studio can make 2D and 3D Nintendo DS applications and games.