Hacking How does CIOSCorp Work?

craigrs84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does CIOSCorp incorporate the Gamma Backup Launcher code somehow? Or is it completely independant of the Gamma Backup Launcher code.

Is this the closest we are going to get to using the Wii's own internal software to play backups? Is it using the Wii's own loader code to boot up the backup, but with different code to handle the hardware I/O? Or is it simply a fake "disc launcher" channel that replaces the original "disc launcher" channel?

Why is there a limit of 3x speed for this? Does it affect both store bought games and backup games? Or do the store bought games still run at 6x speed with CIOSCorp installed? If so how does the system know the difference between a store bought game and a backup so that it can tell which code to execute?

What happens if I upgrade after I have installed CIOSCorp, without first uninstalling CIOSCorp? Will it brick my Wii?

If a brand new game comes out that includes its own updated IOS, does that mean I won't be able to play it since I'm running an outdated version of that IOS?
If someone created a new cIOS from that updated IOS and we installed it over all the IOS's again, would that correct the problem and let us run the most up to date games?

Oh, and if I simply install the MIOS patch from WiiGator's GC backup launcher, will CIOSCorp do the rest?

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you ask so many questions?
Does it really matter how it works?
1.Don't know
2.Don't know
3.Something to do with hardware i believe
4.No it doesn't wii bought games run at 6x backups run at 3x
5.Um not sure how it tells the difference.
6.No it won't brick your wii but it will be removed
7.Not in many cases the game is going to run on a ios you already have most of the times .
8.probably.
9.Don't know what you mean by do the rest?

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CIOSCorp "installs" the Trucha bug into every IOS on the Wii, so that any game can be run. Backups use the Trucha Bug to fakesign the Wii and make it look like it's a retail game so that it can be played.

The 3x speed is a limitation of the Wii I believe, but retail games can paly at 6x and so can some modchips. And the difference is minimal, maybe a few seconds here and there but you wouldn't really notice.

After updgrading with CIOSCorp... I don't know. Don't do it unless a guide tells you to.

And if a new game comes out then someone will probably get it to work within a few days.

MIOS and CIOS are completely different. MIOS for Gamecube on the Wii, IOS for Wii

And the c in cIOS is for custom (Or cMIOS which is custom MIOS)

And why so many questions? You can look this stuff up.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most of your questions have been already answered a thousand times. If you had actually taken the time to search a bit before posting, you could have found them yourself. Don't say you're curious if you expect everything to be delivered to you in your first post. Start here. And I suggest you read this topic if you want to have a nice GBATemp experience.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
craigrs84 said:
Does CIOSCorp incorporate the Gamma Backup Launcher code somehow? Or is it completely independant of the Gamma Backup Launcher code.
cIOSCorp modifies the IOS from your wii. This makes it possible to play backup games from the disc channel. No backup launcher is required

Is this the closest we are going to get to using the Wii's own internal software to play backups? Is it using the Wii's own loader code to boot up the backup, but with different code to handle the hardware I/O? Or is it simply a fake "disc launcher" channel that replaces the original "disc launcher" channel?
Games play through disc channel, this makes that every game can use the IOS it needs to boot. Hardware is used the same way

Why is there a limit of 3x speed for this? Does it affect both store bought games and backup games? Or do the store bought games still run at 6x speed with CIOSCorp installed? If so how does the system know the difference between a store bought game and a backup so that it can tell which code to execute?
Backups are seen by the wii as DVDs, who read at 3x speed,while "games" read at 6x speed,the wii was originally intended to read DVD, but that function was deleted. However, it still has some code to read DVD

What happens if I upgrade after I have installed CIOSCorp, without first uninstalling CIOSCorp? Will it brick my Wii?
It won't brick your wii (at least I think, never tried it)

If a brand new game comes out that includes its own updated IOS, does that mean I won't be able to play it since I'm running an outdated version of that IOS?
If someone created a new cIOS from that updated IOS and we installed it over all the IOS's again, would that correct the problem and let us run the most up to date games?
Games with a IOS on it???

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DarkLG said:
Why do you ask so many questions?
Does it really matter how it works?

If you don't want improvements from people new to Wii hacking, but capable of unbelievable stuff, then it doesn't matter how it works.

cioscorp is a package of several cIOS which replace all IOS (maybe except IOS4) on the Wii. All IOS with a seperate dip module, have this replaced with the backup dip from Gamma, and the others which only have 1 content file, are replaced with either WiiGator's or Waninkoko's cIOS36rev7(i don't know which one they used). Inserting the backup dip into IOS30, results in the disc channel identifying backups and originals.

If you play a game from the disc channel on a 3.2 Wii, the game is identified with IOS30, and then the disc channel looks which IOS is wanted by the game, and if you start the game that IOS is loaded right before the game is started. If that IOS is a backup cIOS you get backup play.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about what I posted it's just that most of the stuff he asked is answered in the Wii hacking forum.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DarkLG said:
Sorry about what I posted it's just that most of the stuff he asked is answered in the Wii hacking forum.

Sorry too. I didn't see your edit, you actually answered some of the questions.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya I did I felt bad for answering the way I did so I changed my thing and answered some of his questions.

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to give you a little help, IOS stands for Input/Output System, they control how your wii will behave.
You probably know something like it, the bIOS (b for basic) of your motherboard i.e.
The "c" in cIOS stands for custom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on...