Hacking how do you tell if a r4 is fake or not?

anoob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my r4 wont work on wood and everytime it says "menu?"!!!!!! same when i download the kernals

pic:

xnchuv.jpg

281v96e.jpg

is it fake??

1 more question: is the r4 you buy at gbatemp real?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's an R4 SDHC, which is a clone. The original R4 did not support SDHC (dead giveaway).

While shoptemp lists many sites that sell a copy of the original R4 (which will run Wood), we can't tell for certain that the shop will actually give you a legit R4. A good sign to look for is that the DESCRIPTION (not the title) mentions that it can run Wood.

Have you considered a more modern cart, though? There's better ones with way more features.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are 3 types of real R4s:
1). White/Black shell with Teeth and a spring loaded MicroSD, no SDHC/DSi support.
2). Black shell without Teeth and no springloader, no SDHC/DSi support.
3). R4 RTS put out by the M3 Team after the original R4 disbanded.

R4's you buy now are 99.99% guaranteed to be fake, however you can buy 1:1 (one to one, or exact) clones that are supposedly put out by the R4li Team who supported the original R4 with a few (semi buggy) menu updates.
Because they are exactly the same as a real R4, they will work with everything that the R4 works with like the official builds of WoodR4.

R4's with SDHC, i, III, Upgrade, Renovation, Ultra, etc are all using the R4 name to sell their carts. No team other than M3 had ties to R4 or permission to use the R4 name. However, not all R4 clones are terrible.
The R4 Ultra is an AceKard clone, but it will not run an AKAIO newer than 1.8.1.
The R4i Gold and R4iDSN can run Wood and support SDHC and DSi (not sure if they support updatable firmware).

nakedmoniker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the best firmware for a cart like that? i have the exact same one and i am running the original firmware that last updated at 1.18 and i am looking furiously for an improved firmware to use but can't figure out which is compatible or best for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)