Hardware How do you take out the 3g card on a vita

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You know i have to get to the left analog stick I'll have to get this apart.

But it uses some weird screws what are they.

My regular Philips 00# doesn't do anything to them.

IMG_20210914_141834.jpg

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why the bloody heck does everything have to get in my way from fixing stuff

Without the proper tools you can damage components, Just an advice from someone that has been through it. The better quality the most durable they are, I've bought some cheap ones that don't last a single thrust if the screw is very tightened. Since then I buy better quality ones while keeping them on a balanced price level. A very expensive tool not always means they are the best ones.

One more advice, those specific screws are very weak and are easily stripped.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If you're desperate, you could probably use some pliers and grab the whole head of the screw and unscrew them out that way. I don't recommend it but it should work.

One more advice, those specific screws are very weak and are easily stripped.
yes I think this was my experience as well, when I was replacing it with that psvsd thing.
often things seem to go fine and just one or two screws will almost ruin the whole process, that reminds me of some of the umd drive screws in the psp

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are Torx T2, only on Japanese 3G

Pliers are fine to remove the supporting posts. Wire cutters too.

I just did a video on it.

If you remove the card, it gives an error message. Video has how to get rid of that too.

You can still install extra internal storage after this like psvsd but it requires soldering wires.

If you don't need the 3G stuff, take it out permanently. It can drain the battery.

Last edited by Anderxale,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
[...]
If you remove the card, it gives an error message. Video has how to get rid of that too.

Thanks for the video!

Finally 3/4 years after I buyed my Vita (Ensö didn't existed by then and Henkaku was on diapers) and removed its 3G -useless- capabilities, I can finally disable that annoying error message.

Yes!

Thanks to everyone involved on the Vita scene (devs, homebrewers, designers, players, haters, etc.), thanks to them the Vita is finally a very good option to enjoy my emulation sessions (I don't like its first party games, but that's just my very own personal opinion).

Reactions: Anderxale

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What extra storage option needs soldering? I'm interested.
If you remove the pci like in the video, you have to solder on any external storage.

Internal storage can be psvsd, usb nand or I prefer usb port (so you can put in thumb drives or micro-sd usb adapter).

You could hook up a usb sony memory stick adapter if you prefer use psp media... endless possibilities but you want to try to stay low wattage so maybe not usb M2 adapters. Limited to usb 2.0

This is a 3G with a removed pci bay
93f494136fe5d3aed51c23d2bb0d03d0.jpg

Notice the white(yellow) and green are reversed. I had them backwards

Reactions: cearp and Hayato213

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice mod @Anderxale!

I'm planning on adding USB-C connection for battery charging and data connection to PC (no USB 3.0 or USB-C speed connection capabilities though).

I recommend using a smaller AWG size, as it's easier to solder on the very small pads the Vita has.

Reactions: Anderxale

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice mod @Anderxale!

I'm planning on adding USB-C connection for battery charging and data connection to PC (no USB 3.0 or USB-C speed connection capabilities though).

I recommend using a smaller AWG size, as it's easier to solder on the very small pads the Vita has.

Very kind recommendation! Yeah, as you can see there is plenty of room. I really like the thick silicone sheath because it doesn't burn or melt.

But this is tiny 30awg. I don't recommend going smaller than that for the 3.3v coming off the pci. Smaller for data is fine.

If you are connecting 5v at 1.5A for usb charging (vcc in) it's recommended (by professionals) to use awg26 for endurance (smaller awg number is larger gauge).

Finally... Sadly the pci slot is usb host only :( .
You can use the usb from the pci with any host driver available, currently we only have Yifan Lu's usb host driver so far.
You can also use the vita's pci to charge other devices like a charging a dualshock controller.

It's basically the same as the usb port on a pstv

Reactions: cearp

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are connecting 5v at 1.5A for usb charging (vcc in) it's recommended (by professionals) to use awg26 for endurance (smaller awg number is larger gauge).

That being said, for the 5 usb-c mods I've done I've used those tiny 30awg and they have lasted almost 2 years already.

When I do it for the usb-c mod for YouTube it will be the recommended 26 awg though.
de34864efbbdca0f51291f71664ac89a.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)