How do you study?

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what kind of studying it is.

If it's forced studying, I can only learn it if I already know the stuff that's required to learn it, and if nothing distracts my "concentration state" (which happens very easily because of attention deficit disorder). I was taken out of school, because I wasn't able to learn the material, because the teachers' methods were screaming and being butthurt, and that made me depressed, and I lost the motivation. I'm still having difficulties learning the old material that was "thought" in school, but damn, I learned 68 pages of biology stuff in less than six hours that usually takes ~a month for my classmates to learn ('cuz school is soooo frickin' slow :angry:). And I learned 100% of it the second time I went thru' it. Usually this is how I learn forced stuff:
I reassemble a small logical portion of the material 's text in my head, and I go through the words carefully. After I learned it, I wiew the images that belong to the next small portion of material, and I repeat this until the end of the medium portion that contains these smaller portions.
After I finish a medium portion, I re-read it fast, but I still interpret what I'm reading. After this, I take a look on the images, and I think about what the image says, and I try to "bind" most of the material to it by "logical equations". And I repeat this until the end of the material.
After I learned all the stuff in the material, I go thru' all the images again, and if I forgot something, I still know where to search for the stuff I forgot, I learn it "again", and basically I learned the material :P In reality, it's much more complicated as I described it here.

But if I don't know something by doing my own stuff, depending on how fast I find the answer, I may learn it instantly forever :P Or if it's a programming/mathematical problem, I just pop up a Lua shell/Visual Studio, depending on the complexity of the problem, and I find the solution for the problem by myself, and I'll use the solution from that on in all my projects :P

So yeah... attention deficit disorder can be a b**ch (in school at least), but it can help me learn stuff faster when I'm peacfully at home :teach:

I too suffer from ADD, but I'm on meds for it which help me a great deal, of course it doesn't make it "go away" but any means, just makes it a LOT easier to manage. ADD does in fact have its advantages to it however, its not all bad, as people that suffer from ADD/ADHD tend to be much more creative than those who don't (not always the case, but ADD/ADHD and creativity often go hand in hand).

For me, my method of studying really depends on the subject matter. For all my engineering/electronics/programming courses, I learn best through hands on, but for say sciences I need to read the textbook or I'm screwed, but as long as I read it, I'm good as I tend to remember things in pictures (really helpful on tests, as long as I actually study :P). For abstract math (not directly tied to anything, but straight up boring math courses) I need to do the same types of problems over and over and over or I'm lost.

Ironically, if the mathematics is directly related to tech (in an engineering/programming/electronics course) I get it without even trying, its only when its boring old dry math that I don't get it and need to work really hard at it. Part of that is probably my ADD, if I'm not interested in the subject matter, my mind wanders all over the place or I just want to go to sleep lol. Get tech/physics involved and I'm all over it :P.

I often listen to music when I'm studying and there are other people around (like on campus or at home-I have a big family, so I'm almost never home alone ><). I put my earbuds/headphones in/on and drown everything out and put on pandora or listen to some mp3's and it "gets me in the zone."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You too