OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried to flash my routers firmware a month ago and I'm pretty sure it failed. The router won't connect, even after resetting it. I looked at my settings and it says I have the firmware I have before I attempted to flash it.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried to reset it to default settings?

You'll have to share what type of router it is, if you don't know how to do that.

If its truely bricked, then you'd have to program the flash chip. Some routers have jtag points, but again thats going to depend on your router.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
But btw wait, "you're looking at your settings and it sais you still have the old firmware".... How? How can you check out those settings if you don't get an IP and etc. ("it won't connect")??

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fudgenuts64 said:
I looked at my settings and it says I have the firmware I have before I attempted to flash it.

If you can access the settings page, then it's not fully bricked. Try and do a hard reset by pushing in the button at the back for 30 seconds, while the router is powered on.

If your router was bricked the power led would be continuously flashing, and you wouldn't be able to access the router.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Easiest solution, buy a new one
biggrin.gif

Seriously routers arent THAT expansive :/

Otherwise try force resetting the software

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
fudgenuts64 said:
I looked at my settings and it says I have the firmware I have before I attempted to flash it.

If you can access the settings page, then it's not fully bricked. Try and do a hard reset by pushing in the button at the back for 30 seconds, while the router is powered on.

If your router was bricked the power led would be continuously flashing, and you wouldn't be able to access the router.
I tried hard resetting it. It can get into the settings, but I can't load any websites or connect wireless devices to it. I'm running Windows 7 and the network icon shows a
excl.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is not much help- that icon could simply mean that it can not get an address which could just be because DCHP is not enabled on the router (while this does not look to the the case here you would set a static IP: http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2009/11...ws-7-static-ip/ as the first half decent result of a search and fiddle with the settings there).

Can you access a website/file on computer on the same network as you?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
That is not much help- that icon could simply mean that it can not get an address which could just be because DCHP is not enabled on the router (while this does not look to the the case here you would set a static IP: http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2009/11...ws-7-static-ip/ as the first half decent result of a search and fiddle with the settings there).

Can you access a website/file on computer on the same network as you?
It looks like the DCHP isn't enabled. It just says 0.0.0.0. So all I need to do is set a static IP?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fudgenuts64 said:
It looks like the DCHP isn't enabled. It just says 0.0.0.0. So all I need to do is set a static IP?

It depends how you connect to the internet and your isp. ADSL sometimes requires PPOE, cable usually requires DHCP to your isp, often with a specific mac address. If you're uncertain you should try ringing your isp to figure out the settings.

The
excl.gif
can appear when you simply don't have internet access, while still having LAN access through your router. Open up a command prompt and type 'ipconfig'. Look for an entry called IP4 address. It should be something like 192.168.x.x. If you get the above your router is issuing internal addresses properly.

As for the wireless, check the wireless settings on your router. For now set it to no security to see if you can even establish a connection.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Easiest solution, buy a new one
biggrin.gif

Seriously routers arent THAT expansive :/

Otherwise try force resetting the software

Where's the point in saving money then?

It can be fixed I'm pretty sure. never failed a flashing though...

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fudgenuts64 said:
IPv4 is 192.168.1.100. Can't load any websites.

Well your router is definitely not bricked then. It's issuing you an internal ip address correctly, and you can access its configuration. If it was bricked you'd get no ip address, and wouldn't be able to access the configuation page.

Likely just a configuration issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...