• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

How do you feel/view credit cards?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the one hand, they're useful and have incentives such as cashback/points with purchases (this got me into a pickle myself with a my sister whom I added then she created a debt I ended up paying). While on the other, a lot of people lose control and spend money they don't own and bury themselves in debt.

From now on, ever since I started being more careful and strategic (a spreadsheet on Excel helps, bank statements, etc) about my finances and listen to Dave Ramsey on YouTube (in the background) I've changed my ways and use my checking account instead. This way I'm not using somebody else's money nor owing them.

Reactions: Kopimist

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long you can control your spending, then you should be fine, I mean even with a checking account if you can't control your spending you still be spending money. With credit card you have the perk to pay it back at a later time, get certain percentage back as reward. Need to have good credit if you want to borrow a loan from the bank.

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The problem with credit cards is that it increases the products' prices. Credit card companies basically get a cut for every purchase the user makes. In the past, the shop will say they will add a 3% fee if you use a credit card. But nowadays, they just increase the price of the product by 3% so now everyone including those who don't use a credit card gets to pay the extra fee too.

I think portions of your point/cashback that you get from your purchase are from that 3% fee.

But, everything cash is also not that good nowadays considering how expensive human labor is and the cost of handling cash.

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the person really. I don't have one rn but have had one in the past and maxed it out and had trouble keeping up with the payments. Moral of the story, know your own limits and if you have a tendency to lean towards spending a lot of you know you don't have to pay til later, don't do it.

Lots of people do really well with their credit cards however. I friend of mine uses his for everything and saves all his money til the end of the month and pays it in full. He does this for the Cashback/points and is really meticulous about it so really makes out well.

It's all about what the person's individual self control is like.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, you need a credit card, and you need to use it. Without it, it's nearly impossible to build a credit score, and without a credit score, you are going to pay significantly more for loans, if you can get them at all. If you ever want to own a house, you will need a loan, and even a small increase in the interest rate for your mortgage is a ton of money over 30 years. You will probably need a loan for a car too. Credit scores are also starting to impact things like employment as well.

There are a couple aspects to credit scores: payments on time, total amount of available credit, how many hard inquiries, length of credit history. To sum that up, get a bunch of credit cards, keep them open, use each one at least once per year and at least one more often than that. If any charge an annual fee though, close them as soon as you have a couple of cards that don't. The hit to your credit score is worth not wasting that money every year.

Secondly, always pay your credit cards off every month. As long as you do that, you pay no interest, and you will still build credit. No matter how you pay, don't spend money you don't have. While it's better to float a balance on a credit card than get hit with a bunch of overdraft fees on your bank account, neither should happen if you don't overspend. Try to save 6 months of expenses too so that even if something unexpected happens you can afford it without paying the very high interest rate credit cards charge.

Thirdly, and least importantly are rewards. Good credit cards will give you 1-2% cash back on everything and up to 5% back in various categories. Some also give up to $200 as a sign up bonus when you spend a certain amount in the first few months. Try to open a new card every 6-12 months both to boost your credit score and get that bonus. If you open too many too quickly, you will hurt your credit score from the inquiries and will have trouble hitting the minimum usage for the signup bonus. Try to pay your bills every 6 months instead of monthly for services that offer that like car insurance so that you can hit the signup minimums without buying anything extra. The services generally give you a discount for doing that too. Eventually you will have enough category variety to always get 5%. But remember, 5% is less than the 20% APR on your balances, so don't buy things you don't need or can't afford. Some cards give airplane miles or hotel stays or whatever. Only get those if you think you will use those things. You can always use cash.

Overall, it's a game you play with the banks. Play it well, and you can make a decent amount of extra money in rewards and lower loan rates. Play it poorly and the banks make a ton of money off you in interest and fees. Remember, just because a credit card gives you a $5000 limit, the real limit is your bank account balance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As noted above if you live in a hellscape like the US where credit score is a thing people care about for more than getting a loan (and they do, jobs have stopped/been stopped in some cases looking it up outside of obvious things like the financial industry but it permeates a lot of life there) then you probably want to game the system a little bit there unless you are earning enough money not to care.

More generally
Some people can't handle them. This is unfortunate, not sure what options they might have but assuming you have self control.

They do offer perks. Cash back and various rewards can be useful and gamed to do interesting things, and percentage wise it can add to something significant.

They come with interesting extras beyond simple perks. The dispute in case of fraud being the most obvious but another fewer know of is pretty much all the big ones will warranty items over a certain value (usually sub $100) independently of any retailer or manufacturer obligations.

Further perks might be reserved for fancier cards (proper rich types can call the credit card company and get reservations in restaurants that are booked out, concert tickets, upgrades to things, meetings with various people, advice on all manner of things) but even basic stuff you can call them up and still get some interesting things going on that might be more in line with your budget.

Personally I don't live in the US so have no great need of a credit score -- I will never earn enough to buy a house* (not to mention self employed = unemployed for the purposes of mortgages it seems and I really tried but nobody cares to employ me conventionally), and never buy anything on credit on principle alone.

*if 4.5x annual salary is the max (and percentage wise it makes sense as that is working your hands to the bone, eating beans on toast without the beans and hope you are not stupid enough to have kids, and your retirement is probably a reverse mortgage) then £200000 (bare minimum for a 2 bedroom hole, would never buy a flat/apartment as you are still renting at that point) means £45000 a year, which is a not insignificant salary.

Credit is also useful to have even if you do have immediately accessible savings -- even ignoring the warranty and fraud protections sometimes a deal really is an exploding one that you need to jump on there and then, or ensure suitably prompt and easy payment, or maybe you can use it as a bridging loan of sorts (got £5000 coming in next week and £5000 in the account, £10000 item comes up for auction right now and it will make you all the monies if you buy it for your business...). On occasion it is also noted credit can be had faster than you can realistically save as well.

In the US then it also gets more complicated. Just paying off the full balance every month will get you somewhere but the really good stuff (in addition to having mega salary in a stable company/high demand field and diverse portfolio of assets of course) happens when you actually use it/carry a balance -- funnily enough the credit agencies make more money when you actually pay rather than being a freeloader (I forgot the term the use for those that pay off every month but it is not a pleasant one that indicates you are a valued customer) so they give you a better score when your utilisation (that is to say of the max allowed what percentage you carry over at any given time) is a small but not insignificant amount, which varies from about 20% on the high end to 5% on the low but do your own reading on that one for the current value, and what you might want to do there as far as multiple cards as it all gets a bit silly. Makes me throw up in my mouth a bit like the affront that is credit builder loans (you take out a "loan" but get nothing pay them every month until you reach the amount of the "loan" and then you get it back, hope inflation and their credit charges on nothing did not eat too much into it, enjoy your marginal boost in credit score) but those are the rules of the game.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, you need a credit card, and you need to use it. Without it, it's nearly impossible to build a credit score, and without a credit score, you are going to pay significantly more for loans, if you can get them at all. If you ever want to own a house, you will need a loan, and even a small increase in the interest rate for your mortgage is a ton of money over 30 years. You will probably need a loan for a car too. Credit scores are also starting to impact things like employment as well.

There are a couple aspects to credit scores: payments on time, total amount of available credit, how many hard inquiries, length of credit history. To sum that up, get a bunch of credit cards, keep them open, use each one at least once per year and at least one more often than that. If any charge an annual fee though, close them as soon as you have a couple of cards that don't. The hit to your credit score is worth not wasting that money every year.

Secondly, always pay your credit cards off every month. As long as you do that, you pay no interest, and you will still build credit. No matter how you pay, don't spend money you don't have. While it's better to float a balance on a credit card than get hit with a bunch of overdraft fees on your bank account, neither should happen if you don't overspend. Try to save 6 months of expenses too so that even if something unexpected happens you can afford it without paying the very high interest rate credit cards charge.

Thirdly, and least importantly are rewards. Good credit cards will give you 1-2% cash back on everything and up to 5% back in various categories. Some also give up to $200 as a sign up bonus when you spend a certain amount in the first few months. Try to open a new card every 6-12 months both to boost your credit score and get that bonus. If you open too many too quickly, you will hurt your credit score from the inquiries and will have trouble hitting the minimum usage for the signup bonus. Try to pay your bills every 6 months instead of monthly for services that offer that like car insurance so that you can hit the signup minimums without buying anything extra. The services generally give you a discount for doing that too. Eventually you will have enough category variety to always get 5%. But remember, 5% is less than the 20% APR on your balances, so don't buy things you don't need or can't afford. Some cards give airplane miles or hotel stays or whatever. Only get those if you think you will use those things. You can always use cash.

Overall, it's a game you play with the banks. Play it well, and you can make a decent amount of extra money in rewards and lower loan rates. Play it poorly and the banks make a ton of money off you in interest and fees. Remember, just because a credit card gives you a $5000 limit, the real limit is your bank account balance.
You're right about cc.

But do you know who's completely against them? Dave Ramsey.

Credit cards are bad when irresponsible people use them while responsible people can make the best use of them and gain cashback/points wisely, that's the difference that Dave refuses to acknowledge. Hell, he even compared cc to drunk drivers.. wtf.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be against credit cards for myself until my debit card started getting lifted and used overseas. My bank literally told me to use credit cards for monthly purchases as that money is easier to recover than real money.

As stated above, many offer 0% intro rates, 0% on transferred balances, cash back and travel incentives. Right now, I have enough points on one of my cards to get a free ipad mini.

They are also useful in an emergency. I had to use credit to help pay for my mom's funeral in 2013. Luckily, my dad prepaid about 3/4th's of his funeral and had enough in his bank account to pay for the rest when he passed a couple of months ago.

As with everything in life, planning makes life go smoother, but for those times when life comes at you fast, it's nice to have a little backup.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a credit card purely as an international way of paying money in case PayPal isn't available. But I also made sure I got one where I don't pay any fees for not using it.

Otherwise they should be avoided at all costs. If you're in the US it's an good idea to have at least one that is free and use it only to pay for some monthly recurring thing and pay off the balance automated, like a subscription for shaving utensils, Netflix, or whatever else. That way you can grow your credit score to get fucked over less later with other loans. If you live in a less shitty place where that isn't basically a requirement to exist it's easiest to not have one at all.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you're responsible, credit cards are the best thing that can happen to you: buyer protection, cashback, rewards and so on.

Companies don't care if you are, because the few people who max out theirs every month are worth one hundred "responsible" owers.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
On one hand, the past few years were made possible due to my wife's credit and credit cards. Equally, my life has been able to improve drastically through having credit of my own. A lot of expenses are well, expensive and we don't always have the money right away to afford them. So being able to put them on credit and push off the expenses has been a great way of improving our living situation.
On the other hand, credit card debt builds up fast and we've had to do some pretty drastic things to keep on top of much of the debt. Unfortunately, my immune disorder has made keeping employment an impossibility, since I am often ill from the job or just life itself. So we've had a lot of moments where we've basically had to move money around, ask for money, ask for donations, and even sell some things we really weren't willing or ready to sell. Sadly, credit does both by helping keep us afloat and also struggling at the same time.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative