Homebrew How do you burn roms to disc for use with emulators?

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know the emulators support playing roms from dvd disc but how do you burn them?

All it says on wiibrew is

(4.7GB max size & ISO 9660 file format)

What is ISO 9660 format?

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
its a standard file system for burning disks, you can burn them in Nero or whatever app support its

e.g

Nero Express

Data - CD/DVD - Add Files(Roms) - Burn

Nero Burning ROM(NOT EXPRESS)

There several ways and apps you can use, but here a screeny of Nero Burning ROM

Select either CD or DVD from the drop down box at the top
Select ISO then the needed file system from the central dropdown box
Select "New" then add what ROMs you want adding then burn

nerop.png

Hope this helps abit, ive only ever done 1 DVD for my partners parents and tried every emu SNES, NES, VBA, SMS, and Gen and all worked using the standard Nero Express method

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know when playing the roms from a sd card or hard drive i can leave them all zipped.

Do i have to unzip them in order to play them when im burning it or can i just burn them zipped?

Thanks for your help.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
good question, i think Tantrics emus can decompress to memory im not sure, your best of burning 2 disks, one with zips and the other unzipped. i honestly cannot remember if i unzipped them or not as it was nearly 6-8 months ago now lol, if i was to guess then..... unzipped, i know that the SMS and Gen roms were unzipped as the emus could only read uncomressed roms at the time, not sure now though

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
make sure u have cIOS202 from Hermes cIOS installer and DVDx (i think its needed) from the newest Hackmii installer

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It worked leaving them zipped.

At least for the nes roms

Gonna burn a disc with nes,snes,and genesis all one one disc and see how that goes.

Thanks again for the help.

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both discs all roms were burnt to them zipped.

I burned nes,snes,and genesis all to one disc.

Nintendo and super nintendo worked fine.
Sega would only work if i updated the emulator version to gengx370.dol
If i used the version from wiibrew it wouldn't mount the dvd.

I burned all GBA,GBC,and GB to another dvd

GBA and GB play fine but it will not play the GBC ones.
Says something about rom file must be the first file inside the zip file or something.

I then tried playing the same games from a hard drive set up exactly how the burnt dvd was and they play fine.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe just a bug youve found in the emus, if the DVD only works when it wants to

about the zip thing "rom file must be the first file inside the zip file", are all your zipped roms single or do some have multiple files in then cause the first file in the archive might be a readme or something then the rom

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Only thing inside the zip folders are the .gbc rom files.

I just tried it again and on some i get "rom file must be first " thing

and on most of them i get invalid zip message when loading them.

Only happens with the gameboy color ones though.

and all are zipped just like the GB and GBA

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did some more testing and this is what happened.

I did not verify the first disc i burnt with all the gba,gbc,gb roms on it so i thought maybe it was a bad burn so I burned the disc again with all the gba,gbc,gb roms on it and verified it this time with imgburn.It verified but the gbc roms will still not play at all.The gba and gb roms play fine.I then burnt the gbc roms to a disc by themselves and they work fine now from disc.

So i have no clue as to why they will not play when they are put on the same disc with gba and gb roms on it because both gba and gb roms will play fine from that disc.

If anyone might know why it's doing this i would love to hear it.

I already have all the roms on a hard drive i use anyway.I was just bored and figured i would try out loading the roms from dvd to see how it worked.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
. emulators generally support only ONE file per zip, .zip are supported from DVD or SD, doesn't matter. If a zip file does not work, you might try to re-zip it manually and be sure to use the "Deflate" method (other compression method are generally not supported).

. ciOS202 is not a requirement because no emulators use it (i.e load it), DVDX is used instead

. some old compiled emulators are not compatible with the newer DVDX because it didn't existed at that time: a simple recompilation with the newest libogc fixes that

QUOTE said:
then burnt the gbc roms to a disc by themselves and they work fine now from disc.
either you had too much files in the same directory in the first dvd or it is a bug in the emulator itself

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had the dvd setup like this

vbagx\roms\gameboy advance\"roms are here"
vbagx\roms\gameboy color\"roms are here"
vbagx\roms\gameboy\"roms are here"

GBA = 919 roms
GBC = 529 roms
GB = 621 roms

When burning all three to same disc GBC will not work but GBA and GB will work.

When burning just GBC to disc they work fine.

I know the roms work fine because they will play from a single disc and hard drive without any issues.

Looking on wiibrew I do not see anything about a certain file limit per directory or anything.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
almost snap there

vbagx\roms\gameboy advance\
vbagx\roms\gameboy color\
vbagx\roms\gameboy\

with extra

0-9\"roms are here"
A-F\"roms are here"
G-L\"roms are here"
M-R\"roms are here"
S-Z\"roms are here"

Ive just checked the HDD and they are all single filed archives and zipped, so it could possibly be a new found bug you got there but ill check on my end soon and ill report back with HDD and disk sett-ups plus it gives me a reason to backup the roms to DVD in case my HDD craps out

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did have mine broke down to #,A-M,N-Z as well when i burnt them the first time but the second time i did it i just put all the roms in the same folder.

SNES roms work just fine for me i have NES,SNES,GENESIS roms all on one disc and they all work fine.

Only thing not working is the GBC roms when i put them on a disc with all the other GBA and GB roms.

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
almost snap there

vbagx\roms\gameboy advance\
vbagx\roms\gameboy color\
vbagx\roms\gameboy\

with extra

0-9\"roms are here"
A-F\"roms are here"
G-L\"roms are here"
M-R\"roms are here"
S-Z\"roms are here"

Ive just checked the HDD and they are all single filed archives and zipped, so it could possibly be a new found bug you got there but ill check on my end soon and ill report back with HDD and disk sett-ups plus it gives me a reason to backup the roms to DVD in case my HDD craps out

Also let me know how they were burnt.

I'm using IMGburn and it has a few different options for the iso9660 format.

iso9660
iso9660 + joliet
iso9660 + joliet +udf
iso9660 +udf
udf

I used the iso9660 + joliet but by default IMGburn has it as iso9660 + udf

I really dont think that matters though because all roms still work one way or another.

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
I did have mine broke down to #,A-M,N-Z as well when i burnt them the first time but the second time i did it i just put all the roms in the same folder.

SNES roms work just fine for me i have NES,SNES,GENESIS roms all on one disc and they all work fine.

Only thing not working is the GBC roms when i put them on a disc with all the other GBA and GB roms.

it prolly exceeds the allowed length for standard iso9660 when u burned them the first time with the additional folders .

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They didnt work the second time either though and i got rid of all the #,A-M, and N-Z folders and put them all in one roms folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy