Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gamefacks / gamefax same pronunciation is most universally used. A few people will say game f a Ques. Also nice engrish in the thread title
smile.gif

I still remember finding out that there's different ways to pronounce warez..some say wares, some say ware ez. But basically warez is the same thing as wares, they just replaced the s with a z to make it look cool.

btw - "Hello my name is Linus and Linux is pronounced Linux."

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Gamefax"

Just like SQL is pronounced "Sequel" by those in the know and the only one's who say S-Q-L in the office are P.M's who wouldn't know a inner join query if came up on the street and wracked them in the balls.

I once did hear a female manager pronounce URL as "Earl" and I had to LMAO to the dismay of all assembled.

Edit: and also Web Services DL's (WSDL) are shortened to phonetic "Wizzdle". It's common in IT to phonetically pronounce acronyms this way so anyone who tells me gamefax is wrong, is well wrong.

I've never heard of SQL called sequel in my 7 years of being associated with the Computer Science faculty at my University (I'm a post grad student). Not that I spend a large amount of time dealing with databases (haven't touched one in 4-5 years), but I did manage to get a High Distiction in the database class I took.

Maybe it's just around here, but unless the abbreviation spells something, it usually is spelt out. I've never actually heard someone say Faxs for FAQs, but I am aware of it because I've seen this discussed before on the intarwebs.

Then it must be regional. Didn't know that. But here it's "Sequel"

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I pronounce it as: Game F-A-Qs

I spell out the FAQs part.

Same here
I'm one of those people that really, really hates saying acronyms as a word, I always say the letters...

...apart from gamefaqs (and just FAQ as well) that is, it seems to be the one exception (gamefacks)
tongue.gif
I have the opposite opinion. The whole point of an acronym is to simplify things and make writing it much faster, so I figure you should say it as a word so that you are making it take a short time to say as well. Also saying letters sounds stilted and jarring mid sentence. It messes up my smooth lyrical flow.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/l6ek7TmdGE8?si=k_qXsn8Finqhz70P +1