ROM Hack How DO People Make Translations?

HunterJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thiss is a MIND boggling topic!!!!
wacko.gif

talking_translator.jpg

NOW there are alot of translations around for games and im sure lots of people here are asking themselves
HOW DO THEY DO IT
&
I WANT TO MAKE THEM BUT HOW
I would like people to reply to this if they can help us out! and if your just like me!
It is a great thing to be able to translate games as there are countless AMAZING games we want in English!
People go crazy
hate2.gif
trying to find out how on google!
We here would like the expertise of everyone on GBATEMP
Thanks KUPO
HunterJ
moogle.gif

The Moogle Master KUPO!

iPikachu

C3's personal flamebot and fail artist
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal

be proficient in the language you want to translate from.
be proficient in the language you want to translate to.
rom hacking?

if im not wrong :unsure

they hack the rom and get the script, then translate then hack the rom to insert the text using various tools.

and narin is the moogle master

HunterJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yer im good at both japanese and English!
thanks for the quick reply!
and he isn't the Master He is the Moogle GOD!!!

i was wondering if there were programs they used to get the script

neoxephon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to learn how to hex edit first, which should not take long as it is probably the easiest part of it all.

Technically, you can do all of it through a hex editor (well, as far as text goes and providing that the game doesn't throw some other complications your way), however things are a lot simpler if you or someone you know has the programming knowledge to make the tools. Pokemon is really the only game that has a premade tool ready for it. The only other games that do are the ones that someone started a project for, programmed the tools, then quit for one reason or another.

The biggest, most important thing is patience. Translating an entire game (specifically RPGs, which is what most people do) takes A LOT of time and can become frustrating and even irritating.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Few people translate games by themselves these days (not that it was common back when) but there are generally 3 main jobs:

rom hacker: Many seem to focus on using game specific tools, I am not entirely convinced such a thing is always necessary but people are welcome to work how they will.
Usual way:
For the DS at least follow release threads/import reviews/release dates.
Requests do get looked at for the same reasons.
Sometimes a hacker will pull apart a rom, make some basic changes, gather screenshots and go looking for a translator.

Find rom.
All DS roms use the nitrofile system at the base level (more than a few stack their own on top if it and practically all them have their own custom formats for something) so pull it apart or parse it with something like crystaltile2.

Figure out how the game stores text: can be in file, can be in binary, in the case of puzzle/simple games can be in a picture, can be in a sub archive (NARC and the like) as well as figuring out any pointers that have been used. Sidenote: while the nitroSDK exists and provides enough base formats to make just about any game only a fool would assume that is all they will see.
Once found and the format figured out document the format. Here is where a tool would be made for it in some cases or just converted into a more manageable/common format (I will often stick pointers in a spreadsheet as the manipulation tools there are good enough when combined with other things).

translators: If the average rom hacker spends a great deal of their time learning to pull apart code there is probably not going to be a lot of time to learn a language well enough to deal with the nuances* (slang, wordplay, jokes, use of text to convey something (think the translations of phoenix wright). By similar token the little bits and pieces the rom hacker picks up are probably the same sort of thing as learning all the little bits of a language.
The basics will probably be part of it as it can change what happens at a code level; as a start Latin derived languages aka most of the European languages have about 70 characters for the lot of them (upper case, lower case, Arabic numbers, punctuation, alternate/special characters not in English çêåë....) and it can usually be squeezed into 128 characters aka each character can be defined in 8 bits. 70 just about covers the kana (kanji are more readily used in modern games): you are going to need 16 bits for them almost always).
*reason number 3 why you never use a machine translator.

clean up: Often overlooked or performed by one of the team. In here can also be all the donkey work for the rom hacking side of it.... once you have done a few repointings or divined a few tables or made a few cheats it gets kind of boring and most people go looking for a challenge. This can leave little things like the extra punctuation to be found; you might see it around here with some of the more experienced rom hackers who will come in and give a hand with a few things leaving the rookie hacker to finish up or do the bulk of the hacking work.
Same with languages: you have effectively just translated an essay length of text and as such your grammar and punctuation may have taken a hit towards the end.

If you are new to this I instead suggest hacking an existing rom (new super mario brothers is quite good for this) or trying to figure out how an existing hack was done.

HunterJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks again
i tested with super robo gakuen and have made a sucsessful in certain parts
i have made yes no work aswell as area names so im gonna continue to learn
though ive had help from a great friend of mine

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
HunterJ said:
thanks again
i tested with super robo gakuen and have made a sucsessful in certain parts
i have made yes no work aswell as area names so im gonna continue to learn
though ive had help from a great friend of mine
How far you work on SRG? I have the next update, but I haven't release it yet because it seems most people don't like SRG. So, I'll release it after I made some further progress.

Shinryuji

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pretty interesting thread, it's surprising that you can translate a game with a minimum of 2 people (one if you are translating pokémon). Sadly this thread reminds me that I really need to pick up on my Japanese again.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
If you want to get into ROM hacking, I'd recommending practicing on Chrono Trigger. It a great game to learn things like relative searching and there is plenty of documentation on the game to help you.

HunterJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
on SRG i have translated a lot of text now and am working with someone else in becoming partners on translation.
on SRG i have completed all Items in game translate, yes, no and robot names and hero names and villains. i have translated about 20% of story line text

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Shinryuji said:
Pretty interesting thread, it's surprising that you can translate a game with a minimum of 2 people
Wrong. Only one is enough to start a translation, providing he/she knows the basics of it.

I'm no programmer, but I've already started some translation projects alone and tackled them alone for quite some time - it's a surprisingly good passtime and you actually help people play the games you translate (once you release it)
yaynds.gif

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a tool for translating HGSS? I wnat to translate it and replace the Japanese with Russian lettering and then translating the translation.

Or get me one for DPPt. Just wondfering, though. Google is NOT my friend.

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
HunterJ said:
on SRG i have translated a lot of text now and am working with someone else in becoming partners on translation.
on SRG i have completed all Items in game translate, yes, no and robot names and hero names and villains. i have translated about 20% of story line text
What "yes, no" (underline words) are you refering to? It seems you're making a good translation, I shall stop my SRG project. Are you going to release a patch anytime soon?

HunterJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ShinRyouma said:
HunterJ said:
What "yes, no" (underline words) are you refering to? It seems you're making a good translation, I shall stop my SRG project. Are you going to release a patch anytime soon?
it is upon requesting battles not to do with storyline.
i will when i have completed all translation possible
i might make a Heart Gold & Soul SIlver Translation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up