How do i update my 2DS to 9.0?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by theasker, Dec 20, 2015.

1. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    I've been reading and trying to figure out how i can update my 2DS to 9.0 a long time now..
    I'm currently at Version 6.0.
    I've been following this guide and almost at the bottom of the guide, @samiam144 writes how we can update to either 9.0-9.2
    But the step i can't figure out is the at the Requirements, where he writes, and i quote: "FBI installed in sysnand (Step 4a if you don't have Gateway or Ninjhax) OR any other cia installer on Sysnand".

I do know that i have installed FBI in emuNAND, and i have followed Step 4a and i choosed "keep" as suggested: "When it's done, it will ask what you want to do with the source. Select "keep" if you want to install FBI to sysnand later."

But how do install FBI in sysnand so i can proceed and update the 2DS from 6.0 to 9.0?:(

2. samiam144

samiam144 RĂ©gulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Do step 4a again, but select sysnand whenever it gives you the choice :)

3. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Do you mean that i should choose sysnand at 2. and 7.? :)
    And how do i know that it worked after i'm done? I don't want to mess up my 2DS because of a small error:P

4. kennyhi123

kennyhi123 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    just open your h &s app and if you see fbi it worked

5. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    I followed the steps, and it worked the fine the first time i opened both FBI and h&s app.. but when i opened "system settings", to see if i'm inside emunand or sysnand it said RX-E even though i choosed to inject the FBI to sysnand and also when i choosed to boot it in sysNAND.. RXMODE -> SYSNAND.,
    and when i closed "system setting" and tried to boot up FBI i get this message: http://i.imgur.com/kHFbTG7.jpg
    And when i open the h&s app i get this message: http://i.imgur.com/yHFU4Tj.jpg

Is it right? Or am i screwed? :(

EDIT: I tried to restart the console, and the FBI app was gone, and the h&s was still broken... But as soon as i launched rxTools and choosed to boot it with sysnand, both h&s and FBI worked. But in system setting is says RX-S Instead of RX-E...
    Is this right? Or am i still screwed?

Last edited by theasker, Dec 20, 2015
  6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    It put you back in regular system menu without any signature patches when you exited system settings which prevents FBI in your H&S app from running.

7. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Yea i noticed that but as soon as i launched rxTools again and choosed to boot it with sysnand they worked again..
    Please check and read the Edit that i wrote above. Am i good? Or do i need to consider something else before i update it to 9.0?:sad:

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    What Pingouin7 said is true.

RX-S means you are in sysNAND, so that means everything went smoothly. When you follow the guide to update make doubly sure that you perform step #13 (boot in Dev Mode) as if you boot rxMode in sysNAND instead of Dev Mode when you run SysUpdater it WILL brick. That's the only reason people brick their 3DSes trying to update them. So as long as you follow the guide exactly, you'll be fine.
    In the newest nightlies, Dev Mode is renamed Pasta Mode, don't let that confuse you as it's still the same thing.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 20, 2015
  9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    You booted rxMode sysnand, do not update in rxMode.
    Update only in devmode/pasta mode as mentioned above.

10. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Wait wait what?! :O:O:O
    Just to make sure i understand this before i mess this up... When i follow the guide at should i be booted in the "original" sysNAND or in RX-S sysNAND?
    And is it this button i should press if i want to proceed? http://i.imgur.com/wOCnVLU.jpg

11. kennyhi123

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Boot dev mode, yes

12. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yeah.
    You should start with the 3DS powered off ;) The guide tells you what to do.

13. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    the option in the pic is the one you want from there on in do not open settings app just do the steps in the guide only

Last edited by wormdood, Dec 20, 2015
  14. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Just to double check, when i launch rxTools i should be sysNAND and NOT in RX-S sysNAND?
    Yea i know it tells me, but i'm afraid to brick it:P:cry::cry:

15. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm not sure what you mean. You launch it in Dev Mode as mentioned, it's the same thing as rxMode sysNAND except without some patches. You don't launch rxTools from within rxMode if that's what you mean.

16. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    . . .devmode and don't open the settings app to look and see just trust the fact that you selected devmode

Ammako likes this.
  17. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    Yes i know that i have to choose devmode, but before i launch rxTools and choose Devmode, should i be booted in sysnand or in RX-S Sysnand??
    I'm not being rude, please forgive if it sounds like that, I'm very thankful for all the help, i just dont want to brick my 2DS for a "simple" mistake:sad::sad:

18. kennyhi123

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Don't matter just press Dev mode and you be fine.

19. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    from a cold boot, to normal fw sysnand, to rxtools menu, to devmode, to sysupdater, to 9.2, to win

Tony_93 and Ammako like this.
  20. theasker
    OP

theasker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2009
    omg it worked! Thank you!!!!!! :D:grog::grog::yaynds:
    But should i be worried that the h&s doesn't work at the FW boot and that i have sysupdater and FBI in the menu?

EDIT: i take that back about h&s, after i restarted the console, it disappeared :/
    Is that normal?

Last edited by theasker, Dec 21, 2015