How do I start GBA development?

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't know C, learn C. Be already comfortable working in it on a conventional platform.

After that point, install devkitARM. Read the examples and get acquainted with the key libraries like libgba.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it might be easier to modify an existing app or homebrew game that's open sourced. I might be able to help with compiling it.

Knightsurfer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been wanting to make a game for the GBA for a while now, where do I start? I'm wanting to make a platformer with some basic dialog system.
I'm mostly just a newb but cross referencing Devkitpro's files and this handy tutorial here really helped me get started.

music can sometimes be a bit buggy to set up so I reorganised the maxmod libraries a little to better suit my workflow, the easiest way to make music files is with an app called: OpenMPT

I haven't figured out how to save to flash memory yet but to save to SRAM this is basicly all you need to do:

Code:
#define CARTRAM 0x0E000000 // SRAM memory Adress.
#define SaveData    ((u8*)  CARTRAM)  //Treats the CARTRAM adress like it's an array,

char someVariable;

void SaveFunction(){
    SaveData[0] = 'T';
}

void LoadFunction(){
    someVariable = SaveData[0] ;
}

I plan to release my own "engine creation library" eventually to help other newbs,
but in the meantime feel free to ask me stuff.

Here's a little preview of one of many of my test roms here.

I have a lot more going on than what is shown in that demo, but as you yourself will likely do, I have reworked this so many times that all I have to show for it is proof the core basics work lel.

also if you are feeling particuarly clever, theres a handy dandy sheet of specs for the gba's many features here.

Last edited by Knightsurfer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E