How do I share a file over 5GB?

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm installing Windows 7 on my friend's computer, all his stuff is around 5GB compressed, which I need to back up.

His USB drives are broke, so I can't put it on an HDD.

How do I backup a 5GB file?

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well instead of just cramming everything into a single zip/rar/7zip/... file, you can compress the stuff across multiple smaller compressed file types, and then burning said files to DVD/CD if available. Otherwise, seen as you now have multiple smaller files, you can upload these files to a free file sharing/storage site, can't think of one at this time.

There is also Microsoft's free SkyDrive account, go and get your friend a free Live account, then look for SkyDrive, upload the files, restore, enjoy.

You could also take the computer to a repair shop and get a professional backup performed, but seen as the files are so small, and I don't think the benefits will outweigh the cost.

There are many more routes you can take, so if none of these work, Google can surely help you out.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you aren't formatting the drive, a fresh installation of Windows 7 will take all of your friend's files and put them in a folder called "Windows.old".

megafanzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to transfer his stuff.

When you install windows 7, it moves ALL of the old files into a folder located in C:\Windows.old

Just to give you a little hint that has nothing to do with this question, you can install windows by running setup.exe from the iso file itself, no need for dvds or usb. :)

megafanzero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alternatively, if you have another computer, you could use DropBox to transfer the files seamlessly.

Or you could just make another partition and just stick the files there.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bit-torrent is unrealistic because you would have t o set up the torrent. go to your house, download his files and leave them running. go to his house do the windows thing, then re-download them. i recommend having 7zip (or whatever you use) split the archive into 700mb parts, or 4gig parts. then burning onto cd/dvd. a free file hosting website would also work (megaupload) however you would also need to slpit the archive, and depending on your upload speed it may take a LONG time to upload them.

second thought, just barrow a flash drive from someone. you can pick up an 8gig for like 15 bucks.

chemistryfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Just create a partition and transfer the 5GB of files into that newly created partition. Then do a fresh installation of Windows 7.

Important: Do not install Windows 7 over the newly created partition with the backup-ed files.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I cannot believe no one has recommended simply using 2 DVD's. It's the easiest and it doesn't require any of that partition garbage or torrents or software or anything. :P
Good luck!
(Btw, Win7 sucks)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@