How to burn a "Enhanced CD", a audio CD with PC data

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Back around 2000 I had a Britney Spears CD which has the label "Enhanced CD". It was a audio CD which has some videos when inserted into a Windows 9x computer.

I can't find the CD anymore, but back then I had ripped the music to .wav files and copied the data contents with Windows Explorer to a folder. These files are still there. How can I make a CD with these files that works like the original?

With Nero I can burn a "mixed-mode CD" with both audio and data, but when played on a audio player it sees a silent "track 1" which I need to skip manually. But the original didn't had that, the music started at track 1 and the data track was not seen by a audio CD player.

How can I make a CD that works like the "Enhanced CD"?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back around 2000 I had a Britney Spears CD which has the label "Enhanced CD". It was a audio CD which has some videos when inserted into a Windows 9x computer.

I can't find the CD anymore, but back then I had ripped the music to .wav files and copied the data contents with Windows Explorer to a folder. These files are still there. How can I make a CD with these files that works like the original?

With Nero I can burn a "mixed-mode CD" with both audio and data, but when played on a audio player it sees a silent "track 1" which I need to skip manually. But the original didn't had that, the music started at track 1 and the data track was not seen by a audio CD player.

Regular CD burning software will have an option to create a new mixed-mode disc such as Nero Burning ROM and PowerISO. The silent "track 1" is actually the data that comes before the audio, so CD players made before the 90's will play this as if it was an audio track, which results in loud static noises. Track 2 is where the "actual" audio begins.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Per Wikipedia, it's an issue with earlier CD players. Since they were designed before Mixed Mode CD, they can't distinguish the data track from the audio tracks.
"This is caused by the player not recognizing the "data" flag bit for the track that distinguishes it from an audio track; these players were designed for audio CDs only, with no provisions to handle CD-ROMs with both data and audio tracks."

The workaround seems to be creating an Enhanced Music CD (Blue Book) instead of a Mixed Mode CD (Yellow Book). Enhanced Music CD was created to solve this problem.
"E-CDs are created through the stamped multisession technology, which creates two sessions on a disc. The first session of an E-CD contains audio tracks according to the Red Book. As a consequence, existing compact disc players can play back this first session as an audio disc. The second session contains CD-ROM data files with content often related to the audio tracks in the first session. The second session will only be used by computer systems equipped with a CD-ROM drive, or by special “Enhanced CD players”."

Fien

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then the Britney Spears CD was a "blue book" CD, I need that option.

Even on players from '00 it plays the data track as silence with a mixed-mode CD.

It seems like the "blue book" with the two sessions is called "CD-Extra" in Nero. And "Mixed-mode" is the one with the data in track 1, "yellow book". But Nero Linux has a bug making it not possible to add music.

I found out K3b can do it too by selecting Mixed-mode. At the burning screen there's a selection to put the data to the first or last track, or in a second session (CD-Extra). The last one makes the CD work like the "Enhanced CD" I had :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto