1. NoNAND

OP NoNAND Give me back my legions!

Albania
    So i finally decided to fix my switch and thankfully I put everything together and it's working as ut should now.
    The thing is. I can't put my backplate on anymore
    The previous backplate had stripped screws so i pried it up by force and now the screws are stuck in.

Please how do i remove them
    Tried rubber band and superglue and nothing works
    I don't have a drill and even if i had one I don't know how to use it.

Would someone please help me fix it

PS the the screw on the top of the right joycon rail us stripped too.

Help please

2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert

United States
    Very small drill bit

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    And remember next time that you take apart a Switch, ALWAYS push the screwdriver in extra hard so you don't strip screws!

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    in such circumstances, drilling seems like the only way. you either take a bit about the size of the screw and drill the whole thing appart (you likely wont be able to put in a new screw afterwards) or you could try to drill a hole in the center and try superglue again from there.

i'm not sure how common electronics repair shops are in your area, but if there are any, you could call and ask them if they have the tools to remove stripped screws

NoNAND likes this.
  5. NoNAND

OP NoNAND Give me back my legions!

Albania
    I hope they don't screw it up

Kanakops likes this.
  6. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Hi, i'm in the same situation, how did this end?

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    No two stripped screws are ever really alike and without at least high res pictures nobody is really going to be able to help with your specific case.
    Proper tools and technique really help in getting things out, but not everybody has a pillar drill/drill stand/mill (never mind with left hand bits of suitable size if going for that particular method).
    That leaves you with maybe making a guide (if you can't hold a hand drill still then a guide is little more than a block with a hole in it)
    trying some kind of compliant setup (rubber band or molten pen lid being among the more popular)
    hoping a flat screwdriver will fit, or milling/cutting a slot to fit one
    if there is a bit sticking up then maybe getting it to turn around with a punch
    if there is enough sticking up then gripping it with some kind of clamping action (not expected for small electronics)
    drilling in and using a screw extractor (they do exist for small stuff but are rare as anything, and usually even more useless than the bigger stuff) or drilling it such the head is gone with minimal other things damaged and you can lift it over (and possibly then have enough to grip on to so as to twist out).

Lostbhoy, ngoomie and Kanakops like this.
  8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    personally, I think @Shadow#1 has it. a very small drill bit to drill through the screw might be the best way to get at it.

Lostbhoy and Kanakops like this.
  9. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 3 stripped screws so i'm pretty much in a bad position

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    another option might be to use a gauge one higher than the screw. sometimes that can get out stubborn screws. that usually really screw them on at the factory, because they assume they won't have to be unscrewed anyway.

Kanakops likes this.
  11. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    By "a gauge one higher than the screw" can I know what do you want to mean? I didn't really understand even with a translator, what is a gauge ?

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    that's the size of the screw. I don't know what the switch uses, but using one level higher might get it out.

Kanakops likes this.
  13. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Oh ok thanks, but it can also risk to make the hole in the screw larger no?

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Thankfully, you only need to unscrew the middle screw on the JoyCon rails to get the backplate off. So you don't need to worry too much about that right now.

As for the backplate. If you got the backplate off, there should be a bit of the screw sticking up, which should be enough to grab the screw with pliers and unscrew it that way. I think you can buy replacement screw kits online, or if you don't mind, just leave one of the screw holes empty. If the backplate was damaged by prying, you can buy replacements for those as well.
    Failing that, you have the drill method. There are also special screw extractor bits, which also require a drill, but I haven't seen them in small enough sizes to work on those screws.

Stripped screws are often the result of using the wrong sized screwdriver. Make sure you use size Y00 for the triwing screws. Y0 is simply too big, it will not grip properly, I learned this the hard way.

Y00 size is kinda tough to find, most sellers don't specify the size that way, they just specify mm, which is completely meaningless.
    iFixit sells Y00 bits, and it's also in their Pro Tech Toolkit. After stripping a screw on one of my JoyCons, I took the plunge and bought one of those toolkits, and I haven't regretted it. Honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made. Having the right tool for the job makes all the difference in the world, it has saved me frustration, and saved me from breaking things several times already.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 21, 2021
    Lostbhoy, Posghetti and Kanakops like this.
  15. Posghetti

Posghetti Un-official ReVeluv Leader

United States
    Stripped screw are usually caused by using the wrong bit size or they've been over-torqued by the manufacturer or another user.

I work at an electronics repair shop and when we have to deal with stripped screws we'd be lucky going one bit larger, but we usually dremel them out (which always works)

P.S. Good luck if you own a Note 20 Ultra, those damn screws are hella over-torqued.

16. jkirk

jkirk Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    the only other way i can see you fixing your situation is taking a dremel or a file to cut a line into the screw head and then use a flat screwdriver to get it out.

Kanakops likes this.
  17. Kanakops

Kanakops GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I'm an intern at a hardware shop, I will ask if they can remove the stripped screws for me

18. OldBoi

OldBoi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    aawww man, I'd say your screwed.

Kanakops likes this.
  19. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Kanakops likes this.
  20. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    you might replace the screws with something more standard if possible. that's what I did with my 360 controllers. the standard controller uses torx security, and my screwdriver can't fit into the holes of the controller. as a result, I can't unscrew them without a flathead (the bottom two screws), so I have them all philips head now in order to get them out without using my main screwdriver, that just uses heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - stripped, remove, screws