How do I make a forwarded for Wii u homebrew please help

Norris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to make a forwarded for homebrew on the Wii u menu I'd really like to have the homebrew I use a lot available on my home screen I know that retroarch and wup installer have forwarders but I'd like to make my own for doom,flappy bird, Tetris and a lot of other homebrew ports btw I'm asking about WII U HOMEBREW not Wii I already now how to make a dol shortcut.

Norris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to make a forwarded for homebrew on the Wii u menu I'd really like to have the homebrew I use a lot available on my home screen I know that retroarch and wup installer have forwarders but I'd like to make my own for doom,flappy bird, Tetris and a lot of other homebrew ports btw I'm asking about WII U HOMEBREW not Wii I already now how to make a dol shortcut.
Btw I'm on Tiramisu cfw 5.5.5

Last edited by Norris,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is a way but no simple one: Code it.

First off a Homebrew running as a Channel needs to implement ProcUI correctly. That alone is a challenge as ProcUI is a beast, so many HB devs just didn't care. Second a homebrew on HBL reloads itself to exit back to HBL. A Channel should reload to the Wii U menu instead. For reload control have a look at https://wut.devkitpro.org/group__sysapp__launch.html as well as various sourcecodes (like Tiramisus) as there are also better but largely unknown reload methods.

After that many homebrews will just work. Others, like WUP Installer, will need a rewrite (if you look close you'll notice that WUP Installer HBL is a .elf file while the Channel contains a rewritten .rpx file, for example).

With that knowledge (as well as basic programming knowledge) it should take less then a year to make your first Channel. Then maybe less then three months for the next and from there on it's routine. In case you you lack basic programming experience (how do pointers work or better: How do you work with them, for example?) we might talk about years for your first Channel throuh.

//EDIT: To give you an idea about what a beast ProcUI is: I'm implementing it since 2-3 years into NUSspli, still it's not correctly implemented (but that's also extemely low priority for me as the only thing not working is sending the homebrew to background by pressing home - NUSspli is designed to exit on home press anyway).

//EDIT²: But go ask my beta testers how many months it took untill NUSspli channel was able to exit from all possible combinations (pressing B, so homebrew introduced as well as pressing Home, so ProcUI introduced as well as pressing the power key and so on)... And how many more months untill the last bugs with that where fixed...

Last edited by V10lator,
  • Wow
Reactions: Alexander1970

Norris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a way but no simple one: Code it.

First off a Homebrew running as a Channel needs to implement ProcUI correctly. That alone is a challenge as ProcUI is a beast, so many HB devs just didn't care. Second a homebrew on HBL reloads itself to exit back to HBL. A Channel should reload to the Wii U menu instead. For reload control have a look at https://wut.devkitpro.org/group__sysapp__launch.html as well as various sourcecodes (like Tiramisus) as there are also better but largely unknown reload methods.

After that many homebrews will just work. Others, like WUP Installer, will need a rewrite (if you look close you'll notice that WUP Installer HBL is a .elf file while the Channel contains a rewritten .rpx file, for example).

With that knowledge (as well as basic programming knowledge) it should take less then a year to make your first Channel. Then maybe less then three months for the next and from there on it's routine. In case you you lack basic programming experience (how do pointers work or better: How do you work with them, for example?) we might talk about years for your first Channel throuh.

//EDIT: To give you an idea about what a beast ProcUI is: I'm implementing it since 2-3 years into NUSspli, still it's not correctly implemented (but that's also extemely low priority for me as the only thing not working is sending the homebrew to background by pressing home - NUSspli is designed to exit on home press anyway).

//EDIT²: But go ask my beta testers how many months it took untill NUSspli channel was able to exit from all possible combinations (pressing B, so homebrew introduced as well as pressing Home, so ProcUI introduced as well as pressing the power key and so on)... And how many more months untill the last bugs with that where fixed...
Ok so there is no easy PC tool to do it easily you have to know some programming which I don't but thx for the info

Fafox

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I am also on Tiramisu 5.5.5 and I was wondering about a similar question. Launching the Homebrew Launcher from the Mii Maker is really annoying. Is there a solution to launch Mii Maker normally and have an application for HBL next to it? Also, could you pass me your work on the Nusspli forwarder? I'd love to test it since I only use this homebrew. Sorry if my English is not very understandable, I am French.

Norris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I am also on Tiramisu 5.5.5 and I was wondering about a similar question. Launching the Homebrew Launcher from the Mii Maker is really annoying. Is there a solution to launch Mii Maker normally and have an application for HBL next to it? Also, could you pass me your work on the Nusspli forwarder? I'd love to test it since I only use this homebrew. Sorry if my English is not very understandable, I am French.
yes there is a way ask in the tiramsui thread i cant help you

Fafox

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, thank you both for your answers, and thank you V10lateur for application which works perfectly. Now I just need to find a way to launch Mii Maker directly without going through the HBL.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Fafox

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I found a way to launch the Mii Maker directly without using the Homebrew Launcher, just delete the file : "wiiu/environments/tiramisu/modules/setup/50_hbl_installer.rpx"

I found this solution on :

Trophies
XP
I found a way to launch the Mii Maker directly without using the Homebrew Launcher, just delete the file : "wiiu/environments/tiramisu/modules/setup/50_hbl_installer.rpx"

I found this solution on :

Yes that should have been rather apparent in the first place, HBL_installer.rpx explicitly states on the guide page that it injects the payload.elf to be loaded into the mii maker. Now with this in mind you can delete that file to keep the mii maker, but unless you install the hombrew channel launcher (can be found here: https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases/tag/v2.1) you want be able to load Homebrew normally, so before deleting that I would suggest installing this as you'd basically just only have CFW with no access to homebrew unless you put the HBL_installer.rpx back onto the SD card.

Trophies
XP
Btw sorry for late response but if all you want to do is forward an existing app this isnt actually that complicated depending on the app you'd like to use. I've made a couple forwarders for simple RPX homebrew applications I have. But keep in mind with the context here, I said RPX, the method I use will NOT work with elf apps, and sorry if this information is wrong, as far as I'm aware it isnt possible to convert elf applications into RPX on the fly (automatically anyways, I'm aware manual rewriting is possible) so there is a small roadblock for certain applications. However in RPX format it works quite well.. forwarders I've made include homebrew appstore, Adil's and LetsTimeOut's NonHost and a few more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo"