Hacking how do i install emunand to avoid a firmware update

daskrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a good guide out there for me to use? This isn't for a 3DS flash card, it's just so that I could play my copy of Pokemon X without updating. I have a DSTWO flash card and I want to use it to install emunand.

Thanks in advance.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just turn off wifi if you want to avoid update.
if you want to update emunand, just make sure firmware says GW on the setup before you go into internet update.

daskrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pokemon x doesn't work unless i update. that's why i need to use emunand. i don't know how to install it. i have a DSTWO, what next?

daskrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what do you mean "the Pokemon update"? do you mean firmware 6.3? why wouldn't I be able to get that? I've been told I can do that. this is what i've been told:

>To answer your question, you can play your retail copy Pokémon X. But not before you get a flashcart, install emuNAND and update the emuNAND to a firmware that would allow launching the game (I think with X/Y, it's 6.3 or higher).

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Is there a good guide out there for me to use? This isn't for a 3DS flash card, it's just so that I could play my copy of Pokemon X without updating. I have a DSTWO flash card and I want to use it to install emunand.

Thanks in advance.

I understand you're doing this to play Pokemon,
but since it requires Emunand, I'll be partial-quoting myself.

Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Leaving system settings will let it boot back to system nand.

Here is what you should do.

When you first boot your 3DS, without using Emunand, create a few folders to show you are in sysnand, like this:

LwHN58V.jpg

Now install whatever, enter Emunand and insert your flashcart.
Now rename those folders:

ZueAfgY.jpg

(ignore the fact that my games don't appear on sysnand)

Now to be sure, power off and on.
What folders do you see?

If you see the sys folder again, you know which mode you are in.
and when you emunand, you see the emu folders, you know what mode you are in :)

Once you can confirm that the folder method is accurate,
you won't need to enter and exit to check again.

Cheers!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Using non updated emunand will let you play pokemon, you can't download the eshop update even if you update emunand to 7.2 as eshop is broken, so you can play it offline no issues, but unless you downloaded the 1.2 update before 7.2 released you can't play online

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Download the Gateway 2.2 software from their site, decompress it. Copy the installer from the Blue Card folder onto your dstwo. Backup the contents of your 3ds's (big) sdcard to your computer, and copy gateway's launcher.dat to the root of the card. Put the card back in your 3ds.
Run the installer from your dstwo on your 3ds. Go back to the system menu and enter system settings. Other settings, profile settings, ds profile. You should get to the Gateway menu. Format emunand. Now whenever you go to the Gateway menu you should be able to Boot Classic Mode, to enter emunand. Don't forget to copy the backed up files back to your sd card.

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did nobody else besides daskrip catch the fact the he doesnt own a gateway? He wants to play pokemon x without updating and without gateway. You need a gateway red card to enter thr gateway menu and format emunand right? Maybe not.... i dont know ive never tried to do it without the red card.

If im right the simple answer bud..... you cant.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did nobody else besides daskrip catch the fact the he doesnt own a gateway? He wants to play pokemon x without updating and without gateway. You need a gateway red card to enter thr gateway menu and format emunand right? Maybe not.... i dont know ive never tried to do it without the red card.

If im right the simple answer bud..... you cant.
Nope, you only need a DS cart to enter EMuNAND, I've been doing it for months without a Gateway.

OP, follow hippydaves instructions, but when it says "verified press a to continue" press home and exit dstwo instead. Also when you touch "ds profile" you have to hold L to get into the Gateway menu.

Reactions: CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See i learned something new and cool. So apparently you can enter emunand classic without a gateway card. I know gateway mode itself now requires the red card to be inserted but didnt know about classic.

I dont have to use classic only because i have a second always updated 3ds.

daskrip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Run the installer from your dstwo on your 3ds. Go back to the system menu and enter system settings. Other settings, profile settings, ds profile. You should get to the Gateway menu.

Thanks for this, but I don't get to the Gateway menu after touching "Nintendo DS Profile". I get an error that closes the software and makes the system restart. Do you know how to fix this?

edit: I missed a step. Trying again.

edit 2: Seems to be working! hippydave and abcdfv, thank you so much! You were clear and helpful hippydave. It's formatting now. If I have another issue with this I'll ask here again.

edit 3: Okay, I'm able to boot classic mode. Now how do I play my retail Pokemon X? I wouldn't just switch cartridges while my 3DS is turned on, right?

edit 4: I guess it's okay to remove and insert cartridges while the 3DS is on! I didn't know that before. Pokemon X seems to work. Wow.

edit 5: The only problem I have now is choosing whether to play in English or Japanese to help me learn. >_< There's furigana in this, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0