how do i install emunand to avoid a firmware update

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by daskrip, May 29, 2014.

1. daskrip
    OP

daskrip Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2014
    Canada
    Is there a good guide out there for me to use? This isn't for a 3DS flash card, it's just so that I could play my copy of Pokemon X without updating. I have a DSTWO flash card and I want to use it to install emunand.

Thanks in advance.

2. djricekcn

djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Just turn off wifi if you want to avoid update.
    if you want to update emunand, just make sure firmware says GW on the setup before you go into internet update.

3. daskrip
    OP

daskrip Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2014
    Canada
    pokemon x doesn't work unless i update. that's why i need to use emunand. i don't know how to install it. i have a DSTWO, what next?

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Can't get the Pokemon update on emunand ATM

5. daskrip
    OP

daskrip Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2014
    Canada
    what do you mean "the Pokemon update"? do you mean firmware 6.3? why wouldn't I be able to get that? I've been told I can do that. this is what i've been told:

>To answer your question, you can play your retail copy Pokémon X. But not before you get a flashcart, install emuNAND and update the emuNAND to a firmware that would allow launching the game (I think with X/Y, it's 6.3 or higher).

6. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    I understand you're doing this to play Pokemon,
    but since it requires Emunand, I'll be partial-quoting myself.

Do open the spoilers to look at the picture, to have a better understanding:

Cheers!

7. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    ^ I think he may be referring to the v1.2 update of Pokemon, to fix the save glitch.

8. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    if it's that, he'll need access to eshop...

.... which he won't have until GW patches for 7.2

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Using non updated emunand will let you play pokemon, you can't download the eshop update even if you update emunand to 7.2 as eshop is broken, so you can play it offline no issues, but unless you downloaded the 1.2 update before 7.2 released you can't play online

10. daskrip
    OP

daskrip Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2014
    Canada
    >Now install whatever, enter Emunand

How do I do this part?

11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Download the Gateway 2.2 software from their site, decompress it. Copy the installer from the Blue Card folder onto your dstwo. Backup the contents of your 3ds's (big) sdcard to your computer, and copy gateway's launcher.dat to the root of the card. Put the card back in your 3ds.
    Run the installer from your dstwo on your 3ds. Go back to the system menu and enter system settings. Other settings, profile settings, ds profile. You should get to the Gateway menu. Format emunand. Now whenever you go to the Gateway menu you should be able to Boot Classic Mode, to enter emunand. Don't forget to copy the backed up files back to your sd card.

12. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Did nobody else besides daskrip catch the fact the he doesnt own a gateway? He wants to play pokemon x without updating and without gateway. You need a gateway red card to enter thr gateway menu and format emunand right? Maybe not.... i dont know ive never tried to do it without the red card.

If im right the simple answer bud..... you cant.

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah with a retail cart you can still play in classic mode

14. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Nope, you only need a DS cart to enter EMuNAND, I've been doing it for months without a Gateway.

OP, follow hippydaves instructions, but when it says "verified press a to continue" press home and exit dstwo instead. Also when you touch "ds profile" you have to hold L to get into the Gateway menu.

CFallenleaf likes this.
  15. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    See i learned something new and cool. So apparently you can enter emunand classic without a gateway card. I know gateway mode itself now requires the red card to be inserted but didnt know about classic.

I dont have to use classic only because i have a second always updated 3ds.

16. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    You don't have to hold L, it automatically goes to the gateway menu if you don't have a red gateway card inserted.

17. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Oh, they changed it since b1? I could only get in by holding L, but haven't tried not to with 2.2

18. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I guess so, I've only had it since omega.

19. daskrip
    OP

daskrip Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2014
    Canada

Thanks for this, but I don't get to the Gateway menu after touching "Nintendo DS Profile". I get an error that closes the software and makes the system restart. Do you know how to fix this?

edit: I missed a step. Trying again.

edit 2: Seems to be working! hippydave and abcdfv, thank you so much! You were clear and helpful hippydave. It's formatting now. If I have another issue with this I'll ask here again.

edit 3: Okay, I'm able to boot classic mode. Now how do I play my retail Pokemon X? I wouldn't just switch cartridges while my 3DS is turned on, right?

edit 4: I guess it's okay to remove and insert cartridges while the 3DS is on! I didn't know that before. Pokemon X seems to work. Wow.

edit 5: The only problem I have now is choosing whether to play in English or Japanese to help me learn. >_< There's furigana in this, right?