1. Sonic Angel Knight

OP Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I currently have a pc with windows 10 pro 64 bit installed. But now I have a new pc with nothing installed. How do I copy what is on my old pc SSD to new pc SSD?

I want to make sure everything including files is safely transferred. I don't have a OS installed on the new pc, cause I thought I wouldn't need one. But if I do, where would be best place to get a product key to activate it? (Or if you don't mind sharing one) I'm only asking cause I never done this before. :ninja:

2. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    Well, that depends on what you're doing. Is your current PC a pre-built or one you built yourself? Are you planning on switching everything over to this new PC? In that case, why not put your old SSD into your current PC and use it as the boot drive?

The first question pertains to your Windows 10 license, and the other two has to do with your purpose for the PC. Because if you plan to transfer things over to your new PC, I'd suggest the boot drive method, or getting one of those SATA-USB cases where you put a SATA drive inside the case, plug in the power, and plug it into another PC's USB port to transfer and/or access the contents of the drive inside.

zxr750j likes this.
  3. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    You might use your old windows key to install windows on your new one. Copying "everything" to your new pc (except documents) isn't very smart, drivers and programs may be tailored to your old specific setup . Just reinstall what you really need.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  4. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    i often just copy documents and everything into an external drive, do you have one?

zxr750j likes this.
  5. Zalex

Zalex Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    Hi,
    You can use AOMEI Free to clone your old Disk.

Or,
    Since system info isn't clear,
    You can connect on an external case the old Disk and copy paste the needed files, - or through Network -.

Access to %AppData% | %AppData%\Local | %ProgramData% from Win + R and copy also those needed files to avoid to reconfigure programs allowing this method.

Last edited by Zalex, Jan 19, 2021
  6. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I never clone, I take the opportunity to reinstall everything.

Because you never know if you will lose the hard drive and all the software that you have installed.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - transfer, proper,