How do I desolder the X1 Crystal from the motherboard?!

godstriker8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm trying to install the Gbaccelerator mod, and I need to remove this component.

But I can't actually access the soldering joints with my soldering iron or soldering wick.

Anyone have experience?

Attachments

• GBAccelerator-DS-Lite-Crystal-X1.jpg
    GBAccelerator-DS-Lite-Crystal-X1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 12

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are replacing it then take your bad set of snips and go to town.
If you want it back then in the absence of hot air or IR options, or even just the tip is too big you need to get a bit more creative. You can try flooding some solder in there to in turn melt it and suck it all out. Looks fairly tight though so you risk having to redo the resistors and cap (no idea what value the cap is either).
The more advanced still skill is get a fat old soldering iron that can kick out some heat/has enough thermal mass. Build a wall around the part (snipped off legs of standard through hole components will be fine) and flood it with solder such that it is molten on at least one side at a time to ease it up, clean and go from there). You might get away with the lesser option of tin said snipped off leg and put it in there, it will then get the final distance the pins to allow you to desolder it.

Reactions: godstriker8

godstriker8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are replacing it then take your bad set of snips and go to town.
If you want it back then in the absence of hot air or IR options, or even just the tip is too big you need to get a bit more creative. You can try flooding some solder in there to in turn melt it and suck it all out. Looks fairly tight though so you risk having to redo the resistors and cap (no idea what value the cap is either).
The more advanced still skill is get a fat old soldering iron that can kick out some heat/has enough thermal mass. Build a wall around the part (snipped off legs of standard through hole components will be fine) and flood it with solder such that it is molten on at least one side at a time to ease it up, clean and go from there). You might get away with the lesser option of tin said snipped off leg and put it in there, it will then get the final distance the pins to allow you to desolder it.
Thank you, managed to get it (relatively) clear after hacking at it with my flush cutters carefully for half an hour

Attachments

• 20231014_180733.jpg
    20231014_180733.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played