¿How did you get into homebrew?

dAVID_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, i got into homebrew around 2015, i was interested in it because my sister said a friend of hers told her that, with homebrew, you can play Undertale on the 3DS, then, i installed browserhax, then, menuhax, i updated to 11.1 not knowing that Nintendo was always trying to patch these kinds of exploits, much much much later, 11.2 came out, and i was 'oh, Nintendo's gonna patch something, well, i'll update because i want access to the e-shop, but then, the harsh truth came to me and it came HARD, i couldn't install cias on my 2DS, what's worse, i can't use waithax (still wouldn't be able to get an exploitable DsiWare game tho.), so i'm using userland homebrew.

Then, i started getting into Wii homebrew, which is pretty dead, the problem i have right now is, that when i try to load cios 222 from MMM (MultiModManager) it says 'can't load stub ios' or something like that.

Well, that's my story.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed an emulator on my iPhone 4. This site kept appearing while searching for romhacks. I joined once I got my 3ds to hack it to install emulators.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I got into *3ds* homebrew when i started hacking my Animal Crossing New Leaf town on January 30th of 2016 . I didn't knew anything about hacking and stuff...

Then in February i got into Pokemon Hacking.
On March i knew about the free games yes , is a cliche .But hey , we all have done it and then on March 18th of the same year i downgraded to 9.2 and installed RXTools with MenuHax *i was following a YT tutorial oops*.

And then i joined GBATemp on late march and then i got into Wii U homebrew :).
Also in 2014 i was interesed in Wii Homebrew , but in the end i never got to do it :sleep:

Diego788

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
September/October
Installed TubeHax
Installed Menuhax (homemenuhax named in that time)
TubeHax died
Installed CFW on January 3rd 2016, when downgrade came out
then i got homebrew launcher cia from yellows8
and i'm here ._.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was 9 years old my older brother told me about something called "homebrew" for Wii. I installed it. I E3 Flashed my PS3 not too long after then hacked my 3DS, jailbroke my iphone 5s, then got my PS4 on 3.55, and then got my other PS4 on 4.07. There is a lot more you can read the "About Me" in my signature.

Last edited by Zero72463,

DirtySprite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I was like 15 or something and I saw on YouTube that people were playing Pokemon on their PSPs. I had a PSP too, so when I saw that I wanted to join the party. I googled how to put Pokemon on my PSP and I came across Wololo's site. There I learned about HBL, emulators, and all that good stuff. Ever since then I've stuck around :3

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Started with piracy, and I eventually got interested in the Wii scene, but that didn't work out, so then I started to learn C/PICA200 Assembly after getting interested in the 3DS scene, and here I am now :lol:

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I was like 11 years old and i saw a youtube video "how to play free games on the wii" so i hacked my wii (usb loader gx) and started downloading games with 200kbps.Now i have hacked all my consoles except my xbox one.

Last edited by DarkGabbz,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
When I was on 9.x (I don't remember, but I was above 9.2) I saw all the amazing homebrew that can be achieved, and wanted to use it. Unfortunately, back then, Ninjhax was your only option, and I couldn't spend money on it, but then Tubehax came out, and I was happy I could finally use homebrew. Through that, I installed Menuhax, just in time before Tubehax got patched. Eventually, I made myself an emuNand, and not long ago, an A9LH'd sysNand.
And that's my story (for now). :)

Off-topic: If you're American, why are you using the upside-down question mark?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If emulation on PC counts as homebrew, I got into that around the late 90s / early 2000s. Used to play Gameboy, NES, and SNES games on a Windows 98 PC. The only actual game console I had was an Atari 2600 before I turned 12, but I got addicted to Yoshi's Island at a friend's house and just HAD to play it at home. I also was addicted to the Pokemon games, and using a Gameboy emulator I could move my save between Red and Blue so I didn't have to trade to get all 150 (except in the cases of Alakazam, Gengar, Machamp, and Golem.)

I didn't even have internet back then, I had to take multiple floppy disks to the library, and copy games to bring home. With Yoshi's Island, I remember having to use a multi-part ZIP archive so I could span one game across multiple floppy disks. Those were the good old days.

A few years later, I finally got my own SNES and N64. But Microsoft's original Xbox was the first console that I modded for homebrew. I never would have modded it, until the disc drive stopped reading discs. After my mom found out the warranty wouldn't cover it and it would cost over $100 to fix, she told me I could go ahead and rip it apart (I learned to build and fix computers at a young age, and was curious about the Xbox).

I read online about modchips and soft-exploits, and ended up installing the Bert and Ernie font exploits, Phoenix BIOS Loader, Evolution-X, and XBMC (before it turned into Kodi!). Some people here might have experience with this, I didn't have the Splinter Cell or MechAssault games, nor a method of loading an exploit onto a memory card, so I had to hot-swap the hard drive to my PC while booting XboxHDM (Xbox Hard Drive Maker). Upgraded to a 500gb hard drive, replaced the faulty DVD drive, copied all my games on the hard drive and then set up all sorts of emulators.

Since then, I have softmodded a Wii, Wii U, PSP, got a DS flashcart, got an N64 flashcart (64drive by Retroactive), A9LH'd a 3DS, it's all been fun but I'd have to say I had the most fun with the Xbox. Having to chat with an IRC bot so you could temporarily get access to a ftp server loaded with homebrew goodies, good times. For extra credit I ported one of my programming projects in college to the Wii, my professor was very impressed, and it was lots of fun. I really don't have any spare time on my hands these days, but one day I hope to be a contributing developer in the homebrew community.

Last edited by RHOPKINS13,

Aristox-0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I heard about it originally with the Wii, when i went to my friend's house and he had a cool modded out Wii. Then he taught me all the ways.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun fact: I was in the IRC chatroom with Team Twiizers when they were making the Twilight Princess exploit for Wii. I got kicked by Bushing for joking around too much about creative uses for the wiimote, having it duct-taped to the bottom of your car and automatically dialing 911 on your cell if it got flipped over. I also remember Brakken and the Tehskeen community that has long been dead.

Reactions: rikumax25!

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Back in 2012-13 I was watching MKWII glitch videos in youtube when suddenly a MKWii Custom Track video started playing. I then decided to install CTGP-R, then create my own MKDS custom tracks and then MK 7 :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E