How can you verify that the a private header is properly applied to rom? (Sky3ds)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by atkfromabove, Apr 1, 2015.

1. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    The state with lots of wives
    I dumped one of my games and got a private header for my Sky3ds but I don't know how to verify that the roms are writing with the new header or not. I used NoBanNoSky to create a template file with the private header and used it with the DiskWriter but when I backup the roms back to my computer and check the header to see if it was applied I get an empty header still? Any suggestions?

2. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    Bump? I can't imagine I am the first with this question?

3. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    You copy the rom back off the sky sd card and check the data at 0x1400 or whatever the offset it says is. Use a hex editor like HxD.

4. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States

I did that but the header wasn't changed. I thought that with Sky the template and headers were done differently? I didn't think that the roms themselves are actually ever modified but patched with the template file?

Could I just patch the roms before writting them to the SD to ensure that the headers are correctly on there?

5. Oishikatta

Oct 30, 2014
    United States

The data in the roms is ignored and replaced with what's in the template. I'm not familiar with the tool you used, perhaps try Sky Army Knife.

6. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States

Hmmm I will try again then because I verified that the header was applied to the template properly with NoBanNoSky before writing the roms but when I checked them they were not changed. I will see if Sky Army Knife has a different result.

7. super.bean

super.bean GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu
    I used NoBanNoSky on my template, I checked the template and my header info was there, written the rom on my SD, backed it up, and opened it using SkyArmyKnife, checked the header info, the unique ID was on FF FF FF ...
    i haven't tried using SkyArmyKnife's generated template tho.

If you tried, tell me what happened :D

8. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    That's the exact situation I'm in. I haven't tried sky army knife but I will post results when I do

9. fishkid

fishkid Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Indonesia
    the fast way to check is ....backup save and then open the save file with HxD
    Untitled-1.jpg
    check if your private header match on red block....

it does'nt work like that anymore since DW 1.0.6

10. super.bean

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

This proved it! Thanks fishkid :D

11. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. Would you happen to know if it is possible to patch the save file with the private header too? I had some games that I was playing offline until I got a private header but I dont want to lose the progress and start over. I backed up the rom and save for them before I formatted my SD to use the new private header.

12. super.bean

Mar 13, 2011
    Mandaue City, Cebu

I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on a public header and I wanted to patch it with my private header too. Man, we sure share a lot of problems. haha :D

But sadly, I went yolo and deleted that save file when I got my private header :(.

Tell me when it's possible tho, for tutorial purposes.

atkfromabove likes this.
  13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    SAK's Infos Reader does not read infos from games backed up with DiskWriter, it blatantly says so. The reader is currently compatible with .bin and .3dz files, backup compatibility will come next. ;)

14. Oishikatta

Oct 30, 2014
    United States

Can SAK get GRP's guessing thing too?

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What "guessing thing"? GW ROM Patcher doesn't guess the manufacturer, it uses C2 as the manufacturer and 00 as mystery byte for everything. As far as accuracy is concerned, you can only guess the size and CARD type. I didn't implement GW ROM Patcher's solution into SAK because it's inaccurate.

16. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    Hmmm even after using Sky Army Knife then backing up the save I am still getting the public header from before. What would happen if I change the header manually in HxD on both the rom and save file? Would it still work or would that break some things linked to the header?

17. RennyFlame

RennyFlame Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    Georgia

Are you making sure to rescroll through the games on the Sky3DS to fully update the ROM with its new header? When I was trying out multiple headers for Mario Kart 7, I kept getting error 002-0123 until I had the bright idea to rescroll through the game. Then my save data got corrupted(because of new header), it created a new one, and it worked online because the new header was applied.

18. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States

Ya I have gone through and made sure that I can play each game and that I cycle through them without any issues. I have never gotten the 002-0123 error before. My issue is that the private header is not showing in my roms even after I write them with my custom template created with the private header.

19. RennyFlame

RennyFlame Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    Georgia

Then you've probably been playing online with a public header. Even my backed up saves show my private header.

20. atkfromabove
    OP

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States

Well luckily I haven't played online yet. Some of the games will show the proper header but there are a couple like Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon Y, and Majoras Mask that continue to show the wrong header.