Hacking How can you verify that the a private header is properly applied to rom? (Sky3ds)

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dumped one of my games and got a private header for my Sky3ds but I don't know how to verify that the roms are writing with the new header or not. I used NoBanNoSky to create a template file with the private header and used it with the DiskWriter but when I backup the roms back to my computer and check the header to see if it was applied I get an empty header still? Any suggestions?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You copy the rom back off the sky sd card and check the data at 0x1400 or whatever the offset it says is. Use a hex editor like HxD.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You copy the rom back off the sky sd card and check the data at 0x1400 or whatever the offset it says is. Use a hex editor like HxD.

I did that but the header wasn't changed. I thought that with Sky the template and headers were done differently? I didn't think that the roms themselves are actually ever modified but patched with the template file?

Could I just patch the roms before writting them to the SD to ensure that the headers are correctly on there?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did that but the header wasn't changed. I thought that with Sky the template and headers were done differently? I didn't think that the roms themselves are actually ever modified but patched with the template file?

Could I just patch the roms before writting them to the SD to ensure that the headers are correctly on there?

The data in the roms is ignored and replaced with what's in the template. I'm not familiar with the tool you used, perhaps try Sky Army Knife.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The data in the roms is ignored and replaced with what's in the template. I'm not familiar with the tool you used, perhaps try Sky Army Knife.

Hmmm I will try again then because I verified that the header was applied to the template properly with NoBanNoSky before writing the roms but when I checked them they were not changed. I will see if Sky Army Knife has a different result.

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used NoBanNoSky on my template, I checked the template and my header info was there, written the rom on my SD, backed it up, and opened it using SkyArmyKnife, checked the header info, the unique ID was on FF FF FF ...
i haven't tried using SkyArmyKnife's generated template tho.

If you tried, tell me what happened :D

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used NoBanNoSky on my template, I checked the template and my header info was there, written the rom on my SD, backed it up, and opened it using SkyArmyKnife, checked the header info, the unique ID was on FF FF FF ...
i haven't tried using SkyArmyKnife's generated template tho.

If you tried, tell me what happened :D

That's the exact situation I'm in. I haven't tried sky army knife but I will post results when I do

fishkid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
the fast way to check is ....backup save and then open the save file with HxD
Untitled-1.jpg
check if your private header match on red block....

it does'nt work like that anymore since DW 1.0.6

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fast way to check is ....backup save and then open the save file with HxD
View attachment 17722
check if your private header match on red block....

it does'nt work like that anymore since DW 1.0.6

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. Would you happen to know if it is possible to patch the save file with the private header too? I had some games that I was playing offline until I got a private header but I dont want to lose the progress and start over. I backed up the rom and save for them before I formatted my SD to use the new private header.

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. Would you happen to know if it is possible to patch the save file with the private header too? I had some games that I was playing offline until I got a private header but I dont want to lose the progress and start over. I backed up the rom and save for them before I formatted my SD to use the new private header.

I played The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on a public header and I wanted to patch it with my private header too. Man, we sure share a lot of problems. haha :D

But sadly, I went yolo and deleted that save file when I got my private header :(.

Tell me when it's possible tho, for tutorial purposes.

Reactions: atkfromabove

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SAK's Infos Reader does not read infos from games backed up with DiskWriter, it blatantly says so. The reader is currently compatible with .bin and .3dz files, backup compatibility will come next. ;)

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SAK's Infos Reader does not read infos from games backed up with DiskWriter, it blatantly says so. The reader is currently compatible with .bin and .3dz files, backup compatibility will come next. ;)

Can SAK get GRP's guessing thing too?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can SAK get GRP's guessing thing too?
What "guessing thing"? GW ROM Patcher doesn't guess the manufacturer, it uses C2 as the manufacturer and 00 as mystery byte for everything. As far as accuracy is concerned, you can only guess the size and CARD type. I didn't implement GW ROM Patcher's solution into SAK because it's inaccurate.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm even after using Sky Army Knife then backing up the save I am still getting the public header from before. What would happen if I change the header manually in HxD on both the rom and save file? Would it still work or would that break some things linked to the header?

RennyFlame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm even after using Sky Army Knife then backing up the save I am still getting the public header from before. What would happen if I change the header manually in HxD on both the rom and save file? Would it still work or would that break some things linked to the header?

Are you making sure to rescroll through the games on the Sky3DS to fully update the ROM with its new header? When I was trying out multiple headers for Mario Kart 7, I kept getting error 002-0123 until I had the bright idea to rescroll through the game. Then my save data got corrupted(because of new header), it created a new one, and it worked online because the new header was applied.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you making sure to rescroll through the games on the Sky3DS to fully update the ROM with its new header? When I was trying out multiple headers for Mario Kart 7, I kept getting error 002-0123 until I had the bright idea to rescroll through the game. Then my save data got corrupted(because of new header), it created a new one, and it worked online because the new header was applied.

Ya I have gone through and made sure that I can play each game and that I cycle through them without any issues. I have never gotten the 002-0123 error before. My issue is that the private header is not showing in my roms even after I write them with my custom template created with the private header.

RennyFlame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya I have gone through and made sure that I can play each game and that I cycle through them without any issues. I have never gotten the 002-0123 error before. My issue is that the private header is not showing in my roms even after I write them with my custom template created with the private header.

Then you've probably been playing online with a public header. Even my backed up saves show my private header.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you've probably been playing online with a public header. Even my backed up saves show my private header.

Well luckily I haven't played online yet. Some of the games will show the proper header but there are a couple like Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon Y, and Majoras Mask that continue to show the wrong header.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Date sticks